Baby Names

Anyone NOT prefer nicknames? Nicknamers reply also.

Just curious.  If I learn how to do a clicky poll, I might make it more like this:

Are you going to predominantly call your child by and request that family/others call your child by:

Their full first name?

Their full first name and full middle name?

Their first and middle initial?

A shortened nickname? (ex:  We named her Eleanor but we want you to call her Ella.)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
BFP 12/05/10 (EDD 8/8/11), empty gestational sac 12/31/10, natural miscarriage 01/05/11
BFP 03/03/11, EDD 11/09/11, We love you so much already, our sweet little munchkin!!!
BabyFruit Ticker
*Congrats to buddies MrsAtch, cflocco, MommyandKate, luckylady55, opallover, trishiepoo, stephsteph77, and Pachita! Praying for healthy babies for all of you!*
*Congrats to my buddy, Izabella22 (BFP 5/11/11)!!!Sending you Ts and Ps for a healthy, take-home baby!
*Congrats to my buddy, myaddiwaddi06(BFP 10/31/11)!!!Sending you Ts and Ps for a healthy, take-home baby!

Re: Anyone NOT prefer nicknames? Nicknamers reply also.

• My son is named John Edward. It was a compromise name, DHdadsname Mydadsname. Originally it was to be Emmett Joseph. 

We call him Jack. We have never called him anything else. This is ONLY because we compromised on the name. I know Jack is a standalone and I wouldn't have minded that at all.

DH's dad calls him John but nobody else does.  

• I don't mind nicknames... HOWEVER, I am a little irritated that people are already trying to come up with them for our baby, after just finding out the name. 

We chose Conar for our little man's name... IMMEDIATELY after we told FIL, he kept saying "I think I will just call him Conan"..

I would like for people to at least try to say his real name a few times before jumping all over the nicknames... but I'm sure when he is actually born, i won't even worry about stuff like that!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageSheas:

I don't mind nicknames... HOWEVER, I am a little irritated that people are already trying to come up with them for our baby, after just finding out the name. 

We chose Conar for our little man's name... IMMEDIATELY after we told FIL, he kept saying "I think I will just call him Conan"..

I would like for people to at least try to say his real name a few times before jumping all over the nicknames... but I'm sure when he is actually born, i won't even worry about stuff like that!

Is that Coe-nar or Con-ner?

(Oh and I forgot to add above, my real name is not Patty and my real name has no  good nicknames, I always wanted one)  

• imagePattypoundcake:
    imageSheas:

Yes, this. The spelling of Conar rhymes with Sonar. Coe-nar. Wondering if it's supposed to sound like the double Ns of Connor. 

• imagePattypoundcake:
    imageSheas:

Yes, this. The spelling of Conar rhymes with Sonar. Coe-nar. Wondering if it's supposed to sound like the double Ns of Connor. 

Oh, but to answer PP's question, we're split down the middle on this. DD1 has no NNs based on her name (just non-name-related terms of endearment), while DD2 has boatloads of NNs based on her name...

• DD's full name is Elizabeth Everett G. 

We call her Betsy 100% of the time, and so does everyone else.  I guess you could even say that we chose her formal name because we loved the nickname.  We feel that Betsy is cute without being cutesy, grows well, and is not very common.  But we also love Elizabeth and I like that B will have the option of using a more formal name later in her life if she so chooses. 

• DD's name is Annika and I don't like any nicknames for it (e.g., "Annie", "Ani", "Nick" or "Nika"), so we refer to her by her full first name.  Luckily, our families don't call her by nicknames either, so that's good. 

My first name is Michelle and I hated all of the shortened nicknames people tried to give me, like "Mich", "Mitch", "Shelly" and "Chelle". 

• Neither my DH or I have a nickname.  I don't particularly like nicknames from the get.  We chose a one syllable boy's name with no nn.  I feel like, If the kid chooses to go by a nn later - then fine, but I don't like naming one name and calling another.  

My best friend in college name was Catherine.  Parents and friends growing up always called her Caty.  She was so happy to get away from that and be able to go by Cate.  She hated Caty and tried to shake it for years.  Still at home people call her that.  Drives her nuts. 

• imagePocky873:

My first name is Michelle and I hated all of the shortened nicknames people tried to give me, like "Mich", "Mitch", "Shelly" and "Chelle". 

Ding ding ding :-)  

• I don't like nicknames and we used names for out kids that don't really have any nice nicknames.  DS is Spencer and DD is Scarlett.
  • We're big NN people. I love longer names that have great NN potential.

We do call Luke and Ella by their full name but most of the time, we say Luke and Ella. Everyone pretty much calls them Luke and Elena/Ella.

• Their full name and this is why. My name is Rebecca and growing up I had 10 nicknames. I got called Rebecca/Becky/Becca/Beck/Reba/Beckers/Beckham/Bex (these are the only ones I remember, but I'm sure there were more) My parents told people (family and friends) that they wanted me to be called Reba or Rebecca, nothing else. Well, apparently they didn't listen and preceded to call me Becky and Becca. Then school came and so did the other forms of Rebecca. My kids have short names and no nicknames. People do try to get nicknames out of my kid's names, but I jump down their throats when they do.

*Sigh* Vent over.....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am not a fan of nicknames.  All of my kids have names that do not have nick names associated with them.

That said, all of them get called their first name - unless they are in trouble and then they get the first, middle and sometimes last lol

The baby gets "Elsie June" a lot, but I think it is because we think it sounds so nice together

• The girl names on our list are shortened forms of longer names, and that is what will be on their birth certificate.  Maggie or Lucy, but for a boy we love Theodore and we will either call him Teddy or Theodore.

• I have ruled out so many girls names soley because I can't stand the associated nicknames.  That being said, if we have a boy I want to name him Nathaniel and I really don't mind if he is called Nate. 
  • Not a fan of nn. My full name is a nn, Jenny, and it bugs me when people just take it upon themselves to call me Jen. Ugh! Dh uses the shortened version of his name, but I just don't care for nn. DS is Tanner, and my mom started calling him Tan. I hate it. Is it that hard to pronounce the second syllable?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it will depend on what names we actually settle on.  Our top choice for a boy right now is Benjamin, and I'm sure we'll call him Ben most of the time.  For a girl, our top choice was Claire (which doesn't really have a nn) but lately we're leaning more toward Vanessa (nn Nessa) or Lucy (that would be her full name). 

I don't mind nicknames at all though, I actually think they're sweet.  For me, I'd say it was like a 70/30 split (70% of the time people called me Dana, and 30% of the time I got either Day or Dane).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

11.10.10 from my belly to my heart at 11wks 5days

• I plan to choose a name for our LO that is not nicknamable.

My name is Jennifer, and my family always used my full name.  Of course at school, I got called Jenny (which I didn't like) and in college Jen (which was ok, but not my first preference).  So I have a strong feeling about it.

I didn't realize how strong the feeling was until after my DD was born and named.  We chose Lillian, and I figured we'd call her Lily.  But we called her Lillian and it suited her so well, and now it kind of bugs me when people call her Lily, because her name is LILLIAN.  So now for #2 I will choose a no-nickname name.  

• I like nicknames for names that have natural and longstanding nicknames..  For example: I sometimes feel strange calling a Michael or William by their FN and not just Mike or Will.  I think it is because growing up everyone with these traditional names went by a shortened version. I always feel like they are being stuffy if they are referred to by the full name.  I really like classic girl names with nicknames (our top girl names are Evelyn and Eleanor (Evie and Nora). 

DH really dislikes names that have implied nicknames for boys so we avoided choosing names that had built in nicknames.  However, DS #1 is Reed and gets called Reedo a lot.  I never considered this as a nn, but as soon as he was born people started to call him Reedo and I don't really  mind it, but I never call him that.  DS #2 is Pierce and so far he hasn't gotten any nicknames.

• I grew up with a nickname.  My real name is Kassandra, but some of my family and really old friends call me Kasey.  When I was younger, I was teased constantly about my nickname, so when I moved cities at twelve, I dropped the nickname and only introduced myself by my real name.  My daughters' names are Brianna and Alexa, but my husband and I immediately started calling them Bree and Lexi.  The names suit them, but when they are older, if they want to go by their real names, that's their decision.
  • I didn't choose names that have nicknames associated with them...I don't think we did it on purpose.  That being said, we hardly call either of our kids by their proper names!  DD is Sugarbean and her friends call her LuLu.  Right now DS is Pork Chop and Troublemaker. 

• I don't use nick names for my daughter, but I have a few for my sister. I prefer ones that come along naturally, as opposed to pre-planned. E has a somewhat natural nickname, but we never use it...she's just her full name.
    Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • What I don't like very much is when people choose a nice full name, and then only use the nickname, which is usually cutesy and doesn't grow well. However, for our top boy choice right now, I actually like the NN (Cal for Calvin). That's highly unusual for me. DH goes by a nickname, and I have a name that actually gets lengthened. I don't mind my nicknames (Brookey, Brookelyn), but I intend to choose names for which I like the full name for our children.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • We very deliberately chose our sons' names based on the fact that I personally detest nicknames for little boys.  We picked names that are short, strong, masculine, and that don't lend themselves to a nn.  I only call my boys by their first and middle names when they are in trouble.

Ironically, we will likely choose a formal name for our daughter that will lend itself to an approved nn that we will encourage people to use if they don't want to use her full name.

imageimageimage
  • I'm OK with both. My FN is Amy and in some ways I like that it's so simple and straightforward (though I have had people ask if it's short for Amelia), but I can see how it would be nice to have options, too. Our boys are Alexander and William and they generally go by Alex and Will, though we call them Alexander and William sometimes.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • We actually tried to choose a name that wouldn't nn easy. I had tons of nicknames growing up and am finally getting people to realize that I have outgrown them and would prefer not to be called them. My son's home nn is one he's kind of given himself and it's not associated with his name at all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't like nn's at all. My dh is Joel and goes by Joey (If that's what you call him shouldn't that be his legal name?) No one in my family has nn's. We have a Michael the goes by "Michael" even. There is also a Jenny, legal name is Jenny.
    M/C 04-1999 Missed M/C 04-20-2005 M/C 11-09-2006 DD - Sable Ren
  • I will request that people call my child by his full first name.  I dislike NNs and don't understand why people use them on a regular basis.  I actually vetoed many names because they have common NNs and I knew it would be hard to keep people from shortening them.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Angel Baby: 5/29/08

• I love my FULL name- Elizabeth. I grew up hating all the million nicknames ppl would call me. I would INSIST they call me Elizabeth and to this day i am most commonly called Liz but you can imagine the amount of names that come from it...My husband prefers Michael and ppl insist on calling him mike or even worse Mikey.  

When we decided on our daughters name the nn worry was a factor. We both happen to LOVE Ava and we also love that its nickname proof. =)

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We call our kids by their nicknames... when we introduce them to people, I usually say the nickname (usually they ask if it is short for something, then I tell them)  I like nicknames.  My name is Amanda, and I never liked that I couldn't choose a nickname other than Mandy... I am just not a Mandy.  My girls have at least a few options as nicknames, or they can use their full name when they get older.
  • imagePattypoundcake:
    imageSheas:

I don't mind nicknames... HOWEVER, I am a little irritated that people are already trying to come up with them for our baby, after just finding out the name. 

I was thinking the same thing..........Cone-R

(Oh and I forgot to add above, my real name is not Patty and my real name has no  good nicknames, I always wanted one)  

• I love nicknames. In fact, for almost every name on my list, I have more than one nickname that I adore. But nicknames to me are a term of adoration. Therefore I will expect people to call my children by their full first names most of the time, unless they are a close friend or family member.

I see myself using the nicknames mostly at home. When my kids get older they can decide to say, "Please call me by my nickname" if they want to.

• I did not have a nickname related to my name while growing up and have no preference on them. DH is an Anthony nicknamed Tony, so his opinion is a little different. DS is Isaac, with the option of Ike. When he was born we let people know that they had the option, but we've just never called him Ike or Ikey. I'm take it or leave it with nicknames.
    Isaac Levi 4/26/09 : BFP#2 - MC 9w : Ezra John 6/26/11 : Miriam Joy 4/12/13 : Naomi Ann 9/2/14

• We named Jackson, "Jackson" so that he could shorten it to Jack if he would like.  Some family members call him that.  It sounds weird to me, but I am fine with it  DH and I mostly call him "Jelly" which is bad, we need to stop doing that or he will think his name is actually "Jelly".

MH and his brothers are Michael, Daniel, and Gilbert... they all go by nicknames but have nice strong full names to use as well that their parents use and they use with one another.

I am Amanda, and was never a "Mandy"... but I liked the name trends in DH's family and as a result have mostly chosen names for my lists that have nice strong nicknames with them.  Jackson, Harrison, Benjamin, Ariana, Jillian, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH and I both go by our full names, even though my name could be shortened.  We named DD Eleanor with the idea of calling her Ellie.  However, in the hospital we both just quit calling her Ellie, and Eleanor really stuck.  It suites her, and DH and I love it.  I get hate it when people ask if we call her Ellie or Ella and then look shocked when we say no. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker
  • I do NOT like nicknames.  People shorten my name and I hate it.  People shorten DH's name and I hate it.  

DS is Alex, it is not short for Alexander, it is Alex.

If we wanted to call him Alexander we would've named him that.

• imagejenniferb123006:
    I'm Jennifer. My family calls me Jenny. Growing up I also had the nn Jen-Jen. In college I decided it was easier to go by Jennifer. I now go by Jenny personally, Jennifer professionally, and answer to any variation of Jennifer.
    My DH is Wesley. His whole family calls him Wesley. All his friends and my family call him Wes. Professionally he uses both.
    We named our DD Mary Adeline. When we introduce her we say, "This is Mary Adeline. We call her Addie." Addie suits her right now. It's spunky like her little determined personality. We also do call her Mary Adeline on occasion. We plan on letting her choose what she wants to be called when she's older. She definitely has options with her name (Mary, Mary Adeline, Addie).
    The only name I don't like is when people call her Addie Lou. (We actually like Louise/Louisa for a future DD.) It's not any part of her name! I've come to realize that it's a Southern thing. Both my BFF and the DC call her this as a term of endearment. I may not like it, but I guess there are worse names. Pick your battles. ;)

Hahahhaa!  We call my daughter Addie Lu!  Not often, but my blog is called "Addie Lu and Evie too"  her middle name is Lucielle though :)

• The only request we made of people for DS (Desmond Jacob) was that they NOT call him DJ.  I call him a pretty even mixture of Desmond, Des/z, Dezzy and, when he's being naughty, Desmond Jacob.  Our family mostly calls him Des/z or Dezzy.
    imageimage

• We chose our children's names with nn's in mind.  I love nns.  I never had one growing up, but always wanted one.
  • DD's name is Megan.  We call her Megan.  We have never called her anything else.  Everyone calls her Megan, except my MIL.  She calls her Meggie, and it drives me batshitcrazy!  Her name is Megan!  But I don't feel like I can say anything since I already stopped FIL from calling her Mac, which are her initials.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"