Babies: 9 - 12 Months

reposting for others to give suggestions, 3-2 nap transition for 9.5 month old

Hello, I have a 9.5 month old boy and he currently takes three naps this is approx schedule. Between 7-8 am wakes has bottle.Approx 9:30am goes for a nap which is 1- 1.5 hrs Gets up has solids about 11-11:30 ishGoes for nap between 1:30 and 2 for 1-1.5 hrs or soHas bottle about 3 or 3:30pmHas third nap between 5-6pm ( this is the cat nap for one hour which we usually have to wake him for dinner of solids. He sometimes doesn't do this nap even when he is really tired. But lately has been doing it consistentlyAbout 8:30 or 9 we transition with bath, bottle, stories and bed. He usually last 2-2.5 hours between naps. We would really like it if he could have an earlier bedtime  but don't know how to go about this and still make sure he has five feeds ( feeds between 3-4 hours apart). He sleeps through the night, he does wake and babble, move around but goes back to sleep on his own. so we don't need to go into his room He goes to sleep on his own for naps and bedtime really well.Is it unrealistic for him to cut out the third nap. I keep going back and fourth on the idea of dropping it just not sure how to go about. When he doesn't have it he is extra tired and it takes a lot of constant over the top entertaining so he isn't fussy and if he has it he is so late going to bed.Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated, sorry for the long message just wanted to give enough info to set the stage so people could give the best suggestions and thoughts.Thanks!   

Re: reposting for others to give suggestions, 3-2 nap transition for 9.5 month old

• Bryce hasn't had a 3rd nap for a while now. He wakes up around 8am, naps at 10:30-11 for an 1 1/2 - 2 hours (normally), back down at 2:30-3 - for another hour or so. He is up by 4pm - then ready for bed between 7-7:30. He started to go to bed this early when we cut out his 3rd nap. He eats 3 solid meals - and nurses during the day also. Is is possible to just try dropping it and putting him down for the night earlier? I know when Bryce takes his nap later in the afternoon - and doesn't wake up until 4:30-5, it is much harder to get him down at his normal 7-7:30 bedtime since he woke up later and isn't as tired. I hope that makes sense, and helps. 
    Little man # 1 - 03/05/2010
    Little man # 2 - 05/02/2013
    Little sister - 07/16/2015
  • that`s a pretty short night for this age group, and if you have to wake him from that third nap he`s probably really overtired. you should be shooting for about 11-12 hours of sleep at night; so if he`s waking on his own between 7 and 8am, drop the third nap and get him into bed at 730. try that for a couple days and adjust as you see fit.

it might be a little hard to make it to bedtime at first if he`s only up 2 hours between naps, but after a few good nights of catching up on sleep hopefully it`ll smooth out. good luck! also maybe check out a sleep book from the library--any one, even ferber, will give you a table of recommended/average asleep-awake times so you know what you should be aiming for.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for your advice starryeyeddreamer. DH and I have discussed it and decided to try and move a couple feeds to be less apart, the last two. The reason for him up later or one reason anyways is because we have 3-4 hours between feeds and he has five of them. We are going to see how the day goes tomorrow and go from there. 

By the way Bryce is adorable, love the photo of him! 

Anymore thoughts are appreciated by anyone that wants to comment. 

• oh- also, spacing his feeds less than 3 1/2-4 hours apart may affect him sttn. if they eat more frequently, they take in less per feeding, and wake at night hungry. it can be a little hard to cram it all in, but i`d suggest setting his bedtime earlier and just doing the best you can. my dd nurses 5 times a day, has solids 2-3 times a day, and has a 12-hour-long `day`. sometimes i feel like all i do is feed her :) but i know it`ll even out soon, when she starts to wean. hth :)
  • Thanks to the advice second poster. It's really not that bad for sleep he gets around 10-11 hrs so in the range but I get what your  saying. We are going to try and get him into bed a little earlier and see how it goes. Just hope it doesn't adjust how much formula he drinks too much though as if feeds are closer together he may drink less. Hope it doesn't mean he will wake in the night hungry. But we won't know unless we try. He shows really good tired signs and has never had much luck staying up past two hours although he will if really entertained. Oh well he use to do 4 naps so we are down one but the third would be nice to drop and have him in bed earlier.

• What is STTN? Ya that is what I am worried about him taking in less milk because we put the feeds closer together, that is why I am reluctant to do it. But I don't know how else we can get him to bed earlier without waking him. I don't know it's a hard choice. I keep wavering back and forth on the idea!

hmmm,what to do! 

• Harrison hasn't had a 3rd nap, since he was 5-6 months old. He was really cranky for a good couple of weeks, but his body gradually got used to it.

Now his schedule is: wake up (8:00), 1st nap (10:00), 2nd nap (2:00), bedtime (8:00).

Both of his naps are between 1.5-2 hours long).

Preston transitioned from two naps to one when he was 12 months old. (right before his 1st birthday).

image Preston 10/13/06 - Harrison 04/14/10
  • Oh I looked it up Sleeping Through The Night! Well I say he does STTN but what i mean is he does wake sometimes during the night but just babbles for a bit and then goes back to sleep he doesn't need us to go in his room as he isn't upset. So he sleep isn't always straight through. 

• So at the end like my son he is up for a long time before bedtime it looks. How many feeds or bottles ( mine is bottle fed since 4 months) and solids does he have and when do you feed them. All our bottles and feeds except his last bottle before bed are not associated  with  sleep so he hasn't gotten use to having to have a bottle before sleep. I am just trying to figure out how to get James to bed earlier without changing the time between feeds so much. My husband said that the only way to do it is to wake him from naps to make sure he eats at certain times. I refuse to wake him although having said that i do wake him for supper if he has the 3rd nap. Thanks for your input!

Another thought may be like Harrison my son would just get use to not having the third nap. Hmmm... 

• I bf and eats solids. This is his eating schedule:

Nurses at 8:00

Fruits at 9:00

Nurses a little bit before 1st nap at 10:00

Veggies and snacks at 12:00

Nurses before nap at 2:00

Nurses again around 4:30 (but is starting to wean from this one).

Dinner (whatever we are eating) at 5:30-6:00

Nurses before bed at 7:45 (8:00)

I guess he does nurse before sleep too (except in the morning), but he doesn't always fall asleep while doing it and I can put him down fully awake, but tired of course.

image Preston 10/13/06 - Harrison 04/14/10
  • imagekathmummy2010:

What is STTN? Ya that is what I am worried about him taking in less milk because we put the feeds closer together, that is why I am reluctant to do it. But I don't know how else we can get him to bed earlier without waking him. I don't know it's a hard choice. I keep wavering back and forth on the idea!

hmmm,what to do!

as long as his formula feeds are 3.5-4 hours apart, you should be fine. don`t worry about where the solids get scheduled. rather than wake him from naps, try to keep him up a little longer instead and give him a bottle before naps, maybe.

an average day for my dd goes ~: half-nursing at 730, solids at 830, full nursing at 930, nap til 1045; solids at 1145, full nursing at 115, nap til 3 or 330; half nursing at 5, solids at 530, full nursing at 7, bed.

sorry i can`t really format, i`m on my phone. hope that helps :)

• imagekathmummy2010:

Thanks for your advice starryeyeddreamer. DH and I have discussed it and decided to try and move a couple feeds to be less apart, the last two. The reason for him up later or one reason anyways is because we have 3-4 hours between feeds and he has five of them. We are going to see how the day goes tomorrow and go from there. 

By the way Bryce is adorable, love the photo of him! 

Anymore thoughts are appreciated by anyone that wants to comment. 

Just checking this post again - thanks :-). GL! 

Little man # 1 - 03/05/2010
    Little man # 2 - 05/02/2013
    Little sister - 07/16/2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"