2nd Trimester

SIL vent!

So my SIL had a baby back in June, which I think they got pregnant on purpose to beat my husband and me to begin with but we are past that. The other day we were asked if we had started picking out names yet. We have picked out our top boy and top girl names. Well when we told her the girl name "Bailey" my SIL jumps in and says "You cant take our name, we were going to name Josh that if he had been a girl!" Well this made me very mad because the whole time she was pregnant the only girl name we ever heard her say was "Isabelle" So i really do not believe she was thinking about the name we have picked out. Now it makes me want a girl so bad so that we can have the name.

Should we just over look her and do what we want or come up with another name?  Has anyone else been in this situation?

Re: SIL vent!

• Personally, I won't be telling anyone what my top name choices are because that's between myself and DH. If you've decided on the names you want then go for it. The truth of the matter is, your SIL didn't have a girl she had a boy. Besides names are not copyrighted so do you hun. 
  • My mom and my aunt were pregnant at the same time twice. When my mom was pregnant with me, she had picked the name Bradley Joseph for a boy and made the mistake of telling my aunt... my aunt had a boy first and used Bradley as his MN. Then, when my sister was born, my aunt had another boy and used Joseph as the MN for her second son. So, my mom was really torn about whether to use the name she had picked long before my aunt had used either of them... she ended up naming my brother Bradley, but used a different MN. It might just be my aunt, but I'm pretty sure she stole those names on purposes, she's just like that. If that's how your SIL is, then if you have a girl, forget her... you had a girl, she didn't... name your child what you want... if she has a fit about it, tell her that when she was pregnant with her son, you only ever heard Isabelle for a girl name and you came up with Bailey all on your own and will use it. She can use Isabelle for a girl.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm having a hard time getting past the fact that you think they had a baby before you just to beat you to the punch.

Name your baby whatever you want.

2 girls and a dog
  • The whole situation seems childish.  Name your kid what you want, but remember how you felt when your SIL "beat" you at having a baby first......she might feel the same way if you use the name she likes for a girl. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • She doesn't own the name and there is a possibility that she may never have a girl and even if she does she might change her mind about the name by then.  

My advice... 

1. Name your baby what you want to name it.

2. Don't discuss names that you actually want to use with family or friends. 

• It's not a competition.

Name your child whatever you want. No one can "call" a name. If she has a girl next she too can name the child "Bailey". There are 4 Michaels on one side of my family. People deal

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I agree you should name her Bailey if you want to.  They may no longer want that name by the time they have their next child.  Do whatever makes you and your hubby happy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagenikkirh83:

So my SIL had a baby back in June, which I think they got pregnant on purpose to beat my husband and me to begin with but we are past that.

Yeah, I can't take the rest of this post seriously.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageheather_09_15_07:

I'm having a hard time getting past the fact that you think they had a baby before you just to beat you to the punch.

Name your baby whatever you want.

Why is this so hard to believe? I have gotten pregnant twice just to show up my SIL. I am just petty like that. Isn't everyone?

Seriously OP, nobody owns a name. They might never have a girl. Then again, when they see you have a newborn she will probably get pregnant again just to get the attention back.  

• I think bad part on telling her your name. I would use the name anyway if you have a girl or maybe Isabella. OR you could tell her a new name you guys are "going to use" and see if she's going to take that one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Since when did baby-making become a competition? You both sound incredibly petty and immature.

Name your kid whatever you want, there are no copyrights.

And please, please, don't use your children to compete with one another their whole lives.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Picture114b Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I cannot stop laughing at the fact that you think she got pregnant just to beat you to it. I agree with PP that you both sound petty.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"