December 2010 Moms

For those who had an induction...

My doctor is giving me pressure to have an induction.  The pressure started on Thursday even though I didn't hit my due date till Friday.  Baby and I are both fine.  I'm only 1cm dilated and at a station 0.  

I have been seeing two doctors (well, one is a nurse practitioner) with two different philosophies/styles.  One told me we could wait to schedule the induction till somewhere between 41 and 42 weeks.  The other told me she never goes past 41 weeks.  What to do?!

I know that many of you were induced and would love some input.  At how many weeks were you induced?  Did it end up in a C-section?  If you feel comfortable sharing, was it for medical reasons (GD, Pre-E, etc) or were you simply overdue?

Thanks! 

Baby #2 due: 04/23/2013 DD: 01/03/2012 BabyFruit Ticker

Re: For those who had an induction...

• I was induced at 40 weeks 1 day (my choice and my doctor agreed). I was already dilated 4 cm when I got to the hospital that morning, they broke my water and labor started on its own without pitocin about 45 minutes later.

I did end up having a c-section because my blood pressure was really high, baby's heartrate was not varied enough and he wasn't moving around as much as they would have liked. I could have labored another 5 hours if I wanted, but then might not have had the energy to push. I opted for the c-section and have no regrets!

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• I was induced at 39 weeks because of insulin dependent GD.  I didn't have any issues with the induction and it went pretty smoothly, though I was already 3 cm and 80% effaced when I went in, so I didn't need Cervadil, just Pitocin.  They started Pitocin around 9:30 am, broke my water an hour later, got my epi around 1 and had my baby at 10:04 pm. 

GL! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I was induced at 41 weeks because I was simply overdue. My doctor said he didn't like to go past 41 weeks since there is greater chance of a c-section. (I'm not sure exactly why but that is what he told me.)  I was 2 cm dilated, 80% effaced, and at station -3 when the pitocin was started. 18 hours later I had DS via vaginal birth.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was induced on my due date (no medical problems, but a decision made by both me and my midwife).  The contractions are painful, but if you get the epidural early on you will be fine.  I was only 1cm when we got to the hospital that morning, and I ended up with a c-section because LO wasn't coming down and consequently I wasn't progressing.  Her heart rate also spiked for a little while, which was cause for concern, and I was only 4cm 16 hours after starting pitocin.  She was sunny side up and couldn't turn or come down because her hand was caught up in the cord near her neck.

My recovery has been extremely easy, and though I went in hoping to have a vaginal birth, I am so happy I had the c-section.

• I was induced at 39 weeks and had a pretty good labor.  My induction was scheduled because I was on heaparin and they wanted to make sure I was off it and all bleeding was controlled before I started laboring.  

I was at a -1, 2.5 cm dilated and 90% effaced going in to the induction.  Once they broke my water and broke up some cervical scar tissue I dilated fully over three hours to a 10 and a +1.  

Overall it was a good experience and I liked being able to plan things out instead of frantically rushing around while in labor, but like OP said this was my first so I have nothing else to really compare it to.

Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was induced at 39 wks 4 days because of high blood pressure.  I wish that we didn't have to induce  aswe had kind of a rough go of things, but I think I'm the exception to the rule.  We started cervidil overnight, had pitocin in the morning and labored all day, but didn't dialate more than 3cm.  We took me off the pitocin and did cervadil again on the second night, started miso in the morning and pitocin in the afternoon.  We broke my water when we started the pitocin and by 7pm I was  dilated to 8cm and 80% effaced...and then things stopped.  LO had his hands up by his head and wasn't able to descend into the birth canal so we ended up havign a C-section at about 12:30am on the 3rd day in the hospital.  Despite that, it wasn't a bad experience C-section and all and everyone is happy and healthy.
  • I was induced at 40 weeks exactly.  It was due to the fact that I was not making any progress.  I was still "high, thick and closed.  When I was checked at the hospital at the beginning of my induction, I was 1 cm.  My doctor just said that since I was making such slow progress it would be best to induce (she was worried about the stresses of being overdue on the baby such as aging placenta and higher chance of problems with the cord). 

I was worried about being induced on my due date because I felt like my body should have a chance to progress.  I am glad that I agreed because Makenzie was 9 pounds 1 ounce and I ended up having to have a c-section anyways because she was too big for me to deliver.  She couldn't get in the proper position. 

My only regret is that they didn't induce my at 39 weeks.  Given her size, I may have been able to deliver vaginally if it had been a week earlier. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was induced at 39 weeks 5 days because my bag of water was leaking. Had that not happened I was going to be induced at 40 weeks 3 days.

I have no complaints about the process. I began my induction at 2:30pm on a Thursday and the baby was born at 1:39am Friday, so just over 11 over, with really on the last 3 being "rough".

They placed 1/4 of a pill next to my cervix and left it for 4 hours, which helped to finish softening my cervix, I had the epidural at 4cm, right before they started to pitocin. 

My only complaint was that the baby only wanted to be monitored while i laid on my left side, so it made it harder to get comfy.

My DH was not happy about the "scheduled" induction because of all the things he remember from our birthing class, was that inductions tend to lead to c-section. Once we found out my bag of water was leaking and it was medically necessary he was fine with it, and the outcome was great. 

Everyone is different though.

imageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Thank you all so much for the info.  Based on all this info, I really wish I would progress a little more before attempting an induction.  Ah...if only we could control all these factors.
    Baby #2 due: 04/23/2013 DD: 01/03/2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • At 41 weeks, the decision was made to induce me. I was barely 1 cm with almost no effacement.

I was given Cervidil, for only 2 hours, because it put my contractions at 1-2 min apart. Crappy for me and baby.  They were going to start Pitocin the next morning. 

However...

My water broke 4 hours later and 2 hours after that I was ready to push. :)

It was hard and fast, but I got my healthy baby, so I'm happy!

Good luck with your L&D! 

• I was induced at 40+1 because of medication dependent GD. I started at 2cm, 70% so I just had Pitocin. Mine started at around 8:45am, my water broke about 2 hours in, and LO was born vaginally at 2:46pm.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was induced at 41.5 weeks because my placenta was getting old and they were worried about Eve's size (I am a tiny person, and my mother had issues with babies not fitting and she is bigger than me).

The induction went pretty smoothly until the pushing part (I was even able to make it med free for 8 hours), but she didn't fit.  I pushed for hours in many different positions and it was obvious that my pelvis is not designed for letting babies out.  I ended up with a c-section, but I still got my prize and that's all that really matters.  I had very mixed feelings about inducing, but knowing what I know now, there was no chance this baby was going to make it out on her own, and instead of waiting until 45 weeks to find that out (like my mom did with many life threatening complications), I have a perfect, healthy baby girl. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"