Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

DD has her first fever in more than a year--advice needed please.

She's been sniffly, but generally happy all day besides napping more than usual and not having much of an appetite.  I checked her temp a little while ago and was shocked that it was 101!  We've been pretty lucky with avoiding illness, and she hasn't had a fever since last winter, and it was only in the 100s then. 

All I can remember is that the rule was call ASAP if the temp is over 100.7...but that was when she was an infant.  Can anyone fill me in on what the rules are for toddlers, as far was when to call? The fever just popped up, she's drinking, playing, but only wants to eat a little bit of very soft food and has had 2 half full jars of 3rd foods puree, about half of one of those revolution foods fruit pouches, and about 1.5 things of YoToddler yogurt.  The only other thing going on with her is that she seems pretty congested.  I'm thinking I probably don't need to call the Dr office right now...but if she's the same in the morning as she is now, do I call then?  If not, how do I know what symptoms to watch for that would warrant a call?

Sorry to ask these things that I really should know, but she hasn't had a fever in so long, so I'm sure everything is different now that she's older, and I've never had reason to ask our pedi about it...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: DD has her first fever in more than a year--advice needed please.

• Our pedi says, hold off until they hit 101.6 on tylenol or motrin.  Try popsicles, cool bath, and lots of cold liquids.

Feed them whatever they will eat.

Call immediately if over 103.

We have had a 102 temp since Saturday. We're off to the dr tomorrow...

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
    1/1 Spotting, 1/3 beta 36,000, 1/5 u/s empty sac measuring 7w (9w5d), 1/6 d&c
    You will always be loved & missed our sweet angel.
  • imageMee83shell:

Our pedi says, hold off until they hit 101.6 on tylenol or motrin.  Try popsicles, cool bath, and lots of cold liquids.

Feed them whatever they will eat.

Call immediately if over 103. 

This. Just make sure she is drinking and is still acting normal.

• Loading the player...
  • Also, make sure you're dosing her on Tylenol to her weight, not her age. DD had a febrile seizure two weeks ago and when we got to the hospital we were told we weren't giving her enough Tylenol because she's heavy for her size.
    Our Little Family Keeps Growing! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageluvdv8:
    Also, make sure you're dosing her on Tylenol to her weight, not her age. DD had a febrile seizure two weeks ago and when we got to the hospital we were told we weren't giving her enough Tylenol because she's heavy for her size.

https://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T089101.asp

• When my DS had high fevers last spring, the ER doc said that Motrin works better on high fevers than Tylenol.  If you haven't tried that yet, I would.  and like PP said, make sure you dose is right for her weight.

I hope she feels better soon.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Second Birthday tickers

BPF#2 3/26/11
    U/S #1 4/26/11 for spotting= low heart rate and measuring 1 week small
    U/S #2 5/3/11 No heart rate found. D&C done 5/4/11 at 9w 2d.
  • I would also try the Motrin.  Especially at night since it lasts longer.  As for calling your Dr., I would go ahead and call in the morning if you feel like you need to.  There is no harm in calling, even if they tell you not to bring her in.  There are all sorts of Flu's and Viruses going around right now.  My DD has had a virus for almost 2 weeks now.  I just took her back to the Dr. today since she isn't better yet and they told me she now has an ear infection.  I always say "Better safe than sorry", even if you feel a little irrational:)
  • imagerinny627:

imageluvdv8:
    Also, make sure you're dosing her on Tylenol to her weight, not her age. DD had a febrile seizure two weeks ago and when we got to the hospital we were told we weren't giving her enough Tylenol because she's heavy for her size.

https://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T089101.asp

Thanks for this chart. I was a little shocked by how much Tylenol they gave her at the hospital but they confirmed that it takes a lot of acetaminophen for a child to OD and that the fever is worse for them.

Our Little Family Keeps Growing! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"