1st Trimester

Desperate. Please, please help!!

I am currently 9 weeks preggers and it has been over a week since I went to the bathroom (if you know what I mean) I tried coffee this morning but I only went just a wee bit..not enough to free my stomach from this misery. I'm desperate. Any ideas that can help me out? My Dr. recommended the fiber drink...it hasn't helped! All I want is to go the bathroom! It's pure misery! Should I go to the ER?

Re: Desperate. Please, please help!!

• Try some sort of dulcolax or milk of magnesia!  Take the milk of magnesia tonight before you go to bed and then hopefully in the a.m. you'll go!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Use a suppository.  They are safe during pregnancy.  Also start taking a stool softener like Colace.  Many women have to take colace through their pregnancy.  It's completely safe.
  • Loading the player...
  • Milk of Magnesia's not a laxative? It's safe to take? 
  • Colace?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• Prune juice? My mom made me drink that when I was little... Gross! But did the trick! And maybe some exercise to move it down?
    Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wedding Anniversary: August 7th 2010 BFP: December 22nd 2010 Beautiful Little Birthday: August 30th 2011

BLOG.

• My SIL and her BFF both make sure to eat a few prunes every day to stay regular.  

My dr. recommended 1 coke a day to get things moving.  

Also make sure you're drinking enough water.   

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Prunes???  I know people say they help.  They are actually kinda yummy.....It's worth a try!
  • Here's the deal and please consult your own OB above all else, I can only tell you my experience and I am not a doctor:

If you think your bowel is impacted (i.e. you are in severe pain) then yes, you need to go to the ER. I did this to myself around 15 weeks, and it took two enimas and a manual disimpaction to correct the problem.

It was unspeakable, but it had to be done. There really was no other choice at that point. I couldn't walk or sit down, I really have never experienced pain like that before in my life.

My OB and the ER doc both put me on Miralax once a day (it is a gentle laxitive that is safe during pregnancy), as well as Colace to help ease the process.

In addition, they told me to ease up on the fiber (actually makes it worse at this point), drink TONS of water, drink prune juice, eat dried fruit and stay away from apples/bananas/fatty foods/dairy until the problem corrected.

It sucks, and it's so not fun. I hope you find relief soon.

• I don't have any advice on getting things going right now, but I have kind of a long-term solution.  I was wondering if your prenatals may be part of the problem?  The iron is known to cause constipation.  I have always had "IBS-Type" symptoms, and it has not gotten any better with pregnancy.  I thought maybe it would bc of the vitamins and pregnancy itself.  I had been taking these Rainbow Light Prenatal One vitamins, and "going" all the time.  I finally figured out that it was because of the probiotics in it, which are to help keep you regular.  Well, they made a person like me go too much, so maybe they would help keep your constipation at bay in the long-term? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebjmyangel:
    Use a suppository.  They are safe during pregnancy.  Also start taking a stool softener like Colace.  Many women have to take colace through their pregnancy.  It's completely safe.

Ditto this. 

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Metamucil.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • an orange has abt 8 grams of fiber. I didn't have a BM for a week after I had surgery a couple of years ago, so I feel your pain (literally). My mom had me eat a couple of oranges before bed, and the next morning I finally had  BM. Give it a shot. GL!
  • I have to take Colace regularly and I also try to eat a bowl of fiber one cereal or a fiber one bar every day.  Really helps me.
  • How over a week? 8 days? 10 days? 2 weeks? Big difference.

If it's 8 - 10 days, I wouldn't go to the ER just yet.  

If I were you, I would try an enema (buy it from the drug store) or as PP suggested, a suppository - they're not pleasant but will hopefully get the job done.

Best of luck.  

• I had terrible constipation AFTER my daughter was born (A warning: pain killers can be constipating!!!). Try suppositories, stool softeners and a gentle laxative like Dolcolax. Also, make sure you check in with your doc on the last two. Definitely try to figure it out very soon because it can be dangerous if you're constipated too much. I ended up in the ER. :(
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • imageambrandau2:

Here's the deal and please consult your own OB above all else, I can only tell you my experience and I am not a doctor:

If you think your bowel is impacted (i.e. you are in severe pain) then yes, you need to go to the ER. I did this to myself around 15 weeks, and it took two enimas and a manual disimpaction to correct the problem.

It was unspeakable, but it had to be done. There really was no other choice at that point. I couldn't walk or sit down, I really have never experienced pain like that before in my life.

My OB and the ER doc both put me on Miralax once a day (it is a gentle laxitive that is safe during pregnancy), as well as Colace to help ease the process.

In addition, they told me to ease up on the fiber (actually makes it worse at this point), drink TONS of water, drink prune juice, eat dried fruit and stay away from apples/bananas/fatty foods/dairy until the problem corrected.

It sucks, and it's so not fun. I hope you find relief soon.

Yeah... I was impacted, too. I also had to had the manual disimpaction. It was just plain terrible, but it had to be done! I was in so much pain that I remember being naked and crying while I had icy cold water from the bathtub running over my poor bottom (with episiotomy and hemorrhoids). It was awful! Just plain awful!

OP, if you think you're impacted and in a lot of pain, go to the ER now.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • I would say increase your fiber intake, more water and maybe some mucinex...call your doc. ASAP and talk to a nurse, so you can know what's safe to take!! GL
  • imagebjmyangel:
    Also start taking a stool softener like Colace.  Many women have to take colace through their pregnancy.  It's completely safe.

I second this! This is what my doctor recommended. I took one on Monday and went yesterday morning. I'm going to take one every other day; it is amazing! I feel so much better!

I tried psyllium husk capsules but with very little results. Try colace--I found a good off-brand version at Publix.

• Try the bomb (as we called it at the hospital)

If the doc says its safe to drink Milk of Mag than take 30 cc of Milk of mag mix it with prune juice, warm it in the micro for like 30 sec and drink

rinse and repeat if necessary :)

• imagebrandy4nicole:
    I don't have any advice on getting things going right now, but I have kind of a long-term solution.  I was wondering if your prenatals may be part of the problem?  The iron is known to cause constipation.  I have always had "IBS-Type" symptoms, and it has not gotten any better with pregnancy.  I thought maybe it would bc of the vitamins and pregnancy itself.  I had been taking these Rainbow Light Prenatal One vitamins, and "going" all the time.  I finally figured out that it was because of the probiotics in it, which are to help keep you regular.  Well, they made a person like me go too much, so maybe they would help keep your constipation at bay in the long-term? 

I'm taking these vitamins and have NO problems with constipation, yet. In fact, I am going more often than normal, but that doesn't really bother me. Maybe you should try them. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • my doctor put me on miralax for this exact issue. It is safe to take during pregnancy. You mix with your water or juice and cannot even taste it! Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker M/C June 2010 at 9weeks 3days
  • Metamucil smooth forumla orange has become my new bff
    imageimageimage
  • Miralax works really well although it takes a couple days to kick in.  Maybe try White Castles?  I don't mean that as a joke, it works!
  • I think you should consult your doctor. Some of the advice in this post will make the problem worse. Eating a ton of fiber when you're already constipated won't help. I'm in the same boat as you, and I take colace daily. I'll be contacting my doctor to figure out what laxative is safe if nothing works in a few days. I'm taking extra iron, so I know that's the problem for me. Good luck.
  • Prunes rocked my world 3xs yesterday....if you know what I am saying.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"