Breastfeeding
Options

Biting and Pinching while nursing

Ugh. DD is almost 5 months old (on the 11th).

This past weekend she has started to bite down on my nipple sometimes, very playfully. She will then come off and smile at me. It hurts though! She doesn't have any teeth. She also has started pinching my boob while nursing. She holds my boob like she holds her bottle at day care (she can't hold it on her own but she constantly has her hands on it). Ouch!

This usually doesn't happen in the morning or middle of night feedings. So mostly late afternoon and evening.

Anything I can do to help stop her from doing this? It has me contemplating about EPing at least for the afternoon/evening. But I don't want to give up nursing either. It is our time and I so enjoy it.

Re: Biting and Pinching while nursing

• Options

When DD was pinching (my arm or my breast), I would give her a burp cloth or my finger to hold, sometimes that worked.  Now she likes to wave her arm back and forth or tap me.

with the biting, when DD bit me a few times when she had just gotten her first teeth, it meant she was done, I would unlatch her, say no in a stern voice and stop nursing for the time being. That seems to have worked for the most part. 

they get really distractible at 4-5 months and you just have to work thru it to find what works for you!

• Options
    I was just about to post about the same thing. DD thinks it's the funniest thing when she bites and I say "ow," she giggles and smiles up at me. She has also been pinching and pulling my boob when she eats, I try to give her my finger or something else to rip but she only wants the boobie!!! I dont have any advice, hopefully someone will post about ways to stop this cute/painful phase.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would say that your daughter's age is around the time that DS started getting more "curious" about things when at the boob too. He is always grabbing for things- my face, my hair, my arm, my shirt, my bra straps... I just dealt with it but recently I started giving him things to hold or wearing a Mommy Necklace.  He usually only bit when his teeth were started to come in- but he did the same exact thing- smiling a devilish little smile whenever he did it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemamaregan:
    I was just about to post about the same thing. DD thinks it's the funniest thing when she bites and I say "ow," she giggles and smiles up at me. She has also been pinching and pulling my boob when she eats, I try to give her my finger or something else to rip but she only wants the boobie!!! I dont have any advice, hopefully someone will post about ways to stop this cute/painful phase.

this. i wear a nursing necklase for her to hold on. but sometimes she likes to just pinch my arm ior sides. and yes she smiles after she bites me

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • Options

Ah, I understand! My little munchkin started to pinch and bite me too.  There is nothing worse than small scratches on your breasts from your LO's nail clawing!  I started to put things in JC's hands to help ward off the pinching. It helped drastically. And the biting is their way of testing out those new little chompers. Once, JC was falling asleep and bit me so hard I thought he would take off my nipple! I almost cried. And everytime he nursed that side I would wince in pain for "days" afterwards! As soon as your LO starts to bite down, take two fingers and pry open his/her mouth while quickly removing your breasts at the same time. it's so much easier than I am making it sound. I would then tell my LO "no bite". They are small but believe me, they understand more than we give them credit for. 

JC is almost 10 mos old and on occasion, he forgets he's nursing his mommy and not his bottle and i just remind him, no bite! I already feel like my boobs are hanging low as it is!  His biting and tugging I fear will only make it worse! LOL!

Best of luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"