Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Swaddling

Do you swaddle during the day for naps?  We swaddle at night and she sleeps like a champ but during the day she will wake up about 10-15 minutes after she is layed down for a nap.  I don't want he to get in the habit of only being able to go to sleep if she is swaddled.

Re: Swaddling

• How oild is your LO? I have read that swaddling is really helpful for the first 3 months because of their startle reflex - both day and night.

I swaddle any time DD will let me - sometimes she screams bloody murder - because she always sleeps better swaddled.

• Loading the player...
  • imagektworm:
    Do you swaddle during the day for naps?  We swaddle at night and she sleeps like a champ but during the day she will wake up about 10-15 minutes after she is layed down for a nap.  I don't want he to get in the habit of only being able to go to sleep if she is swaddled.

Why not?  DS1 slept swaddled for naps and nighttime until he was over 6 months old.  At that point, one night we just went without it.  He was obviously ready to be unswaddled, so it maybe took him an extra 15 minutes to fall asleep,  and after that, he never looked back.  

There's really no harm at all in swaddling.  My pedi said that many babies don't grow out of the need for that closeness/startle protection until closer to 6 months.  I'm not sure how old your LO is, but since your on 0-3, I'm assuming your LO is still in that "4th trimester" period, where she still desires that close feeling.   

To answer your question, though, yes DS2 is swaddled for naps as well as nighttime with a Swaddleme.  If I didn't, he would knock himself awake within minutes!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagektworm:

Why dont you want her to get in the habit of sleeping well if swaddled? It seems like she sleeps well at night when swaddled, so why not swaddle in the daytime too?

Personally, I think whatever you do at night (swaddle, for example) you should do the same for naps. Like, why should they have to learn two ways to fall asleep?

We absolutely swaddle DS for every time he sleeps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • I originally had that same feeling - I didn't want my baby dependant on swaddling to take a nap, but then I realized swaddling is something you can do anywhere. The reason to not let your baby become dependant on something to sleep (like holding, rocking, eating) is to make it easier on you as a parent when you have to take your child somewhere else and they need to sleep, or to make it so you don't have to spend hours with you child every time it's time to sleep. Swaddling is easy to take anywhere you go and allows your child to self-comfort without you needing to be their sleep "prop".  I started swaddling for naps and he sleeps SO much better and makes for a much happier baby later in the day and a better sleeper at night!

• Not really, but not for any reason. Mainly b/c naps are usually in his swing or in my arms during the day. If your LO is accidentally waking herself up, then I would do it. They eventually gain control of their limbs and she won't need it anymore.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If I swaddle DH, she (in her sleep) struggles so hard to get her arms out that she wakes herself up. At night, we swaddle her bottom half so she doesn't roll over on to her belly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMadison830:

We swaddle DS for naps & at night. Occasionally it seems like he's not happy being swaddled, so I'll take the blanket away and put him in one of those fleece jammies to make sure he stays warm.

Juliane2004 posted a link yesterday to the "escape proof swaddle"... I haven't tried it yet but it looks genius!!!

I think this method is genius!!!!!! The first night we tried it with DD a year ago (at 11 weeks old), she fell asleep by herself with no crying and slept for 7 hrs straight, going on to sleep 10+ hrs shortly after that.

We have used it with DS since day 1 from the hospital and he also (starting at 1 week old) falls asleep on his own with no crying and sleeps very very well.

Here's the link again. Hope it helps someone else like it's helped us!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K4VdZxwsu4

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • I swaddle for naps
  • imageoutdoorsygirl123:
    No. Only at night.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • I was in the "only at night" camp, but then realized he sleeps better for naps and is more calm throughout the day if he's swaddled.   
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I swaddle at night and if he is super fussy during the day.

• imagejuliane2004:
    imageMadison830:

We swaddle DS for naps & at night. Occasionally it seems like he's not happy being swaddled, so I'll take the blanket away and put him in one of those fleece jammies to make sure he stays warm.

Juliane2004 posted a link yesterday to the "escape proof swaddle"... I haven't tried it yet but it looks genius!!!

I think this method is genius!!!!!! The first night we tried it with DD a year ago (at 11 weeks old), she fell asleep by herself with no crying and slept for 7 hrs straight, going on to sleep 10+ hrs shortly after that.

We have used it with DS since day 1 from the hospital and he also (starting at 1 week old) falls asleep on his own with no crying and sleeps very very well.

Here's the link again. Hope it helps someone else like it's helped us!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K4VdZxwsu4

Good idea, its basically a DIY version of the miracle blanket.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemavs_girl07:
    imagejuliane2004:

Good idea, its basically a DIY version of the miracle blanket.

Yup, exactly. I like it because you can use regular blankets. You dont have to buy specific blankets.

imageimage
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"