January 2011 Moms

Can I get your opinion on a nickname??

Hi All - I can't tell if this is a good nickname or way too different.

If I have a baby boy (I'm team green), he will be a third - Edward James.   4 other guys in the family have the name Edward - so Ed and Eddie are both taken...and I refuse to say a name and have 4 people look at me in one room!

So I've been playing with nicknames - for a while I was sold on "Jimmy" and I still might be - from his middle name.

But I just came across the name Eamonn - which is the Gaelic form of Edward (and I have a heavily Irish background).

So the question - is Eamonn too different to be his nickname??  Or does it work???  Any opinions are helpful!  Thanks in Advance!!

Re: Can I get your opinion on a nickname??

• I had the same predicament as you! My son will be Robert Francis III. My FIL is Robert or Bob, DH's family calls him Bobby and I call him Rob. We decided for our son we will call him Robby since it's a mix of my DH's two nicknames. There was no chance in me call my son Francis so the middle name was out of the question. I am also Irish and I think Eamonn could be a cute name that you could share with your son even if others don't call him it. I know my FIL plans on calling my son 'Beep' and my DH will call him 'Squid' as their own special nicknames.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Sounds confusing.  Its not a name Americans are used to hearing or will know how to pronounce and you will constantly be explaining why you would call a kid named Edward, Eamonn.  Also, unfortunately parents really can't control what nickname sticks to their kid.  I say just get over it and call him Ed/Eddie (everyone else will) or pick a different name.  FWIW, I like Edward James.  Its a nice combo.
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • imagegusjaim:
    What about EJ?

This might be a good alternative.

I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • I think Eamonn is too much like another name versus a nickname.  I'd go with EJ over Eamonn for a nickname.  Ted/Teddy is also a nickname for Edward.  You could also just call him Edward and forget the nickname. Just wait and see what comes naturally to you. 
  • Eamonn doesn't make sense as a NN. If you want to have him be the same but different, why not just name him Eamonn? With the MN, I like James over anything else.

• Thanks ladies - Yea - I love the idea - but it is too different and too much like a name name.  Its really no option for me to change it - hubby wants a "III" and I don't want to take that opportunity away from him.

Guess I'll work with Teddy, Jimmy, or EJ.  I wish I didn't know an EJ in school - he was a weird guy and I can't get it out of my head!!

Marleena - your nicknames are adorable (all three!)!!

• I love it

remember tons of people will tell you now before you name your kid they dont like it but once it is named no one will say that or at least they should not be rude - you will never please everyone,

follow your gut and dont be afraid to be different.

• imagemarleena:

I had the same predicament as you! My son will be Robert Francis III. My FIL is Robert or Bob, DH's family calls him Bobby and I call him Rob. We decided for our son we will call him Robby since it's a mix of my DH's two nicknames. There was no chance in me call my son Francis so the middle name was out of the question. I am also Irish and I think Eamonn could be a cute name that you could share with your son even if others don't call him it. I know my FIL plans on calling my son 'Beep' and my DH will call him 'Squid' as their own special nicknames.

I love beep and squid! so cute!

As to the actual main post: I like Ted as a slightly different yet still in-line with actual name nickname. But again, your family might just start calling him Eddie whether or not you have any say in the matter. I got stuck with a terrrible nickname, no matter how much I fought it.

• I've never heard of Teddy being a nickname for Edward - all the Teddy's I knew were Theodore.

I watched a TV show the other day where the "III" was called Trip (as in Triple) for third.  I liked it and thought it was a good solution.  If you go with his middle name, why not just use James rather than Jimmy?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekesrya:

I've never heard of Teddy being a nickname for Edward - all the Teddy's I knew were Theodore.

I watched a TV show the other day where the "III" was called Trip (as in Triple) for third.  I liked it and thought it was a good solution.  If you go with his middle name, why not just use James rather than Jimmy?

Ted Kennedy's first name was Edward, so I think Ted/Teddy is probably an accepted nn.  That's what i was going to suggest.  I think it's cute for a little boy.
  • I like the Tripp idea since he's the third, that's super cute!  Or EJ too, but I can understand if you knew someone weird with that name, I'm the same way!

• imageKeKy1130:

I like the Tripp idea since he's the third, that's super cute!  Or EJ too, but I can understand if you knew someone weird with that name, I'm the same way!

Every time I hear the name, his face comes to mind!!  I hate it - esp. because EJ is a cute name and could really work!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"