Babies: 9 - 12 Months

daycare users *opinions please

I have just opened a licensed daycare from my home. I'm going to be keeping 2 brothers for this family. Mom wants to know if she gives me 2 wks notice if I'll discount her rates for days they aren't in care. I'm already FAR below average rates in my area, but figure I could work with her.

Do any of your daycares discount your rates for planned vacations? If so, how much?

What would you like for your daycare to do for you?

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: daycare users *opinions please

• Both daycares my DD attended gave 10 days out of the year for vacation.  You can use them here and there for days or save them for a week or 2 break.  Beyond the 10 days, we pay whether she is there or not.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • we pay whether DS is there or not but what she does do is if we don't use a day we pay for she credits us to use it at a later time.  We are part-time and DS only goes 2 days a week so if we need a 3rd day we use a credit we also pay on holiday's (ie memorial day) that way she gets paid holiday's again though we would have a credit for later use.

• Loading the player...
  • imageEllasMommy2010:
    Both daycares my DD attended gave 10 days out of the year for vacation.  You can use them here and there for days or save them for a week or 2 break.  Beyond the 10 days, we pay whether she is there or not.

This for us, too.

• When DS attended an In-home daycare, we had no days off and our daycare lady took 4 weeks off per year, with us paying her for 3 of them (kinda crazy).  Now that DS is in a center, they are only closed major holidays and we are allowed up to 5 days off per year but only if given 2 weeks notice and they must all be taken in the same week.  (We do not pay for the holidays)
  • I pay only for the days DS goes to daycare.
    #rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We get 20 days per year to use as vacation days that we do not pay for. These days have to have 1 week notice. Otherwise we pay whether LO is there or not.
  • We only pay for what we use. It came in real handy since we had snow days the last two days and I'm a teacher. It would have been silly to drive him all the way to day care (by my work) in the snow. We also have an understanding that she can take days as needed but we don't pay her for those either. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a DC on backup for my Nanny. I pay per day.  Of course that's a parent's preference.

However, business wise I like the idea of up to X amount of discounted days for vacation.  Also, let her know if she can find a 'stand in' (during a school vacation for example) she won't need to pay.

• I've used 3 different places and had 3 different experiences.

1st - In home DCP - they gave us 10 vacation days that we could use and didn't have to pay.  You could use 1 day at a time (just take a Friday off) as long as you gave 1 week's notice.  Last minute or sick days we paid.  Holidays we paid unless we used vacation days.

2nd - Center - they gave us 10 vacation days to use, but they had to be used in full-week increments and with 1 or 2 weeks notice (I can't remember.)   Last minute, sick days or 1 vacation day in a week we paid.  Holidays we paid also.

Current - Center - We technically get 15 vacation days, however they say that we are going to pay for 49 weeks of care (3 weeks off) and then divide that total by 52 weeks.  We then pay a lower rate every week...but we have to pay every single week.  I like it better, because even if you don't take 3 weeks of vacation you get the cost benefit.

Bianca image.
  • The way I did it was if I was sick, out of town, couldn't watch the kids for any reason (not including holidays) I wasn't paid. If the child is sick, our out for whatever reason, I still got paid. If i'm open and the child doesn't come, I still need to make income; I was available to watch the kids. But, I did give one week vacation no pay for them a year. But, to answer your question, I would not prorate the rate. I made clear that my rates were weekly, and set no matter how many days they attend. HTH.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"