Babies: 9 - 12 Months

My baby is obese :(

If you are watching the Today show, they are saying that any baby over the 95th percentile at 9 months, they are obese and are at a 3x higher risk of being obese as they age. This makes me feel like shiit. They say that half of babies will be of normal weight though. Boys are at a higher risk they say too.

When we took Juliana to the nephrologist we also met with a nutritionist and she said that she wasn't actually getting enough calories....wth?

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: My baby is obese :(

• I think that's bull$hit.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMelly Mel:

she wasn't actually getting enough calories....wth?

For real??  Well, you know what, let's just say whatever. You baby is stinkin adorable! Chubby babies are cuuuuuuute :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'll start taking parenting advice from the Today show when I start taking vaccination advice from Jenny McCarthy.

Go with what your doctor says. 

• I agree, I think it's BS. Unless you're feeding your kid fried chicken and soda pop in their bottle, I highly doubt your child is obese.
  • Huh.  Huh?

Paige was over the 95th percentile for the entire first 18 months of her life.  (In height & weight)  Our doctors never said anything negative about it and you know how she looks now.  She's 5'7 and weighs 105 lbs.

• Thanks ladies. I try not to worry about it but then when I see something like that, I get a little freaked out. I was a big baby too and now I am average. She doesn't eat anything she shouldn't be, but it still doesn't make you feel good to hear something like that.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagelmpdjc:

Huh.  Huh?

Paige was over the 95th percentile for the entire first 18 months of her life.  (In height & weight)  Our doctors never said anything negative about it and you know how she looks now.  She's 5'7 and weighs 105 lbs.

Paige is a twig now! I feel better :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've said this before, but this might make you feel better: At his 12 month check up, Nathan weighed 32 pounds. Thirty. Two. He weighs 37 pounds now and he turns 4 tomorrow. He doctor wasn't worried because he was also in the 99th percentile for height. Lily is in the same boat. If your baby is in the 5th percentile for height and the 95th for weight, you may want to worry. Otherwise, just feed her healthy foods and teach her healthy habits and she'll be fine. Smile (Oh, and, what Yankee said.)
    This is a test. This is only a test.
  • I wouldn't worry about it unless your pedi actually says something.

Your DD is a cutie!

• That is ridiculous! First of all, you are feeding her healthy food. Babies eat until they are no longer hungry. In addition, once she's really moving (walking and running), weight gain will more then likely slow. How the F can they say a 9 month old is obese? There are a million factors to consider with a baby's weight. Change the channel!!
  • Then DS is obese then too. I call BS as well. I was a very big baby, probably bigger then DS. As soon as I was 2 or 3 I thinned out and was a stick growing up. Like I had trouble gaining weight. Only time I gained a lot of weight was when I was pg....at 27!! Same with DH and he was very skinny growing up as well. They are just looking for something new. Lame!!
  • imageyankeebaby2:

I'll start taking parenting advice from the Today show when I start taking vaccination advice from Jenny McCarthy.

Go with what your doctor says. 

This. Claire is off the charts, but the more active she gets the more she slims up.
  • That is crazy!! Your baby is not obese!!!  They can take that and shove it.  Don't let that get you down.  My DS is right there with your DD. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Along with what Hotsauce said, Myles was almost 30 lbs at his 2 year check up. He is almost 4 now and he is 32 lbs. He has also always been super tall for his age. Babies grow at different rates, and sometimes they have a big spike in weight and then even out later on.

Amelia is in the 90th for weight and height at all of her appointments. I feed her nutritious foods, and let her eat until she is full. That is all you can do. "News" like that is going to have people putting their 9 month old babies on diets. Which is obviously crazy. Dont think too much into it, an don't worry until your ped says there is something to worry about.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's absolutely ridiculous.   She's a baby.    Don't worry about it.   'Studies' like this piss me off to no end.     I seriously believe they have no merit and I wish the media would not give it attention - especially when they use the word obese in conjunction with a 9 month old (unless the parents are feeding the baby Big Mac's everyday...).

• Oh and my niece was always off the charts big when she was a baby, but now she is 15 years old 5'7" tall and built like an athlete.  gorgeous.  

I hate that these studies are using percentiles for evil. 

• It's so stupid that they aren't considering height. A link to an article was posted last week (I think) saying the same thing. I said what HotSauce said, if your kid is in the 5th percentile for height and the 95th for weight - you obviously have an issue...if your kid is around the same percentile for height and weight THEY ARE HEALTHY! Babies need fat for brain development. This is going to make parents freak out for no reason and try to get their babies to lose weight. I really hope most of the parents that watch this BS talk to their pedi before doing anything dumb.

DS is in the 25th percentile for height and barely on the charts for weight...we have had growth issues since he was born (at 1 month he was .5lb under his birth weight) and I would much rather have a chunky baby than an underweight baby. FTT is not fun and I really hope this doesn't cause parents to give their babies water when they are hungry so the don't get "fat"!
  • This whole subject makes me insane.  My grandmother is constantly telling me that the doctors are going to put DD on a diet,  SHE IS 9 MONTHS OLD!!!  Yes she is a big baby, always has been.  BUT we are not over feeding her and she doesn't eat anything other than fruits and veggies, 18 oz of formula a day, and a few puffs here and there.  My doctor is on my side and said that we are not over feeding her and that she will thin out.  And she really doesn't look very chubby at all.  I think my grandma and our families are so use to small babies in the family.  She is by far the biggest that we have in the fam.
  • imagerenee1.28.06:

DS is in the 25th percentile for height and barely on the charts for weight...we have had growth issues since he was born (at 1 month he was .5lb under his birth weight) and I would much rather have a chunky baby than an underweight baby. FTT is not fun and I really hope this doesn't cause parents to give their babies water when they are hungry so the don't get "fat"!

I agree with you completely.  DS was underweight for awhile and it was really hard...I'd take a baby at the 99 percentile for weight any day.  I'm so concerned that DS is going to lose weight as he becomes more active now.  :(

I read that article about obese babies.  Insanity, IMO.  OP, you know your DD is healthy.  Keep up the good work!  :)     

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Along with what Hotsauce said, Myles was almost 30 lbs at his 2 year check up. He is almost 4 now and he is 32 lbs. He has also always been super tall for his age. Babies grow at different rates, and sometimes they have a big spike in weight and then even out later on.

Amelia is in the 90th for weight and height at all of her appointments. I feed her nutritious foods, and let her eat until she is full. That is all you can do. "News" like that is going to have people putting their 9 month old babies on diets. Which is obviously crazy. Dont think too much into it, an don't worry until your ped says there is something to worry about.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This whole thing speaks more to our society's obsession with the scale and weight as a measure of health than it does to whether or not your kid will be healthy.

Studies by themselves are pretty meaningless and people can come up with statistics for pretty much anything.  I have heard that 'studies' show no correlation between size as a baby and size as an adult, so go figure.  It's all a bunch of BS.  As long as your baby is healthy and happy, that is all that matters.

• Hmmm well my niece is in the 90th percentile and people are always commenting on how petite she is.  She doesn't even look chubby.  I think go with what your docs are telling you. 
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"