Trying to Get Pregnant

Report shows 16 & Pregnant has reduced teen pregnancy

The teen pregnancy rate declined 6% in 2009 and a report shows that teens have specifically said that the show 16 & Pregnant helped them understand why to avoid teen pregnancy.

https://tv.yahoo.com/blog/a-force-behind-the-lower-teen-birthrate-mtvs-16-and-pregnant--2023

So I guess there may be some AWs that are getting pg just to be on the show, but fortunately that seems to be a small minority.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Report shows 16 & Pregnant has reduced teen pregnancy

• I saw this this morning. I have always thought the show glamorized it too much (IMO). A lot of the girls live on their own, and it doesn't really show them struggling for money, etc. My husband gets so angry when I watch it... lol
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• imagemrsjhaley:
    I wonder if this report was sponsored by MTV or an affiliate....

It says it was sponsored by the National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, which was founded in 1996.  Doesn't sound like MTV sponsored it directly but the campaign may have some affiliation with the show.

• Loading the player...
  • I haven't heard anything about the show specifically but I did see a report on CNN that teen birth rates (I believe under 21) declined from 2009 to 2008, and have declined every more from 2009 to this point in 2010. I think the show glamorizes the mom part of teen mom, but it shows the toll it takes on family relationships and on the relationship between the parents of the new baby. A lot of teen girls have the mindset if they get pregnant then their boyfriend will stay with them, by showing thats not true it probably influences how teens think.
  • imagedoozer1345:
    I saw this this morning. I have always thought the show glamorized it too much (IMO). A lot of the girls live on their own, and it doesn't really show them struggling for money, etc. My husband gets so angry when I watch it... lol

the first teen mom i felt did the same thing. But the new episodes of 16 and pregnant would have scared me away if i ever thought twice before having sex in high school. All those girls struggling with their s/o, all the tears, not graduating college. One episode had a father who kept putting the mother down...never came to see the baby ever...but got on her case for going out to homecoming game one night. He called her a bad mom...then proceeded to tell her she was a whore, and that he enjoyed putting her down because she deserved it. Lastly he told her that he wanted to sign the papers over for "that mistake". It was awful...and I knew several guys back in high school who would have done that! Heck my ex husband is 30 years old and has not even seen his kids in 2 months...(or called.) Be a mother is wonderful...but there are so many responsabilities that go with it...I am praying my children understand this when they get older.  

Photobucket BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • imagedoozer1345:
    I saw this this morning. I have always thought the show glamorized it too much (IMO). A lot of the girls live on their own, and it doesn't really show them struggling for money, etc. My husband gets so angry when I watch it... lol

the first teen mom i felt did the same thing. But the new episodes of 16 and pregnant would have scared me away if i ever thought twice before having sex in high school. All those girls struggling with their s/o, all the tears, not graduating high school. One episode had a father who kept putting the mother down...never came to see the baby ever...but got on her case for going out to homecoming game one night. He called her a bad mom...then proceeded to tell her she was a whore, and that he enjoyed putting her down because she deserved it. Lastly he told her that he wanted to sign the papers over for "that mistake". It was awful...and I knew several guys back in high school who would have done that! Heck my ex husband is 30 years old and has not even seen his kids in 2 months...(or called.) Be a mother is wonderful...but there are so many responsabilities that go with it...I am praying my children understand this when they get older.  

Photobucket BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • well at least its making somewhat of a difference
  • I'm watching my old episodes of 16 & Pregnant right now.  It's good to know that the show is encouraging teens to NOT get pregnant.  It's MTV, I always worried it would make it look cool since they're on TV.  I'm glad they're getting the point.

It scares me how few of these girls had any idea about birth control. Sad

• I love that show! 
  • I really hope it has helped with teen pregnancy! I think teens who aren't prepared to be a mother should really avoid getting pregnant.
  • imagedoozer1345:

I agree that it tends to "glamourize" the situation and I only think it's made worse by all the shows that are continuations of 16/pregnant such as teen moms2, etc.  It always makes me so angry that these teens can get pregnant after having intercourse once and there are people out there that are ready for babies and struggling.  I hope that's a valid statistic.

BTW, my husband rolls his eyes everytime I watch it too......but it's sooo intriguing!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageSkyBee:
    I really hope it has helped with teen pregnancy! I think teens who aren't prepared to be a mother should really avoid getting pregnant.

I think maybe you meant to say you think teens AND people who aren't prepared to be a mother should avoid getting pregnant? Lol

• MTV gave a presentation about Gen Y at work last month, and this is exactly what they were hoping for. A question came up about parents worried about their daughters watching the show, and they said it's meant to show the harsh realities of getting pregnant so young. I'm glad it's working.
  • imagemrsjhaley:
    I wonder if this report was sponsored by MTV or an affiliate....

This. I was dumb enough to sit and watch a whole episode and it's rediculous trash. It's staged, and those girls make more money in a season than most of us will make in two years to cry about how hard it is, and how broke they are while they have their hair and nails done despite not being able to buy formula or diapers. MTV is lacking.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"