Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Recommend your bottles to help with gassiness and colic

We are currently using Dr. Brown's bottles with Stage 2 nipples.  I think maybe changing bottles could help with the gassiness and colic.  Which ones work best for you when formula feeding?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Recommend your bottles to help with gassiness and colic

• We used drop ins with our first, they worked the best. I don't seem to have a problem with gassy/colic with our 2nd.. but he's only 2 weeks right now so we shall see!
  • Did you use powder formula?  Were there any issues with shaking it to mix it in the bag when there is no air in the bag?  I have never used them before, not sure how they work.  Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • We use Nuk, but haven't had any problems with colic so far. He is constantly gassy but that could easily just be from what I eat (breastmilk in bottle).

We've also used BornFree and the Medela bottles that came with my breastpump. Our LO just isn't picky, other than that he refuses the breast 95% of the time. My only problem with BornFree was all the parts was a huge hassle.

• With both of my kids I used/use Avent bottles. Neither one of them has ever had colic, and they never cried or got fussy. Occassionally, my daughter will cry for about 5 minutes if she's over tired. But that doesn't happen too often.

Good luck!!

• The born free bottles are AMAZING.  There is only one extra part that normal bottles don't have and that's the part that helps make sure there's no air.  It takes 2 secs.

We looooove them!

imagePregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We use the playtex ventaire advanced. She really likes them.
  • imageSarahMcC103:
    Did you use powder formula?  Were there any issues with shaking it to mix it in the bag when there is no air in the bag?  I have never used them before, not sure how they work.  Thanks!

I also use the playtex drop ins.  You shake the bottle up and then push all of the air out afterwards.  My LO doesn't have colic, but she doesn't seem too gassy either...not sure it it's the bottles or just luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you are already using the Dr. Brown bottles I suggest trying the stage 1 nipples before buying all new bottles.  I've also noticed that when we stir her bottles instead of shake them it definitely helps with her gas!  If I shake her bottles to mix the formula she spits up a ton when I burp her and even up to 2hrs after I feed her.  But every baby is different
  • Stirred, not shaken!  Love it!  I will give it a shot. Thanks!

We just went to the Stage 2 nipples yesterday but I think they are too fast.  We are back to Stage 1 again today. 

• imageRefereeWife:
    If you are already using the Dr. Brown bottles I suggest trying the stage 1 nipples before buying all new bottles.  I've also noticed that when we stir her bottles instead of shake them it definitely helps with her gas!  If I shake her bottles to mix the formula she spits up a ton when I burp her and even up to 2hrs after I feed her.  But every baby is different

This has been really helpful so far!  Thank you so much!!  It makes sense that the shaken, foamy formula would cause gas!  DUH.  THANK YOU!  Now, do you have any secrets to get him to sleep longer/go longer than 2 hours between each feeding?

• Try Breastflow from The First Years, I have had alot of success.  First these bottles are perfect for breastfed babies and it seems to be the only bottle I have found that actually has your LO use the same suction and compression motions that they do when your LO is nursing.  There seems to not be any breast to bottle confusion with your LO as well.  Also, these bottles have a double nipple which is designed to allow less air in your LO's belly which will help with colic and gas.  You can find these at Target, Walmart, Babies R' Us, to name a few!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"