High-Risk Pregnancy

Rh Negative- ??

Yesterday When I was at my Dr's Office, They told me I was RH Negative.  They gave me a brief overview about it and i did more research when I got home.  Now there's a slight chance (15% to be exact) that my DH is RH Negative too, which would make my problem go away, but i don't want to get my hopes up (he'll be tested soon)  I'm against blood transfusions for both me and baby, and they presented the idea of having a shot to kill the antibodies forming in my blood so that it doesn't affect baby.  It sounds like a good alternative, but killing things in my bloodsteam seems UHH super unhealthy.

Have any of you experienced this, and if so what were your options?  Will/were you able to have another baby?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Rh Negative- ??

• I think getting a rhogam shot around 28 weeks is pretty standard if you are negative.  I'm having mine tomorrow.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I am rh negative.. I found out after I had a m/c in 2006.. I was given rhogam (the shot you are talking about). I then got pregnant again in 2007 and had a shot of rhogam at 28 weeks and after delivery... I was able to get pregnant again and I had rhogam again at 28 weeks pregnant and after delivery. We did not know if dh was rh negative as well but it was confermed when ds was born in 2007.. we knew from ds bood type that dh has to be postive blood type. If you are rh negative it is routein to have the shot after  a m/c,  a termination, between 26-28 weeks pregnant and after delivery. hth!
    DD 11/5/10 born by c section DS 9/8/07 born by c section due to Pre-e/Hellp Syndrome m/c at 5 1/2 weeks 8/4/06 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Good,  that gives me alot more confidence.  We definitely want another child after this.  Thanks!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • you just get the shot- no big deal at all. I have had it for all three of my kids. easy peasy!
  • I am getting the Rhogam shot today as SO is Rh+, and like the others said you generally get it around 26-28 weeks. You will need to get one again after delivery if the baby is Rh+. It really is not a big deal so do not read into the negatives of what could happen.
    ~Amy
  • imageand Jessica says:

Yesterday When I was at my Dr's Office, They told me I was RH Negative.  They gave me a brief overview about it and i did more research when I got home.  Now there's a slight chance (15% to be exact) that my DH is RH Negative too, which would make my problem go away, but i don't want to get my hopes up (he'll be tested soon)  I'm against blood transfusions for both me and baby, and they presented the idea of having a shot to kill the antibodies forming in my blood so that it doesn't affect baby.  It sounds like a good alternative, but killing things in my bloodsteam seems UHH super unhealthy.

Have any of you experienced this, and if so what were your options?  Will/were you able to have another baby?

It doesn't sound like your Dr's office presented this as a routine thing.  Weird.  It is very routine.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Every woman should do her own research before blindly accepting any injection from her doctor. This shot is routine in the sense that doctors don't question it--just like they didn't question routine x-rays of the fetus and DES back in the day. 

Rhogam used to contain mercury (supposedly it no longer does--read the insert BEFORE you allow yourself to be injected). The product is created from someone else's blood, and I'm not sure what else it contains as I'm still researching it for myself.

At a minimum, please please get the product insert and READ IT before you consent to this shot. And then file & save it with your child's medical records.  My understanding is that other developed countries administer only 1 shot just after delivery, which would seem to reduce risk to the baby (still trying to validate this).

If you do a search online you will find mothers who believe their RhD crontributed to their children's developmental disorders--maybe that was before the mercury was removed, I dunno.

Nobody cares more about your baby's health than you do so please do your own research and then question your doctor.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have had a bazillion rhogam shots, from full-term pregnancies, miscarriages, ectopics, falling down while pregnant, after amnio...  It has kept my blood from freaking out about Rh+ babies, and the only ill effect I've had is some bruising at the injection site.  OH, and for some reason the darn shot is one of those you get on your bottom.  Each one lasts three months, so once you have one you won't need another for a while.  You only get them when pregnant, as well, it's not something you need to keep up.

It *is* a blood product, though, if that is a factor in your issues with transfusions. 

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • The Rhogam shot is no big deal at all. They give it to you at 28 weeks, and sadly it's a huge needle in your butt full of very thick liquid that hurts! It'll be a little painful for a few days, but other than that, much better than having a miscarriage like Rh Negative women used to. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"