High-Risk Pregnancy

GD diet question

My doctor told me today that she wanted me to stay on the GD diet plan forever, whether or not I tested positive for diabetes after delivery.  This seems pretty strict to me.  Did anyone else have their doctor tell them this?  I get that I'll have to watch my diet and be careful, to decrease my risk of developing type 2 diabetes in the future, but do I really have to measure and carb-count every meal and snack for the rest of my life, with no indulgences?

ETA: So far, I'm not on meds or insulin, and I'm not having any trouble keeping my blood sugar levels under control with diet alone.  I could see being super-strict if I was having trouble controlling the diabetes, but I'm not, so why can't I have a milkshake after I deliver?  *pouting*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: GD diet question

• My doctor has not said anything like this. I met with the diabetes educator right after being diagnosed. She said that GD almost always goes away at delivery or shortly after, but that I should be conscious of the increased risk of type 2 later on. On a side note, she was adament that I must have a family history of diabetes which I do not--went through the family tree with my parents and can only find one pretty distant relative (father's great aunt) with any history of diabetes. However, she said nothing about continuing to eat strict low carbs, etc. She just said that I can use this to be aware of what I'm eating and hopefully reduce any risk later on. In fact, she said that the diet & testing levels for type 2 are different than those recommended for GD. 

I've already asked my mom to freeze some of the cookies she's making for the holidays so that I can enjoy them after little one arrives (not a ton, but enough to satisfy that craving). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My doctor and endocrinologist have been very strict with me, and neither has told me that I have to continue the diet after. I'll just be retested 6 weeks after delivery to see if my body has adjusted back after the birth. When I told my OBGYN how much I missed pizza, she even joked that she will have the nurses order me one as soon as the baby arrives!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I specifically asked my nutritionist if it is recommended to continue with the GD after pregnancy, just as a precaution. She said that was totally unnecessary. I didn't question her any further because I was satisfied with that answer!

Side note: Alice, is there really no room in your meal plan for a slice of pizza? I have worked this in a few times and had a lot of success (thank GOD). I know everyone is different, but maybe you can work it in! (had a slice with veggies & chicken that was delish. Also a pepperoni slice from Papa Gino's with a salad. Its enough to feed that pizza craving so I don't feel totally deprived!). Sorry for the unwarranted advice, I'm just a pizza junkie trying to help Stick out tongue

• Because I came into this pregnancy pre-diabetic already, I can't say based off of what my Dr. said during pregnancy, so this is mearly an opinion.  My thought is that it is great you are controlling your GD with diet, but perhaps that's why they want you to continue it.  If they see there are no problems after a while perhaps they will say to go ahead and keep a healthy diet still but not so strict.  The reason it is controlled is because of your diet so that could be why they want you to continue so that you don't have to take meds now or ever!

Good Luck and if anything ask the Dr. they should be able to tell you why they feel this way.

**February 20th, 2010 I Married My Best Friend and June 5th, 2011 My Soulmate Was Born** image Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimageimage
  • Vanessa-

My numbers have to be so strict that I'm scared to risk it. My post meal readings have to be below 120 an hour after meals, and my endo was upset that some were even around 115 and advised me to cut more carbs or else she wanted to put me on insulin. No idea why she seems to be so much more strict than any other doctor I've heard of, but I'm terrified of insulin so I'm just being super cautious. I did however have one small slice with a super thin crust the other night with my salad and meat and it was heaven!

I dream about getting a giant pepperoni pizza though, with a big cupcake for dessert. My husband has already been given a list of all the things I want as soon as I'm able. 7 weeks to go!

• imageAliceMM:

Vanessa-

My numbers have to be so strict that I'm scared to risk it. My post meal readings have to be below 120 an hour after meals, and my endo was upset that some were even around 115 and advised me to cut more carbs or else she wanted to put me on insulin. No idea why she seems to be so much more strict than any other doctor I've heard of, but I'm terrified of insulin so I'm just being super cautious. I did however have one small slice with a super thin crust the other night with my salad and meat and it was heaven!

I dream about getting a giant pepperoni pizza though, with a big cupcake for dessert. My husband has already been given a list of all the things I want as soon as I'm able. 7 weeks to go!

Wow, that does seem strict. Those numbers are what I shoot for TWO hours after meals. That giant pepperoni pizza sure is going to hit the spot 7 weeks from now :)

• Yes, my doctor told me the same thing.  She said try to stick with almost the same diet afterwards so I won't get type 2 later on the down the road.  I have 6 more months of pregnancy and to me that feels endless. I can't even begin to think about feeling this deprived for the rest of my life.  
  • I would definitely get a second opinion before continuing the GD diet after pregnancy.
  • Yes, my RD and Peri both advised me to follow the principles of the diet even after pregnancy. I will definitely strive to eat healthy, but I won't be depriving myself as much as I am now.

Diabetes runs on both sides of my family, so I already knew I'd have higher odds of developing it, but I don't want to live life constantly in fear of it. I had my annual physical about a month before finding out I was pregnany and my blood sugar was fine. The RD and Peri have been way too "The sky is falling!" about it.

• None of my caregivers have suggested that I stick to the GD diet post delivery. I'm also at a higher risk of Type 2 b/c of my PCOS. In 95% of cases GD goes away shortly after birth, so aside from the general health benefits of the diet, there's really no reason.

I think that I will definitely be limiting my carb intake more than usual post delivery though. By the time I give birth I will have been on the diet for almost 5 months, so it's almost become habit. That being said I've still been able to indulge with a little bit of chocolate, the odd Christmas treat, and pizza (with a salad), all without affecting my BS levels, so I don't feel deprived most of the time.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• My doctor has my testing 1 hr after and I need to be under 120.  He said after the baby's birth I could eat what ever I want but to keep testing for the first two or three weeks just to make sure I'm doing alright.
  • Nobody has said that I need to continue the diet or monitoring post-delivery. I know that I do have to test my blood sugar at about 6 weeks postpartum and they'll check on that.

I think that the GD diet has really helped me understand how to have a more balanced diet, how to eat more fruits and vegetables, and it might have curbed my sweet tooth a little bit, but I am really looking forward to being able to eat without thinking too hard. 

I think my diet will be better in the future, but I am looking forward to the occasional donut/ice cream cone/milkshake/french fries/cupcake once baby is here.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAliceMM:

Vanessa-

Those numbers may seem strict, but not impossible! I am type II diabetic and these are the numbers my Maternal-Fetal Medicine MD requires of me... however, I don't have much trouble staying in that range... as long as I am careful with when and how many carbs I have. I've eaten pizza at least once a week over the past month, with no issues. I just eat about half as much as I would normally like and supplement my meal with salad (dressing on the side).

To the OP, I don't think you can never indulge... but trust me, if you can keep from becoming a diabetic with a good diet... do it! There are so many other health issues that diabetes brings. I could need a liver or kidney transplant in the next 15-20 years, even with good control, because it stresses your organs. Not to mention the more than doubled risk for heart attack and stroke.

I am doing my best to stay healthy, because first of all, I want my child to be healthy, but also, I want to be around for him/her as long as I can!

• Have you met with a nutritionist?  If you haven't, I would really recommend it.  Mine wants me to meet with her one final time after I deliver to talk about what I can do to reduce my chances of getting type 2 diabetes later in life.  I did ask if I have to stay on the diet I'm on now and she said definitely not, but that she did want to talk about managing my diet post-pregnancy to make sure that I don't become overweight, which greatly increases the chances of developing type 2.  She also said that it's okay to splurge and indulge yourself after the baby's born, but just not to make it an every day thing.  I think I will continue to watch my carbs (although definitely not as strictly as now) and continue with my exercise routine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Check out my blog ThreeHundredPages.com Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"