Babies: 0 - 3 Months

New to this board...lactation question

I delivered one week ago today.  My milk "came in" Monday morning however, it's yellowish, so I guess that means it's still mixed with the colostrum.  Problem is, LO is nursing all of the time because she isn't getting satisfied.  Have had to supplement a little just to give my breasts a rest. Have yet to feel the "let-down" everyone is telling me that I will feel.  My doc told me upon my hospital discharge to call her if I thought I needed an herbal supplement to get the milk flowing.  Left a voicemail for her and am awaiting a return call. 

Anyone else in the same boat???  Advice???

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

Re: New to this board...lactation question

• I have frozen milk from 2-3 weeks in that is still yellowish, that is totally normal.

LO is nursing all the time because she is a newborn- I nursed round the clock for two weeks, that does not mean she is still hungry! This piss poor logic/advice is why so many women don't breastfeed for longer. You will know LO is getting enough to eat based on diapers, 5-6 wet and 3-4 poopy I think is the standard for the day.

You may not ever feel a let down, I just started feeling it this week and LO is 8 weeks. That is totally normal not to feel it for quite some time, some women never feel it, it all depends.

If you are supplementing with formula and want to continue breastfeeding you need to be pumping when LO is getting a bottle to stimulate your breasts to produce, otherwise they will NEVER keep up with her appetite. You may not need herbs for your milk to come in, I never used anything.

Please go to kellymom.com and read, read, read!

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Our kids are about the same age.  I had my son on 12/31 and it took until about this week for my milk to turn white.  My son had jaundice during his first week.  I worried that he wasn't getting enough too, but I didn't give up.  I did feel let down and mine is almost painful...not so much now.  He was not getting enough and wasn't pooping and was barely wet.  He was trying to eat, but my milk was slow to come in.  I would pump to supplement him.  Now, he is eating better and doesn't need supplementing.  Hope this helps.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Mother of An Angel - 11/12/09
  • Loading the player...
  • In the beginning (first 3-ish weeks) LO's initial latch, while proper, was extremely painful and I didn't start feeling the "let down" until this week (week 4).  I also fed around the clock. Remember that babies nurse not only for nutrition, but also for comfort-that helped me get through some rocky nursing times. It's good for LO to feel safe while nursing and learn to trust in you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine nursed constantly in the first 3 weeks, I wish I would have been more mentally prepared for that!  I also started supplementing to give myself a break.  I didn't feel the let down feeling - mine is a tingly feeling in my nipples - until about 6 weeks.  Fenugreek is an herbal supplement that is associated with increasing supply, but like PP said, probably isn't a problem unless not having enough wet/dirty diapers.
  • I thought my supply was getting kinda low so i tried this lactation cookie recipe for fun, (minus the brewers yeast bc i didnt have any).  I ate 2 of them and was engorged and leaky all day, so i make sure to eat at least 1 every day! GL!

https://www.drmomma.org/2010/08/lactation-cookies-recipe-increasing.html

• imageSnoopyLuv:

If you are supplementing with formula and want to continue breastfeeding you need to be pumping when LO is getting a bottle to stimulate your breasts to produce, otherwise they will NEVER keep up with her appetite.

This! Even if you aren't using formula, you still NEED to be pumping. I ended up with a kidney infection and a high fever for about 3 days and almost lost my milk supply. I didn't want to use formula and was told I should be pumping 4 times a day, once between the hours of 2am-5am, if possible, since that's when our bodies are at the highest level of milk production. I also started talking herbs (per recommendation) Gaia Lactate Support. Anytime you take herbs, you need to remember to skip every 6th day and give your body a rest to get the most effectiveness. Also remember to drink LOTS of water! That seems to be one of the biggest reasons women lose their supply.. Hope this helps..

• imageSnoopyLuv:

I have frozen milk from 2-3 weeks in that is still yellowish, that is totally normal.

LO is nursing all the time because she is a newborn- I nursed round the clock for two weeks, that does not mean she is still hungry! This piss poor logic/advice is why so many women don't breastfeed for longer. You will know LO is getting enough to eat based on diapers, 5-6 wet and 3-4 poopy I think is the standard for the day.

You may not ever feel a let down, I just started feeling it this week and LO is 8 weeks. That is totally normal not to feel it for quite some time, some women never feel it, it all depends.

If you are supplementing with formula and want to continue breastfeeding you need to be pumping when LO is getting a bottle to stimulate your breasts to produce, otherwise they will NEVER keep up with her appetite. You may not need herbs for your milk to come in, I never used anything.

Please go to kellymom.com and read, read, read!

THISTHISTHIS!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"