Minnesota Babies
Options

Babysitter Question - WWYD?

DH's 14 yr old niece is coming over tomorrow for a couple hours to spend some time with Mollie so she can babysit in the future.  DH and I are going back and forth if we should pay her something. 

Part of me says no because I will be here showing her what to do but the other part says yes to encourage her to do a good job.  WWYD? 

How much?  $10?  If we would go out for an evening dinner/movie or something like that probably $20-$25 for the night.

imageimage

Re: Babysitter Question - WWYD?

• Options
    I guess I would say no to paying her for tomorrow unless she will be caring for her & the $20-25 range is a good idea for the night 
  • Options

I would pay, but make her work for it...

Our plan with the neighbor girl is kind of a "dry run" show her what to do, and then we will leave her in charge while we clean the kitchen or do laundry or shovel snow or whatever...  so we are there and can address immediately anything that she may not do the way you would...

If you do something like that, I would pay her like $10 or so.

JP was born in March 2010. We love our little guy so much!! Hope to add a little sister for him in the future.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would pay her for her time. It's kind of like a job where you get "trained in".
  • Options

imageOsgirl:
    I would pay her for her time. It's kind of like a job where you get "trained in".

Yep. Her coming over to your house is ultimately to your benefit, so you pay.

• Options
    imageBeccaMarie:

imageOsgirl:

Yep. Her coming over to your house is ultimately to your benefit, so you pay.

I agree with this too. Just a little something to say thanks, but not a lot because you'll be there. And I also think that rate you were talking about is good for someone her age, it's way more than I would have gotten as a 14 year old babysitter! I got $1-$2 an hour - boy, has the going rate skyrocketed! :D 

Mom to Jace (7/2004), Cade (2/2009) and baby girl (5/2019)

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

I would pay her as well.  I think it will make her feel important, make her feel like she is earning something for her work, and encourage her to do a great job in the future.  That was actually how it worked out with me when I started babysitting (ages ago). 

DH's cousin is 12 now and I hope that when we have kids we can have her watch them.  We will most likely do the same thing as you and I can see us paying her a little something from the start. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

This.

FWIW we pay $13/hour for our childcare, and always pay when we trial. What's the incentive to them to come over and work for free (trial runs are work, no matter how you slice it).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"