Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Sick Toddler, suggestions pls

Hi 

We are on a trip to Orlando (from Ontario) and our daughter 21mths has had a fever for 4 days (goes down with Tylenol).  She definatley has a runny nose and runny eyes too.  Would you go to the ER for a check over?  WE have travel insurance, just scary when you are in a strange place going to a hospital...  but want to do what is right...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! 

Re: Sick Toddler, suggestions pls

• If your lo has had a fever for more than 3 days, I'd go to the ER to get it checked out, even though it goes down with medicine.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How high is the fever? I would probably go since you have the insurance and it will make your trip nicer if you didn't have to worry. It could be an ear infection, which could be painful to her and fixed easily.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • Loading the player...
  • If your travel insurance covers it and there is one in your area, you could go to an urgent care center. They are usually less crowded than an ER (so less chance of exposure to other diseases). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• What's travel insurance?

Could you look online and maybe find a pediatrician or family doctor who accepts your insurance? I would think that a co-pay for a physician would be less than a visit to the ER and not as long of a potential wait. I know that our pediatrician would see a patient only once if it was needed.

• imagejagged1:

Hi 

We are on a trip to Orlando (from Ontario) and our daughter 21mths has had a fever for 4 days (goes down with Tylenol).  She definatley has a runny nose and runny eyes too.  Would you go to the ER for a check over?  WE have travel insurance, just scary when you are in a strange place going to a hospital...  but want to do what is right...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! 

Oops! I didn't read this part, I guess travelers insurance would be something that Canadians need when they leave Canada, since you don't need health insurance in Canada.

• I agree with the above posts about an urgent care clinic.  Just get the yellow pages and call around to see if they will take your insurance.  At 21 months the only thing you can give her OTC is Tylenol and Motrin.  Alternating the 2 works best.  Motrin at night because it lasts longer.  If she's congested, there is Baby Vicks Vapor Rub, which works great for my DD.  You can also steam up the bathroom and stay in it with her for 10-15 mins.(Works best in combination with the Vicks)  It really helps break up the mucus and congestion.  I'm going through the same thing with my DD (20 months).  She has a virus and they told me at the ER that it just had to run it's course.  Hopefully some of this will help and you can better enjoy your trip to the States.
  • Ditto the urgent care idea vs an ER assuming her fever is not very high, does your traveler's ins have a website where maybe you can put in your location & it'll tell you if there are nearby locations that accept it? Or is it the kind of thing where you go & then they reimburse you?

My DD just had the on & off fever (99's, 100's, occasional 101), runny nose, red watery eyes before Xmas and we took her to urgent care (were traveling to my mom's) to make sure she didn't have an ear infection, it was just a virus that ran its course but always good to make sure.  

GL & hope she feels better & you get to enjoy your trip! 

• Thanks everyone!!

We went to the ER (my insurance would only cover hospitals but it was 100% so can't complain).  They were really great here, they did all the tests and X-rays on her chest etc...  All came back fine and so they believe it's just a virus that needs to run it's course.  She is looking a lot better this morning and so far her fever is still down.  

Thank so much for all your suggestions, I love the bump! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"