Working Moms

A whole week home with DS (help!) :)

I'll be off between Christmas Eve and New Year's. I've realized on weekends how much work it is to be with DS all day now that maternity leave is a few months behind me. As hard as being a working mom is, I give SAHM's a lot of credit for being home 24/7! DH will be home for a few days, but for the most part I'll be with him alone all day. I'm a little nervous about keeping DS occupied and enjoying this time off as much as I can. DS's also too young to do much outside of the home, especially if the weather's not good. He's also still a catnapper so far, fingers crossed we are trying for a nap schedule over the break. What are your tricks for making the most out of longer times at home with your kids?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: A whole week home with DS (help!) :)

• Honestly, at that age, I would probably set one goal a day for myself (i.e. make dinner or go to the grocery store) and if it happened, it happened, if not, oh well.

Enjoy your time - and just chat away w/ your LO, sing songs, practice tummy time, read, etc. but remember he will nap a good bit of the day.  Don't stress too much.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Ha! I totally feel your pain. I feel like that a lot. I love DD, but keeping her stimulated and happy alone for days on end is overwhelming!

Other moms are going to have the same problem with child care closed. Can you talk with the other moms at your DCP and maybe have a playdate? Or a playdate with friends, co-workers or family? Do you have retired relatives or SAH friends? I filled a good chunk of time with playdates, admittedly more for me, at that age.

Other than that, the good news is that you will have new stuff from Christmas to play with. Bundle him up and take him for walks, even if it's around the mall. You need to get out some. See if there is a story hour at the library or local bookstore. He might be young, but he might enjoy it and you will get out. I would do photo shoots for an hour or so every day.

The time will go quickly and you will have fun. Enjoy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    met DH 1995 ~ married DH 2006 ~ completed our family 2008
    Life is good!
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with one of the pp who said to set very low goals whilst at home with your DS.  One of the things I do when I'm off work for longer periods when I need to just do something for me is to read a book.  I lay of my stomach and position DD to see my feet which she watches me wiggle around as I read and relax.  I also occassionally position her on her little play mat/gym and having the tv playing (out of her site obviously) and chat with her occasionally as she stares at the hanging objects or reaches for them.  Most of all, remember to relax and enjoy being & playing with him.  He's not always going to be that 3 month old bundle of sweetness.  Plus, part of parenthood is learning to be a little less self-focused.  Have fun!
    Photobucket LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • I have to stay busy, even now that my kids are older, or I go a little nuts.  Next week I've planned playdates, have scheduled 1 at home task to tackle each day and am planning on visiting some relatives (I've also stocked up on arts and crafts, but that's not really relevant for you yet).  You could try walking around the mall, going to a movie (matinee when it's not too busy and less chance of bugging people if your LO gets fussy), checking out a museum ... lots of things you can do with a LO in a bjorn carrier.  Enjoy your time off, your LO will be happy just to have you close by. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • At that age it is easy peasy. My best advice- do things FOR YOU. Baby just mearly tags along. Go to a museum, walk the mall, catch a good flick, read a book for you (i used to ALWAYS read my DD my own books/magazines- she just likes hearing your voice). Baby will be happy to just have you around. Snuggle, relax, sing songs, be silly on the floor.

Don't stress out over 'occupying' baby. At that age it is more about passing the time for you.

As they get older it is all about them- I miss that 'me' time. Now that I have a 2.5yr old (and a newborn) it isn't as easy to catch up on me time at all.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I dread weekends as well.  I thought I was the only one but my DH also works and so it's just DD and I.  I do love the time we have together but if DH was home we would go out and about.  I don't dare take DD out to much by myself right now because she "code red's" on us.  I just run my errands during lunch at work or I wait until DH gets home.  I read a book to her after her morning bottle, then I put her in her excersaucer, bouncer or swing while I do laundry or whatever and talk to her as I am doing this.  It kind of sucks because there is not a lot you can do with them at this age.  Just do what you can. They have to be able to self entertain too.  They like to just watch what's going on around them too just have her wherever you are doing something and talk to LO.  I live in Minnesota and we really can't get out and play much so it sucks.  If this was summertime we would go for a walk the park whatever but winter sucks.  Once they get older to it will be easier to run around with her without her freaking out on us.
  • Mall walk, book stores, visit a friend, go out to lunch...I love these days with dd!
  • imageStacyc625:

At that age it is easy peasy. My best advice- do things FOR YOU. Baby just mearly tags along. Go to a museum, walk the mall, catch a good flick, read a book for you (i used to ALWAYS read my DD my own books/magazines- she just likes hearing your voice). Baby will be happy to just have you around. Snuggle, relax, sing songs, be silly on the floor.

Don't stress out over 'occupying' baby. At that age it is more about passing the time for you.

As they get older it is all about them- I miss that 'me' time. Now that I have a 2.5yr old (and a newborn) it isn't as easy to catch up on me time at all.

This exactly! Have fun and good luck. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"