2nd Trimester

I suddenly can't...

brush my teeth without puking.

Seriously. I don't have m/s anymore but no matter what time of day I try to brush my teeth I start dry heaving.

Re: I suddenly can't...

• Try rinsing with mouth wash first to open up your throat a bit and use a smaller tooth brush. Kids sized if you have to. It works wonders. :)
  • My issue isn't while I'm brushing, it's afterward when I spit out all the toothpaste and rinse out my mouth.  For whatever reason I have to really focus or I'll dry heave.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I went through that for a while. It passed after a week or two. I just tried to focus on something else while brushing. Humming a song always worked for me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage.
  • It's so weird. I never had anything like that with my last pregnancy.
  • I have been doing that for about 22 weeks now!!  Every time I think it's getting better, back to dry heaving!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have had this the WHOLE time. It's miserable. The only thing I have found that helps is to bend over the sink and let everything fall out of my mouth as I brush.

Ok, that just made me feel sick typing it. Maybe I should have kept it to myself!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah that just started about a week ago with me too. I seem to be worse in the morning than at night but its bad either time. I switched tooth paste and tooth brush which seems to help somewhere but then the whole rinsing and spitting is still getting me. I'm hoping this is just one more thing I have to go through for a week or two (or more) but that it goes away soon.
  • Ever since week 23 I can't get through brushing my teeth without puking!  It's frustrating because I have to start all over.  I've switched from an electric to a manual and from strong toothpaste to a more mild flavored one. Nothing seems to make it better. Oh well, just another present from LO.
  • imageKatieWill2006:
    My issue isn't while I'm brushing, it's afterward when I spit out all the toothpaste and rinse out my mouth.  For whatever reason I have to really focus or I'll dry heave.

I have this problem too.  I usually gag when I spit or when I brush my tongue.  I didn't feel normal again brushing my teeth until after I had DD so I'm assuming it will last just as long this time. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Same thing here.. for me, it was the act of bending over the sink. It's like some weird automatic reaction !  Bending over = heaving.  It started with tooth brushing, but also gets me when I bend over to pick up things on the floor (like shoes or toys).

I found the Breath Rx toothpaste and rinse to be very helpful.  It helps with acid erosion more than regular rinse and the taste is more mild.  My dentist actually recommended it as an option for days when I couldn't get through a full toothbrushing. 

I hope you feel better soon!

• I've had this the whole time til about a week ago, and I'm 25 weeks.  I absolutley could not use toothpaste at all and instead used a combination of baking soda and salt (weird i know) to brush my teeth with.  worked like a charm
  • Ugh I have been like this the WHOLE pregnancy! I usually end up throwing up or dry heaving and I usually end up brushing my teeth at least TWICE every morning!!!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageerynalexis:
    Try rinsing with mouth wash first to open up your throat a bit and use a smaller tooth brush. Kids sized if you have to. It works wonders. :)
    18 weeks..same as me, so your baby is due in the spring not the summer, no?
  • Yeah, me too. It sucks! Some nights, if I'm not feeling 100%, I just skip brushing my teeth. I know that's not the best solution. I've also mastered a quick, kind of half assed tooth brushing routine where I do my back teeth quickly and don't rinse very much (those were two big triggers for me). It's gotten better since the end of first tri, but it's not gone. I'm sorry- it's crap to deal with.
  • That started at about 6 weeks for me! I sometimes feel like I'd be better off spitting out my toothpaste in the toilet, and I think I've thrown up more into the bathroom sink!!

UGH!

I sure hope it goes away soon!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've been having the same issue as of late. Boo.  I just try to do it as quick as possible anymore. If I'm half-@ssed, I just gag a lot and am done (no puking).  No fun.
  • imagebabypants11:

I have had this the WHOLE time. It's miserable. The only thing I have found that helps is to bend over the sink and let everything fall out of my mouth as I brush.

Ok, that just made me feel sick typing it. Maybe I should have kept it to myself!

Same thing for me, but only when I brush the back of my tounge. I usually don't have a sensitive gag reflex, but one day while brushing my teeth stuff came up and out. It was so nasty!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"