Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Breastfeeding Question

I have come to find out since I started back to work and pumping that one side is not producing near the amount the other side is. It is confusing and annoying me to death. I try to pump it longer and try to make LO stay on it longer to see if that will help but so far nothing. Are there any other suggestions that you all might have??????? I am just so confused.

Re: Breastfeeding Question

• Totally normal. Mine is the same way, and I've done everything to try and even it out, but I still have one stud and one dud. Not much I can do about it! Just keep feeding your LO and be happy you can breastfeed/pump!

You could try to start the feedings on the dud side since the sucking is more vigorous, but since you're pumping, I'm not sure how that would work! Just keep on going!! It's totally normal and fine. Lots of women on the BFing board have this same issue. 

• That can be normal. I have the same issue. The right side produces more than the left no matter what I do. Just remember that not all boobies respond to pumping the same, but your baby is much  more efficient at getting out the milk than your pump. Here are some of the things I do:

- Pump longer on that side - it can take a week or so to amp up more milk.I pump at least 15 minutes on each side.

- massage the breast as you pump. Sometimes the movement will encourage the ducts to let down. 

- distract yourself while pumping. I know this seems weird, but if I am distracted I get more milk - I have NO idea why. 

- drink lots of water. I try to drink between 32 oz and 64 oz a day. 

• Loading the player...
  • Totally normal, kind of like how one is always bigger than the other, one foot is always longer than the other,etc.  Not everything is the same and there is no point in trying to make it produce the same amount. It is going to product what it is going to produce, don't obsess about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • a warm compress works well for me, I usually alternate sides I start pumping on but I have a single pump and the side I end on usually has more
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKtkeeps:

Totally normal. Mine is the same way, and I've done everything to try and even it out, but I still have one stud and one dud. Not much I can do about it! Just keep feeding your LO and be happy you can breastfeed/pump!

You could try to start the feedings on the dud side since the sucking is more vigorous, but since you're pumping, I'm not sure how that would work! Just keep on going!! It's totally normal and fine. Lots of women on the BFing board have this same issue. 

LOL!  I am going to think this every time I pump now.  Sorry, lefty, you're a dud :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"