February 2011 Moms

What are you snacking on?

I've gotten really bad about snacking on unhealthy things during the day, especially since I'm not working right now. It really showed at my 32 wk appt yesterday when I gained 6lbs in 2 weeks and although my Dr. isn't concerned about the weight I know I need to get back on track with healthier eating.
I'm getting rid of all the junk (leftover cookies, fudge, etc from Christmas) and grocery shopping this afternoon for some better options. So far, I've got pretzels, clementines and yogurt on my list but need some more suggestions.
So- what do you ladies snack on during the day?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: What are you snacking on?

• I have had a taste for crackers and cheese, it has to be the super sharp cheese.  just a couple of those and I am completely happy. 

oh, and the Mott's apple sauce things...the unsweetened ones, yummmmmmmm  (and they are good over vanilla ice cream too  :)  )

• At the moment I am snacking on baby carrots, but it's just so not cutting it. I have been eating junk this whole pregnancy. Ugh, it's just too hard to resist!

• Loading the player...
  • I have a MAJOR sweet tooth and so to avoid sugary processed stuff at the grocery store I buy things I can make at home. I like to bake so I've been baking apple bran muffins, pumpkin bread, banana bread, all of which I add pumpkin seed and fiber to. I also have a recipe for really yummy homemade protein bars. They taste like a dessert bar are really easy to make. Fiber is super important at this point so I make sure to get that in my diet on a regular basis. I also buy lots of fruit and plain greek yogurt for smoothies. If you don't have a sweet tooth you can buy cheese and crackers or veggies and make some homemade dip. I also bring a platter of veggies and dip to work with me to eat as my afternoon snack. I also like melba toast crackers with cream cheese, sliced fresh tomato and spinach.  

Other than that I drink a lot of water or Odwalla or Naked juices. I try to eat as much fruit and fiber as possible to keep me regular LOL! It's worked wonders so far!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love baby carrots and fresh fruit cocktail!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I just got obsessed with trail mix. I get a big bag of the kind with nuts, cranberries, raisins, and sunflower seeds, and divide it up. Then I just grab one bag. I have to make a conscious effort to wait 20 minutes or so after I eat the one bag, cause otherwise I will eat 4.... but if I wait, I realize I am actually satisfied. For like an hour.....
  • I love snacking on carrots!!!! Or French beans! Yummy! I try to keep veggies that are handy that are also finger foods.
    My life is so full of love! Lilypie First Birthday tickers Surviving The Wyoming Wind
  • Whatever is in reach?! lol!!  But I'm trying to stear toward the dried fruit (keeps things regular!), fresh veggies and dairy.  Toasted pita with cottage cheese and a light drizzle of honey is yummy.
  • Large curd cottage cheese and Clementines (or other fruit, that's just what we have right now).
    BabyFetus Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Fresh fruit (apples and tangerines), whole grain crackers, light string cheese...and a treat of dark chocolate kisses!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Fresh fruit, Oikos greek yogurt (caramel!), sometimes a bowl of cereal (Shredded Wheat, Cheerios, Special K are my go-tos).  Also Fiber 1 bars, Cocoa Roast Almond 100 calorie packs, and cottage cheese.  I generally try to be healthy but the past week has been HORRIBLE with the cookies, candy, and overall fattening foods!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My thing this week is sweet potato fries, baked not fried :)  Here's the recipe I've been using, I just make one potato at a time.  

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/baked-sweet-potato-fries-recipe/index.html 

Also that Quaker Oats cereal in brown sugar flavor has been a daily thing for me since the beginning-dry or with milk.  Clementines lately, and prunes (I love them, plus the fiber), and cheddar cheese sticks. I also want to eat anything made of chocolate....but that probably shouldn't go on your list :) 

• Anything that gets in my way!
  • String Cheese!!!!!!  I could eat the entire bag in one sitting if my DH would let me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have GD so I've been a bit limited, but I've been eating a lot of cottage cheese, string cheese, peanut butter on low carb toast, I also buy those Toaster Strudel things with the eggs, sausage and cheese inside for a quick snack or if I don't have time to make breakfast, Fiber Plus bars (I LOVE the new caramel coconut chocolate ones - they taste like the Girl Scout cookies Samoas).  I can't eat fruit right now :( but I have been trying to eat a lot of raw veggies - carrot sticks, broccoli, etc. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Check out my blog ThreeHundredPages.com Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Also, I've been buying flavored almonds.  My favorite so far has been the Habenero BBQ by Blue Diamond.  Delicious!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Check out my blog ThreeHundredPages.com Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imageMrsB0701:
    I love baby carrots and fresh fruit cocktail!

oh me too!  but at the same time...I want a Big Mac right now.  LOL

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
  • bananas, string cheese, apples and pb..

have to have cereal every am for breakfast..

and at least some chocolate every day, too. today will be a reeses...

• :::shamefully::: edamame was the only remotely healthy thing I could think of that I like right now.  I eat everything in my path.  I think they might have my photo up in the Luby's drive thru with a "beware of pregnant woman with chicken fried steak cravings" warning on it. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I'm a GD mommy too-  I swear all I eat is protein these days.  I found wonderful new trail mixes at my grocery store with vanilla flavored almonds.  omg- so good! 

Other  snack staples:  Activia light yogurt cups, apples and peanut butter,  cheese sticks

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I can't seem to manage anything healthy these days. Even DH is commenting on it. I do love whole grain crackers with sharp cheddar cheese. But I tend to lean towards oreos and milk. I just read someone wanted a big mac....now of course it's 8:30am and I want Mickey D's...that's my guilty pleasure at least once a week!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"