January 2011 Moms

Godparents

I recognize this doesn't relate to everyone and I apologize. 

For those of you that will be selecting godparents for your child, how are you asking them?

Are you presenting them with a card, poem, gift...?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Godparents

• Probably just a phone call when I figure out who.  I need someone who is confirmed Catholic and regularly attends a church where they are registered . . . I'm not sure we'll even be able to find one.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We will either ask them personally or give them a phone call. We have our Godfather picked out but we are still deciding between two people for a Godmother.
  • Loading the player...
  • While we're not doing godparents, per se, we did have a very frank conversation with our best friends about whether they would be willing to take over the care/guardianship of our child should we both die. We understand that we should be putting this stuff in our will, and of course we wanted to clear it with the couple first! I think just talking to them face to face is fine.

• We asked the Godparents in person when I first got pregnant. It's such an exciting thing I think. We asked my H's sister and my brother - this is the first baby on both sides so there's a special feeling they both have toward this baby now (both are younger than us too) so it's sweet.
  • imagemzclaire:

While we're not doing godparents, per se, we did have a very frank conversation with our best friends about whether they would be willing to take over the care/guardianship of our child should we both die. We understand that we should be putting this stuff in our will, and of course we wanted to clear it with the couple first! I think just talking to them face to face is fine.

For us religious Godparents are separate and different from potential guardians in the event of our death.   They're likely to be different people entirely.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageskoogirl:
    imagemzclaire:

While we're not doing godparents, per se, we did have a very frank conversation with our best friends about whether they would be willing to take over the care/guardianship of our child should we both die. We understand that we should be putting this stuff in our will, and of course we wanted to clear it with the couple first! I think just talking to them face to face is fine.

For us religious Godparents are separate and different from potential guardians in the event of our death.   They're likely to be different people entirely.

Us, too.

Our choice of godparents was based on religious beliefs/affiliation.  We chose guardians for our children based on who was most likely to raise them in the same (or as close to the same as possible) manner that we would.  Totally different things, IMO.

• Oh, and to answer the OP's question, we sat both sets of people down and asked how they felt about it, explained what our expectations were, and asked whether it was something they felt like they could do. 
  • We plan to wait until the first time they meet our LO and as them in person-no gift,etc. 

Here are some responses I got when I posted last month on this topic:

https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/45617111.aspx

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"