Trying to Get Pregnant

Would you switch jobs while TTC?

I'm got a very comfortable job working from home, but I'm bored too much of the time.  I've thought about looking for something else (that would inevitably involve a commute), but I'm not sure this is a good time since we started TTC.  I realize that it could take a while to get pregnant and that ideally I'd want to be at the job for at least a year before having a baby, but I'm just looking for some advice at this point. I see pros and cons to both sides, so I want to make a wise decision.  TIA!  
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Would you switch jobs while TTC?

• For sure. DH and I don't plan our lives around the 'what ifs.' Like you said, it could take awhile to get pregnant...suddenly a year goes by and you're still working from home, bored. Not cool, right? Now, hopefully you get your BFP MUCH sooner...but it's always possible that could happen.
    WEBONLY_NOPRINT_DSC_1509-2-2236294072-O
    DS #1 Born: 10/03/06, DS #2 Born: 08/06/12 My Cooking Blog
  • If I were in your position I'd stick with the work at home job. I WISH I had the option to work at home once at whatever point we have a child. I wouldn't personally switch either (even if I didn't love my job 100%) because it took some time to be eligible for maternity leave. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • If you had asked this question a month ago, I probably would have said no way.  My thinking is now along the lines that I can't plan my life around a pregnancy that may or may not happen in the time frame I'm hoping for. 

I'd say go for the job....let things happen as they are meant to.  I believe everything happens for a reason.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My husband and I are TTC and I am actually applying for another job today!

It would be with the same employer, just a different job. And I've thought about how my current job would be more ideal for a baby (I get to zone out a little bit!) but like someone else said, I physically can't plan my life around the idea that I "might" be pregnant at any time. I'm going for it and will let the chips fall where they may.

Besides, when you apply for a job it doesn't mean that you will actually get the job. And if you get an interview, great! Interviews are to decided if the job is right for you, so you might get to the interview and realize this isn't something you would actually want to do. Interviews are a process for both parties, I'd be willing to go for it... 

• Normally I would say not to plan your life around TTC and to go for another job BUT jobs that allow you to work from home 100% of the time are few & far between. I would love to be able to work from home now and would definitely love if we have a LO. Also, as pp stated, if you switch jobs, you may have to take a couple of months off of TTC or risk not having any maternity or FMLA benefits if you get KU and deliver before the pre-determined time ( mostly it's a year, so that would mean 3 months off or taking the risk).

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." -- Dale Carnegie
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." --Thomas A. Edison
  • I think it all depends on what you want. You shouldnt hold off because you are TTC but what if you get that BFP and 9 months from now you wish you could be home with baby? Save on daycare...and it will keep you busy.  in the meantime maybe pick up a hobby, start a daily blog, or scrapbooking...just throwing stuff out there lol. If it were my choose I'd stay. I took a job back in Feb because I didnt want to live with the "what-if I never tried" and honestly I hate it and wish I could go back to point A. Just some advice.
    Liam Tyler & Emma Grace 
    ...baby #3 boy MC at 10 weeks

• I actually just did switch jobs. I started my new position on the 3rd. Giving up all of my accrued vacation was tough -- however the payout for those days was nice. Through my interview processes I asked to see employee handbooks to check on things such as sick leave, maternity leave, vacation and so on. That being said -- I always ask about those things but this time, as we are TTCing, it was more important to me. 

Part of the reason I made the switch was because my old job was going through some major transitions and I wasn't super happy or comfortable with them and they translated into incredibly long hours and massive bad stress. Neither of which I enjoy.

FWIW -- The job I left and the job I just started allow me to telecommute. However the old job allowed me telecommute as an experiment in June and wasn't sure how to support me. The new job has 50% of its staff that telecommutes. 

Much love to all of my magical ladies.

• I did.  I think that you shouldn't base life on the what ifs.  I went from a hairdresser to a vet tech and now I LOVE my job!  I just didn't see why I should put my dream job on hold for something that could take a while to happen. Besides, if I do get PG, I will hopefully be able to inspire my child with my own experience.

GL!   

• Normally, I would say don't live your life thinking about "what-if's" but I am totally in the same boat as you. 

I don't particularly care for my job, but just recently they switched the telework policy and I now only have to go into the office once a week.  I know I'm not pregnant yet, but I will be eventually.  There will be many benefits: less time commuting (it would take me 1.5 hrs to get to work and almost 2 to get home), less money spent on maternity work clothes, and after the LO is born, less time that you're away from them.

Now if you'd be looking at another job that would give you the work from home option that would make you happier, by all means, take it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 since Sept 2010
    DX = Endo and right tube blocked
    IUI #1-3 - 50mg Clomid, 75iu Gonal, Ovidrel, Progesterone = BFN
    IVF #1 - ER = 9R, 9M, 8F; 5DT of 1 embryo (3 frosties) = BFP!!
    Beta #1 (17dpo) = 496, Beta #2 (20dpo) = 1318, Beta #3 (22dpo) = 2190
    EDD Oct 9, 2012
  • imageMrs. Mo:
    Normally I would say not to plan your life around TTC and to go for another job BUT jobs that allow you to work from home 100% of the time are few & far between. I would love to be able to work from home now and would definitely love if we have a LO. Also, as pp stated, if you switch jobs, you may have to take a couple of months off of TTC or risk not having any maternity or FMLA benefits if you get KU and deliver before the pre-determined time ( mostly it's a year, so that would mean 3 months off or taking the risk).
    Agree with this word for word!
    "If every word I said, could make you laugh - I'd talk forever".
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know I'm lat, so I'm hoping someone sees this! What kind of jobs are you guys doing that are allowing you to telecommute? I'm asking because I'm going back to school, and a job like this would be ideal for the changes that DH and I are looking to make. TIA!
    TTC #1 12.2009 BFP #1 7.2.2011 Baby Girl 3.17.2012
    Cycle 11 - Clomid 100mg + Follistim + hCg trigger + IUI= BFP!
    Beta/P4 #1(13dpo): 94.5/47, Beta/P4 #2 (17dpo): 625/19.5, Beta/P4 #3 (19dpo): 1285/18.2
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP Chart
  • Amor,

I am a grassroots trainer and organizer for a non-profit. Right now I am focusing on chapter growth and training of new advocates. I was a history/poli-sci major and then spent about 7 years working on political campaigns and in DC.

Hope that's helpful!

Much love to all of my magical ladies.

• imagemepclu:

Amor,

I am a grassroots trainer and organizer for a non-profit. Right now I am focusing on chapter growth and training of new advocates. I was a history/poli-sci major and then spent about 7 years working on political campaigns and in DC.

Hope that's helpful!

Yes, that does help! Thank you!

TTC #1 12.2009 BFP #1 7.2.2011 Baby Girl 3.17.2012
    Cycle 11 - Clomid 100mg + Follistim + hCg trigger + IUI= BFP!
    Beta/P4 #1(13dpo): 94.5/47, Beta/P4 #2 (17dpo): 625/19.5, Beta/P4 #3 (19dpo): 1285/18.2
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP Chart
  • I would give my left big toe to be able to work from home. Can you pick up some extra projects at your job or find some hobbies to fulfill your bored time? The grass is always greener. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"