Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

anyone feel like a Single Mom sometimes?

I have so much respect for single moms.  They do it all w/out the help of another spouse.

I have a spouse.  However, I feel like I'm doing a lot of the work myself.  In fact, with the exception of an occasional diaper change on his part, I do the changing, bathing, feeding, driving, shopping, etc.  all on my own with little or no help from him.

He works all sorts of odd hours so I know that is definitely a hinderance...but when I ask him to help or assist, he simply states that he is too tired.  So I don't pressure him.

I just wanted to see if any other moms in BUMPLAND ever feel alone in raising their child...

and please....only respond if you do.  The last thing I want to hear is "how great my husband is as a dad" posts...lol

Thanks for letting me semi-vent.

God Bless our sweet baby James. Our son, born 11/22/09. Unplanned, Emergency C-section image
"Wearing his BING CROSBY clothes and crooning...buuuh buuh buuuh" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: anyone feel like a Single Mom sometimes?

• Options
    I did up until a month ago... DH has always worked nights and so it was always me doing everything with DS and with the house and taking care of our dog. I def. have a lot of respect for single moms. Its hard without help
    image   image
  • Options
    imagejust_peachy:

I have so much respect for single moms.  They do it all w/out the help of another spouse.

I have a spouse.  However, I feel like I'm doing a lot of the work myself.  In fact, with the exception of an occasional diaper change on his part, I do the changing, bathing, feeding, driving, shopping, etc.  all on my own with little or no help from him.

He works all sorts of odd hours so I know that is definitely a hinderance...but when I ask him to help or assist, he simply states that he is too tired.  So I don't pressure him.

I just wanted to see if any other moms in BUMPLAND ever feel alone in raising their child...

and please....only respond if you do.  The last thing I want to hear is "how great my husband is as a dad" posts...lol

Thanks for letting me semi-vent.

Totally! All the time! It is why I question having another lo with my hubs.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yup. It comes in phases. Lately it's been a looooooong stretch of being super mom, super wife, super homemaker and super employee. I'm exhausted. DH and I had an argument about this last night. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

First of all, single moms rock.  I have no idea how they handle it all.  They are saints.

Secondly, do you work?  I won't tell you about how my family works because you asked responders to not do that, but isn't it only fair that he helps and does his part?  He is also a parent.  I'm not trying to be snarky at all, I'm just curious as to why you let him off the hook so easily when he says he's tired.  Aren't YOU tired? 

• Options
    just peachy i feel excatly how u do. ur always welcome to vent hun.
  • Options
    i feel exactly how you do.. and me and the hubs fought about last night. i total know where your coming from
  • Options
    Yup. I work...but I'm off this week so I see it even more.
    God Bless our sweet baby James. Our son, born 11/22/09. Unplanned, Emergency C-section image
    "Wearing his BING CROSBY clothes and crooning...buuuh buuh buuuh" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yes, all the time!

Oh, wait...that's probably because I am haha

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    ::poof::

But yes, there are days when I feel alone, but I do remember that in the end I do have DH to fall back on, despite his insane and stupid work hours lately.  But yeah, you're not alone in feel like that.
  • Options
    Yes. You are not alone.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageLucky428:

First of all, single moms rock.  I have no idea how they handle it all.  They are saints.

Secondly, do you work?  I won't tell you about how my family works because you asked responders to not do that, but isn't it only fair that he helps and does his part?  He is also a parent.  I'm not trying to be snarky at all, I'm just curious as to why you let him off the hook so easily when he says he's tired.  Aren't YOU tired? 

All of this.  I can understand giving your DH 30 min. to unwind after coming home but I assume it was his sperm that met your egg and help create this life.  Therefore, IMHO, it his 50% his responsibility to help out tired or not.  Sure, sometimes I feel like a single mom too but I know that the moment I tell DH to do something he'll do it.  He's always in charge of bedtime routines and almost all diaper changes.  Don't be the martyr and speak up, in a respectful way of course.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I do on Sundays (DH works 14-hr days on Sundays while I take two toddlers to church, etc., by myself) and on weeks when DH has especially crazy work hours. I can't complain because it's not most of the time, but even that is enough to give me a ton of empathy for people who are on their own most or all of the time with their LOs!
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    DH works late afternoons till nine and then goes to the gym right after work. I definitely feel your pain! DH does make up for it on the weekends, so I do get a break every now and again.
  • Options

I do sometimes.  DH usually works evenings, so dinner, bath, bed is all me.  I also get up with Bean, so wakeup, breakfast, clothes change, play time, up through morning nap (if that happens) is usually me, also.  He will take Bean in the afternoon (unless he's working a double), and let me take a nap or clean the bathrooms, or whatever.  That's nice. 

Also, usually on his days off, he will take Bean out and do something, so I can get some time to myself.  Time to myself = nap.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I do all the time. Dh works from 10-11 in the morning until 8-11pm, thankfully most weeks it is only 5 days a week so he has 2 days with bug - just the two of them while i am in school or work. But i do everything. Since I have been in school he has been helping out a bit more. It doesn't phase me though I do what i can when i can. I have always done everything for myself my entire life - and prefer it that way. 
    My beautiful redhead Lily Anne (3.5yrs)
  • Options
    ((hugs))
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I sometimes push myself beyond what I do, because I want to be "super mom."

When I start to feel overwhelmed, I give DH whatever is left to be done for the day (with DS).

Im a SAHM, and my "job" is to take care of the house and animals (since the animals were my decision to have).  However, I had a long conversation with DH about how my "job" is not to take care of DS.  Raising DS is parenthood, a partnership.  He needs to do his part, just like I need to do my part.

photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagemacchiatto:
    I do on Sundays (DH works 14-hr days on Sundays while I take two toddlers to church, etc., by myself) and on weeks when DH has especially crazy work hours. I can't complain because it's not most of the time, but even that is enough to give me a ton of empathy for people who are on their own most or all of the time with their LOs!

Ditto this. DH is a student so his schedule varies. He is currently home for a MONTH, which has been awesome. But prior to that? We didn't see him at AT ALL for almost two weeks. It was brutal. I wanted to cry and I definitely wanted to hit the floor and kiss the ground that single moms walk on, because I honestly have no idea how they do it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
  • Options

My husband IS helpful when he is around, but here is the thing... we both work full time, but my work day is shorter than DH's.  

I drop Jackson off at DC, pick him up, and am home with him for about 3.5 hours by the time DH gets home from work.  I do 99% of the cooking and cleaning, after a full day of work.  By the time DH gets home from work Jackson is really only awake for an hour, if that (sometimes he is asleep), so there is not much help to be had.

My sister is living with me now so the balancing act that I had to do (at least temporarily) is a lot easier because there is someone to give me a hand, but I know that won't last forever and then it will be back to doing things on my own.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was just thinking this!  I'm also a working mom (full-time) but I'm off this week and it has made it glaringly obvious how much I do compared to DH.  We argue about it and then he will put more effort in for a week or two, but it always goes back to the usual.  I'd say even though we both work full-time, I do 80-90% of baby duty.  Honestly, it has taken quite a toll on me and our marriage.  It's tough because I thought he'd be such a hands-on, 50-50 kind of dad...and he's clearly not.  One that kills me is that if we are both home on weekends and LO wakes up from his nap...he never moves a muscle to go get him...EVER!  Why do I ALWAYS have to stop what I'm doing and never him....ugh!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.raisinghopehappinessandlucas.typepad.com 37 and dx with DOR...just fabulous
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"