Baby Showers

Shower for the second baby?

My mother and mother-in-law planned a shower to celebrate my first baby, Mia. Now I am pregnant again and my mother-in-law says it isn't practical to have a baby shower for your second baby but my mother believes all babies should be celebrated. The first shower was just a small one with family only and that's the way the second one would be IF there is a second one. I love the idea of all babies should be celebrated but I was just wondering if you had a shower for your second baby or if you're pregnant with your second are you planning on having a shower?

Re: Shower for the second baby?

• This is what I posted to this question a few posts below:

What my friends have always done for 2nd, 3rd, etc children is to have a luncheon with just our closest girlfriends, usually just 4-6 people.  We usually do a group gift or outfits or smaller gifts, but not a full blown shower.  Several times we have done afternoon tea, no host, everyone pays for themselves.  It's more to celebrate the baby rather than to shower with gifts.

I also see people talking about sprinkles for 2nd or 3rd babies, but I am not sure exactly what that is.

You could also consider having a meet the baby party once the baby has arrived, which would be for the sole purpose of celebrating the baby.

TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A baby shower is not about "celebrating the baby". It is more for the mother, in a way welcoming her to motherhood. The gifts you receive set up a foundation of baby gear for your family. Your daughter is less than two years old, and therefore you should still have all the gifts you received from your baby shower during that pregnancy. Having a shower for subsequent pregnancies is beyond tacky. Have a "meet the baby" party or little luncheon with your girls as PP mentioned.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • There are ways to celebrate a baby w/o having a shower.  While people will most likely bring a little gift no matter what, a shower is about gifts.  A "meet the baby" party, or a small luncheon, etc, isnt' about gifts.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Ditto ECB.  Celebrate w/o a shower.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    The Bee Hive Blog
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!
    25 Weeks - GOAL MET 52.2 Pounds gone! 27 Weeks Total Pounds Lost: 54.0
  • imageYellow_Daisy:

This is what I posted to this question a few posts below:

What my friends have always done for 2nd, 3rd, etc children is to have a luncheon with just our closest girlfriends, usually just 4-6 people.  We usually do a group gift or outfits or smaller gifts, but not a full blown shower.  Several times we have done afternoon tea, no host, everyone pays for themselves.  It's more to celebrate the baby rather than to shower with gifts.

I also see people talking about sprinkles for 2nd or 3rd babies, but I am not sure exactly what that is.

You could also consider having a meet the baby party once the baby has arrived, which would be for the sole purpose of celebrating the baby.

I like the idea of a luncheon, or a tea. A "meet the baby" party would also be appropriate.

• Nope I am not having one.  I don't feel comfortable having a full blown shower again.  I do have a registry for DH and I to get a completion coupon and I just turned down an offer for a sprinkle as well.  I am going to lunch with some girlfriends to "celebrate", but that is it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If all babies should be celebrated why doesn't your mother host an "Meet the Baby" party after your baby is born.  That way the baby really could be celebrated.  I don't beleive in showers for 2nd (or subsequent) babies unless there are extenuating circumstances (everything was lost in a fire, there are 6 or more years since the last child, etc) and even then I think it should be small. 

• I had a baby shower for my first child in 2005. I didn't have one for my second child but my mom and I are doing one for the third baby. It is mostly just a lunch/ meet and greet and I am doing a raffle for a gift basket. 
  • Thanks everyone(: I've never heard of a meet the baby party. That's all I would even want is just to celebrate him. We already have the big basic baby things that his sister has outgrown so we definitely don't need a full blown shower. Thanks again(:
  • My mom feels the same way. I am pregnant with my first and already she is excited about my future showers... When I told her I didn't want one, her response was the same "Every baby should be celebrated". Really I think it is more about the gathering of friends, planning the themes... that they really are wanting to recreate for you and the baby. To be fiar though, in my mothers' case, several of her friends have done showers for all of their babies. In that circle of firends, it is not felt to be tacky. They come with cute outfits or dipaers. It's not the same as a first baby shower. In other circles, it is considered tacky and would be totally frowned upon. 

I think a happy compromise, like several people have said, is a "meet the baby" party.:) Your mom can still have fun planning a fun gathering and you don't have to worry about whether or not it is tacky. Plus, out of town family members are more likely to take time from their lives to come to your gathering because the baby is already there :).

• I think that you should have a shower, or "sprinkle". If the baby is the same gender, then you probably won't need to have a shower for things like clothes. I didn't have a shower for my second baby, but I did for my third *b/c he was a boy, after having 2 girls. I am prego for the fourth and will be having a diaper shower, so the guests can get me something I really need DIAPERS, ha.  And if they also bring a little something else, what's the harm in that? SO I would say if the baby is a diff. gender the YES have a shower as big as the first, and if the baby is the same gender as the first, then I would still have a "sprinkle" where you word the invites like :

Bibs and diapers and bottles galore
    (mom and dad's name) are having one more
    Big (sister/brother) has plenty to share
    We're hosting a "sprinkle" to show that we care
    Come join our celebration before baby is due
    We don't know yet if it will be pink or blue

(alternate ending)
    Please join us to celebrate before the little (boy/girl) is due
    and share in their joy of baby number two!

That way your guests know your not expecting A LOT but are celebrating either way ;)

• I have had a few offers to throw me a shower/sprinkle for this new baby but I haven't fully accepted anything yet.  I did say I was open to a lady get together with something yummy to eat and have a little social gathering to celebrate.  My oldest will be 7 in March so I have nothing left and am starting over though I really don't need much as I know the drill this time around.   

I don't want to be tacky or have anyone feel that they need to buy me a gift but getting together would be wonderful.  

Ok thoughts?  

Mother to beautiful 7 year old son, and little girl born in July Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I completely agree - the shower is more to get the big items.  Although a registry is still a great idea; not only to get that big coupon at the end but there will also be people (such as grand parents) that will want to get stuff for baby.  There's still bedding, furniture, room decor, and maybe even high chair etc if the babies are rather close in age and your first is still using some of his/her stuff (as will be my situation).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"