Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Back to work last week; May kill my daycare provider

This week was a nightmare for daycare.

Day 1: He was there for 4 hours (thanks to my wonderful MIL).  They refused to give him an am nap so she went and picked him up because he was hysterically crying.

Day 2: No am nap despite me asking for help transitioning him to one nap.

: Gave him whole milk and I hadn't tried it yet.

Day 3: I come home and my baby has lumps all over his body.  DH says that daycare didn't mention anything.  So I call them.  They gave him a PB sandwich for lunch. 

:They also mention at that time that K "chose" to eat a ball.

: They also tell me that he has "defiant tendencies'.  He apparently sits in the corner crying with his blanket and REFUSES to join the circle.  He also wont let anyone pick him up. I think it's becuase he is exhausted and just wants to nap.

My kid is a good kid.  He gets into everything because he is walking fairly early.  He needs to be supervised. I have pulled him from the daycare and we are looking for a new one.  Am I over reacting?  Am I being too quick to judge?

My gut tells me that these people are not patient enough nor competent enough to deal with a baby (ugh-an 11month old defiant kid) 

Re: Back to work last week; May kill my daycare provider

• I would be LIVID. The food issues alone would piss me off.
  • W.T.F?? Get him out of there *now*!
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • They gave your kid peanut butter without knowing if he had an allergy???Unbelievable. You are definitely not overreacting. Find another DCP as soon as possible, and while your at it, report them to your local governing agency. From your description, it seems like they are engaging in potentially harmful practices.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i work at a daycare and we would NEVER give a child something a parent hasnt tried yet. that is just crazy. i would call the state and complain.
  • imagesoko987:
    They gave your kid peanut butter without knowing if he had an allergy???Unbelievable. You are definitely not overreacting. Find another DCP as soon as possible, and while your at it, report them to your local governing agency. From your description, it seems like they are engaging in potentially harmful practices.
    THIS!!   First thing in the morning, you should be on the phone reporting them.  That is unacceptable. You are def. right in pulling him. If they are doing this much already it will just get worse.  I know from experiece on that one!  GL finding a new daycare!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • It was just concerning thing after concerning thing this week.  Thursday and Friday I didn't send him.  My FIL came and watched him for the day.  I have sent an email to my MPP (member of provincial parliament).  We will see what he has to say.  I have to go to work this week.  We have arranged for DH, MIL and FIL to take days off in order to find something else.  Gawd...I wish I could stay home for another year :(  My poor baby.
  • That is not ok. I watch a little girl out of my house (so given it is just DS and this little girl) but I would NEVER do any of that. Why wouldn't they give him a nap? Poor baby!! Especially to help transition. And they sound incompetent to be giving an 11 month old pb! That's horrible. Have you talked to the director? Any way you can not take him this week? Do you have enough friends and family who can help watch him while you are at work? I am so sorry you are having to go through this. That has to be so stressful. 
  • Id be livid as well. The day they gave him cows milk I would have found someone else. You should report them and make sure they are meeting standards. If they are giving your son a ppj before he's one then they have issues.
  • I do not think you are overreacting at ALL and i would pull my kid. I would be pissed that they gave him milk and pb. and "choosing" to eat a ball??

all of this is totally unacceptable.

• imagekimandjared:
    That is not ok. I watch a little girl out of my house (so given it is just DS and this little girl) but I would NEVER do any of that. Why wouldn't they give him a nap? Poor baby!! Especially to help transition. And they sound incompetent to be giving an 11 month old pb! That's horrible. Have you talked to the director? Any way you can not take him this week? Do you have enough friends and family who can help watch him while you are at work? I am so sorry you are having to go through this. That has to be so stressful. 

It is an in-home daycare.  K is the youngest and the other kids don't nap until 2pm.  So, K gets up at 6am and then doesn't get to nap until 2.  That is ludacris!! Playing with choking hazards.  Being defiant.   Having allergens.  Too much to deal with this week.  Cried my eyes out until Thursday. 

We will make it work this week.  It is my priority to find something better.

• You are def. not overreacting. I would pull him immediately as well. Ridiculous! BTW-Love your LO's name:)
  • Just reading your post made me so sad for you and your little one.  Get him out of there ASAP and find something better suited for you guys!!  Good Luck!
  • Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???  Just the peanut butter thing alone would have made me go BSC on that lady.
  • everything about that would piss me off to no end. i would pull him from there and tell them they're fvcking nuts.
  • whole milk?? PB??? how on earth is this daycare certified even?!?!?!

• They also tell me that he has "defiant tendencies'.? He apparently sits in the corner crying with his blanket and REFUSES to join the circle.? He also wont let anyone pick him up. I think it's becuase he is exhausted and just wants to nap. this makes me want to fly to where you live and cuddle your little man. He's still a baby. I would tell them this - 1. Let him nap! 2. Pick him up so he's not crying in a corner by himself Sad and 3. Maybe if you weren't such douchbags he would actually like you and let you pick him up. Then I would probably punch them in the face. I'm actually pissed off for you.
  • imageStephy861:
    i work at a daycare and we would NEVER give a child something a parent hasnt tried yet. that is just crazy. i would call the state and complain.

All of this, plus peanuts should not be allowed in any daycare, peanut allergies can be so severe why would anyone risk it. 

At the daycare I worked at, we weren't permitted to bring in homemade things because they may have been made with peanuts or around them.

"Love is what makes pain bearable." - I love you my Angels. 
    **All After a Loss Welcome**
    BFP #1: 6/25/09 EDD 2/13/10 @ 6 weeks- Saw HB @ 9 weeks - DS born 2/11/10 (39w5d)
    BFP #2: 2/20/13 EDD 11/4/13 - Saw HB 3/19/13 (7w2d) - MMC discovered 4/13/13 (10w5d) - Est. loss @ 9w3d - D&C 4/14/13
    BFP #3: 12/19/13 (4 w1d) EDD 8/27/14 - 1/1/14 discovered it was ectopic/ tube had burst/ had surgery to remove tube (@ 6 weeks)
    BFP #4: 9/10/14 (3w6d) EDD 5/21/15 - natural MC 9/23/14 @ 5w5d
    BFP #5: 11/23/14 (3w3d) EDD 8/4/15 - Please be our Rainbow!

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageStephy861:
    i work at a daycare and we would NEVER give a child something a parent hasnt tried yet. that is just crazy. i would call the state and complain.

All of this, plus peanuts should not be allowed in any daycare, peanut allergies can be so severe why would anyone risk it. 

At the daycare I worked at, we weren't permitted to bring in homemade things because they may have been made with peanuts or around them.

"Love is what makes pain bearable." - I love you my Angels. 
    **All After a Loss Welcome**
    BFP #1: 6/25/09 EDD 2/13/10 @ 6 weeks- Saw HB @ 9 weeks - DS born 2/11/10 (39w5d)
    BFP #2: 2/20/13 EDD 11/4/13 - Saw HB 3/19/13 (7w2d) - MMC discovered 4/13/13 (10w5d) - Est. loss @ 9w3d - D&C 4/14/13
    BFP #3: 12/19/13 (4 w1d) EDD 8/27/14 - 1/1/14 discovered it was ectopic/ tube had burst/ had surgery to remove tube (@ 6 weeks)
    BFP #4: 9/10/14 (3w6d) EDD 5/21/15 - natural MC 9/23/14 @ 5w5d
    BFP #5: 11/23/14 (3w3d) EDD 8/4/15 - Please be our Rainbow!

BabyFruit Ticker

• You were right to pull him.  From your post I see so many things wrong with the DCP.  First of all, the food issues.  You do NOT give a baby food in which he has never had before and you certainly do not give a baby a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  Second, K is only 11 months old.  It's unrealistic to expect an 11 month old to "participate in circle time".  An 11 month old has the attention span of a puppy.  And not to let him take a nap?  I'd rather give a child a nap then to hear them scream and cry all day.  Who refuses to give a baby a nap?  That's absurd!

Good luck finding a new DCP.  Not all providers are like them.  I would probably call and report them on the food issues at least.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have pulled Colin for less.   They told me they were GOING to give him cottage cheese when he was 8 months old.  I said I didn't want him to have any diary till he was a year and they said too bad, it was state standards.  BS.  I pulled him that day. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Holy crap, you are NOT overreacting! You were absolutely right to pull him out.
  • Holy Hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would rip them a new ***! Definately do not go back there, report their asses, and find a new daycare or perferrably someone you trust to watch him. PB, milk, and a ball. WTF.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"