December 2010 Moms

How many hours a day does LO nurse?

I am EBFing and LO seems to average about 3to 3.5hours a day (midnight to midnight) of total nursing time.  He is peeing and pooping just fine, but I am still wondering if this is enough... I have tried several times to start a pumping routine to start a stash for when I go back to work, need to get out, etc.  But when I pump, I can never really get much - I mean, if it's been 2 hours since his last feeding, and I pump, I might get 1 oz total from both sides.... WTF?

Our pedi is also a LC, so I will talk to her about the pumping thing next week at LO's check up.  Hopefully they will tell me he's still gaining enough weight (he seems to be very satisfied after eating...). 

So yeh, I am wondering how many hours a day other LOs nurse for... Thanks!

photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: How many hours a day does LO nurse?

• My little boob man nurses for about six hours total, but he takes his darn sweet time.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• we average about 15 or 20 minutes a session about 8 times a day.

I would recommend pumping RIGHT after a feeding, though.. at least that's what the LCs told me to do.  good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We nurse a total of 4 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours daily, plus he gets a bottle or two daily with dad or grandma, so I hand pump twice daily. I can't believe how much this little guy can eat.
    Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • um, all of the time.  When i was tracking on my iphone app it was about 5-6.  about the same i bet now. Feels like more!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Gabrielle only feeds for about 1-1.5 hours a day. She eats for only 5-15 minutes each feeding. When I pump for 5 minutes per side I usually get 5 ounces. She pees 6-8 times a day and has at least 3 dirty diapers. I worry that she isn't feeding enough, but she has lots of wet diapers and seems satisfied after feedings.

• Ari feeds 4.5 hours per day. He seems to be doing fine, the midwife will weigh him again today.
  • Only about 2.5 hours a day and LO gained 12 ounces in the past 8 days. I guess she's really efficient?
  • It doesn't seem like you are super worried so I would just keep an eye on her weight.  If it is going up then she is probably doing fine.  BF can be intimidating.  There is no way to tell for sure how much milk they are getting or what is normal.  This is my 4th BF baby and I still get worried.  I am sure you are doing fine. 

To the original post, I am not sure how many hours my DD nurses ( a lot). I know sometimes it seems like I have just gotten done feeding her and she wants to nurse again..... I think my butt will end up being flat!!  I would guess DD nurses 5-8 hours a day.  That doesn't include night time.  We co-sleep so I am there any time she needs/wants to eat.

• imageOhSewCrafty:
    My little boob man nurses for about six hours total, but he takes his darn sweet time.

This. And we just royally failed our 2 wk check-in for weight gain, but I'm sure 6 hrs is plenty for most babies. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"