Cloth Diapering

I think I've decided on the system to go with...Real Nappies

I've been doing research, reading, interviewing etc on cloth diapering for a long time- long before baby #1 was in the oven. I think I have finally decided on the system that I will start out with. Real Nappies from NZ. I decided on these due to a few factors- one being that a large maternity hospital in NZ uses this diaper system exclusively and a hospital isn't going to use something that doesn't work well or that is more of a hassle than it's worth. Next factor- I've read reviews on numerous sites about the amazing array of choices in cloth diapers out there and this is the only system where I hear next to zero complaints, cons or issues being expressed with the various products or the customer service. (and yes, there's just as many reviews, so I don't believe that this is due to the system not being widely used) The reviews on other systems however end up being mostly from moms that are using multiple systems and brands due to never being completely satisfied with any one option- whether convenience and ease of use, customer service, product quality and durability etc.

I'm certainly willing to change if this ends up being a total flop for me, but I'm pretty amazed at the reviews I've seen and the 2 child guarantee the company stands behind as well.

Anyone else with experience with REAL NAPPIES from NZ? I would love to hear about it!!

Re: I think I've decided on the system to go with...Real Nappies

• All I will say is that I wouldn't invest in any system completely until your child is here.  CDs can have the best reviews in the world and still not work for your child.
  •  What's some what disappointing is that we're not in a situation to be able to afford a variety of styles by buying them individually... the costs for the diapers individually versus the system that I currently have my eye on is ASTRONOMICAL. Even compared to other brands smaller package deals. And yes, I have hit all the sites in existence (I certainly believe) and checked out the various prices and options. I can't drop $10-15 per diaper when some of the starter sets for specific sizes are much more cost effective. -bummer

• Loading the player...
  • Have you looked into buying used?  I bought my total NB stash for ~$5 a diaper.
  • imageladyluck713:

What's some what disappointing is that we're not in a situation to be able to afford a variety of styles by buying them individually... the costs for the diapers individually versus the system that I currently have my eye on is ASTRONOMICAL. Even compared to other brands smaller package deals. And yes, I have hit all the sites in existence (I certainly believe) and checked out the various prices and options. I can't drop $10-15 per diaper when some of the starter sets for specific sizes are much more cost effective. -bummer

The kicker, though, is that if that system doesn't work for your baby for some reason then you are out ALL of your money (at least until you get someone to buy them off you). Another thought is to do a cloth diaper trial and figure out what your preferences  are and then stock up on used ones. For our NB stash we have a variety. For our post-NB stash I have a handful of $$ diapers that we got as shower gifts. For the rest of the stash, I am waiting to see what works best of our baby. While I would love to do Flips or PFs+ covers because they are so cheap, I am hesitant to shell out the money now only  to find out that they don't work for LO's shape.

• I am nervous for you.  Just because a hospital uses a certain diaper (CD or disposable) it doesn't mean it works for all or even most babies.  They use what they can get cheap or free.

We found many types of CDs that did not work at all for our child.  Ones that work really well for most other people (BG 3.0s & FB for example) didn't work at all for her & we had leaks every.single.time.

I hope the system you are choosing works for you though.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • imagepixy_stix:
    Have you looked into buying used?  I bought my total NB stash for ~$5 a diaper.

I've been looking for used as well. Initially I figured that would be the best way to try them all out. The ones that I have come across in my area, either in store or on craigslist are just a couple bucks less that new, and aren't in very good shape. The one main lady that sells used in the area still wants between $10 and $13 depending on the brand of diaper, and they are WELL USED. I don't see very many used ones on ebay, but maybe I just keep missing the ads.

• Try https://www.hyenacart.com/SpotsCorner

Also watch this board, and the swap spot board.

• Oh, and as far as hoping to get CDs off a registry- somewhere between slim and none. There isn't anyone outside the house that will truly and fully support this decision and they're quite likely to think that my registering for CDs is some kind of idealistic joke. That's not to say I won't try that!

I have checked out some of the trials and will most likely have to do that. Trial and error sucks but I also knew heading into this, that it is a fact of life with nearly everything. The diaper trials I've checked out so far look fair cost and details wise, I wish they offered the option to try more of the brands I was mainly interested in testing- but maybe too much of the stuff I've checked out is more popular in the EU than in the US at this point.

• imageladyluck713:
    I have checked out some of the trials and will most likely have to do that. Trial and error sucks but I also knew heading into this, that it is a fact of life with nearly everything. The diaper trials I've checked out so far look fair cost and details wise, I wish they offered the option to try more of the brands I was mainly interested in testing- but maybe too much of the stuff I've checked out is more popular in the EU than in the US at this point.

This just seems weird to me.  You want to try different brands but you're going with a super basic plain prefold system?  If you're in the US and want to save money and use prefolds, I'd get Thirsties Duo size 1 and some GMD diapers, maybe 2 dozen orange and 2 dozen yellow.  Then you're not out the $$$ for the WHOLE package upfront and can switch if they really don't work for you in 6 months.  I added up a package similar to the one Real Nappies shows as their birth to Potty training and it's actually cheaper overall to do Thirsties Duos and GMD in addition to giving you more time to save/figure out how things work for you before fully commiting to one (IMO rather plain) system.

• Ok ok- It's not that I don't sincerely appreciate the advise, suggestions and concerns, but I intentionally didn't give out a 'hey I'm new, tell me what to do about CD'ing' question because there are already plenty of those on the board with great answers that I've already gone through, and I've done a whole lot of research. I've got nearly all questions answered, except for one which is really what the intention of my post was: 

Is there anyone out there who has even tried Real Nappies?

They're not cute, they're not trendy and have no frills- is that why people aren't testing them out?   

• imagepixy_stix:

Try https://www.hyenacart.com/SpotsCorner

Also watch this board, and the swap spot board.

Thank you- tips like that are invaluable!

• imageladyluck713:

Ok ok- It's not that I don't sincerely appreciate the advise, suggestions and concerns, but I intentionally didn't give out a 'hey I'm new, tell me what to do about CD'ing' question because there are already plenty of those on the board with great answers that I've already gone through, and I've done a whole lot of research. I've got nearly all questions answered, except for one which is really what the intention of my post was: 

They're not cute, they're not trendy and have no frills- is that why people aren't testing them out?   

Yeah, I was wondering why you bothered posting at all -- you seem to have your mind made up and have done "all the research there is" despite the fact that you're brand spanking new to this forum. 

The CD board is the friendliest board on the Bump. Any other board would probably have looked at your less than ten posts and called you out as a Real Nappies Sock Puppet already. 

I think you'll find your answer in this thread. The reason people aren't using them more often -- if they aren't -- or talking about them on this board, at least, is because it's a very basic prefold system, and you can get a similar or better (or frillier) system for the same price. (See above PP re: GMD prefolds and thirsties duo wraps.) You might say "oh, Thirsties is just frillier" but I think Thirsties are fantastic and their gusset system is a lifesaver.

So I guess the question is, if you can't find anyone (except this NZ hospital) that is using the system, why are you so convinced it's the best one out there? Where is all the research in the world coming from? 

• imageAllie30:

Any other board would probably have looked at your less than ten posts and called you out as a Real Nappies Sock Puppet already. 

This did cross my mind. 

• imageAllie30:
    imageladyluck713:

Ok ok- It's not that I don't sincerely appreciate the advise, suggestions and concerns, but I intentionally didn't give out a 'hey I'm new, tell me what to do about CD'ing' question because there are already plenty of those on the board with great answers that I've already gone through, and I've done a whole lot of research. I've got nearly all questions answered, except for one which is really what the intention of my post was: 

Yeah, I was wondering why you bothered posting at all -- you seem to have your mind made up and have done "all the research there is" despite the fact that you're brand spanking new to this forum. 

The CD board is the friendliest board on the Bump. Any other board would probably have looked at your less than ten posts and called you out as a Real Nappies Sock Puppet already. 

I think you'll find your answer in this thread. The reason people aren't using them more often -- if they aren't -- or talking about them on this board, at least, is because it's a very basic prefold system, and you can get a similar or better (or frillier) system for the same price. (See above PP re: GMD prefolds and thirsties duo wraps.) You might say "oh, Thirsties is just frillier" but I think Thirsties are fantastic and their gusset system is a lifesaver.

So I guess the question is, if you can't find anyone (except this NZ hospital) that is using the system, why are you so convinced it's the best one out there? Where is all the research in the world coming from? 

I was thinking this as soon as I read the title.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Wow.

Well first of all I wasn't talking about research just on this forum, I was talking about research in general...so me being new to the forum and having done a lot of research aren't actually incongruous issues.

I was throwing this original post out there because of the number of people on this board. I figured that I would run into a more broad group of moms that had experience with the brand here in the US and be able to get some good conversation about it.

I have received some great tips and info on other resources on this board and site up to this point but I guess what I am hearing is that not being able to post more due to lack of time on blog accessible computers somehow means that I'm not simply a pregnant mom trying to touch base with some others. I honestly had no idea that I had to have a certain number of posts in order to be part of the forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"