2nd Trimester

Like a name but can't use it for some ridiculous reason?

I love the name Ella for a girl.  It's a popular name, but that doesn't matter too much.  Everytime I say the name I think of Rhianna's Umbrella song.  That just ruins it for me.

Do you have any names that are out for a ridiculous reason?

Re: Like a name but can't use it for some ridiculous reason?

• Ella Ella Ella Eh Eh Eh..

I love the name Sawyer but I think it's more of a girl name plus a girl I know is due 3 days after me and that's the name she's picked. I'm kinda bummed.

Braydon 1.23.09
    Weston 3.24.11
    EDD 5.26.14
  • I Love Isabelle... DH hates it because he thinks it sounds too much like Jezebel...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Somehow FI and I have dated enough people to rule out half our good names. I can't have a baby Ryan knowing he was my first love, KWIM? lol

• I love the name Rebecca, but because our last name starts with R, DH has vetoed all R names. Confused
    BFP #1 5/1/10, missed mc dx 6/4/10 BFP #2 8/5/10, baby boy arrived 4/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • anything that ends in an -er sound; it just doesn't go with our last name.

So Sawyer, Harper, Oliver, and Edgar, all out.

My husband doesn't "do" Biblical names. So anything like Noah, Ezra, Lilah ... all out.

• I love the name Mason but one of the Kardashians' sisters have a son by that name. I didn't even know that until someone told me. Now I'm upset I can't use it. I don't want my son thinking he was named after a celebrity's baby and I don't even like the kardashians.
  • The only name I can pretty much name my son is Jacob... It's seriously the ONLY name me and  DH could agree on.. I like it but don't love it. So were pretty much both settling for a name we both can agree on because the names I love, he hates and the names he loves, I hate. =/
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like the name "Seth" for a boy but won't use it because it just sounds stupid with our last name.  Our last name is one syllable and ends in "th".
  • You ladies are cracking me up.

I can't use another girl's name I like because it's part of our town's name. 

• imagelabooshki:

Ella Ella Ella Eh Eh Eh..

I love the name Sawyer but I think it's more of a girl name plus a girl I know is due 3 days after me and that's the name she's picked. I'm kinda bummed.

I'm gonna disagree. Sawyer is a very hot man on LOST :) DIRRRTY hot. yummy. :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Boys name I have loved for my entire life + DH's last name = celebrity name. Bah!!!
    Our Little Family Keeps Growing! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edit

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• My favorite girl name is Clara, but my ex has a little girl named Clara. Mind you he now lives in another country, but even my friends and family say "eh, better not use it". Too bad huh?
    Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image11kacey:
    imagelabooshki:

I agree with this.  To me, Sawyer is a boy name.  I LOVE the name Sawyer for a boy (but it sounds horrible with our last name!).  I personally do not like the name Sawyer for a girl.  That's just my opinion though!!!  :) 

imageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Alyssa Ann

Love the name, but I have a cousin named Melissa Ann and she would SWEAR that we named the baby after her.  Thankfully we're having a boy so I didn't have to figure out another name that DH and I agree on for a little girl.

• DH veto'd a name because it was the name of one of his friend's girlfriend in high school and he thought that girl was skanky .  Seriously?  That's getting a bit far removed.
    Baby #2 on the way! BabyFruit Ticker
  • If we have a boy we want to name him Miles and I like a middle name that starts with a N. The problem is our last name starts with an M. I would start to call him my little M 'n' M. So...DH said no N middle names.

Mom of 3 (Ginny 4 yrs old), (Miles 2 yrs old), and (Mason due June 15th) 
  • imagekelly321:

imagebrittney25135:
    The only name I can pretty much name my son is Jacob... It's seriously the ONLY name me and  DH could agree on.. I like it but don't love it. So were pretty much both settling for a name we both can agree on because the names I love, he hates and the names he loves, I hate. =/

Same here, at least for boy names. sigh. So we're waiting for the anatomy scan to see whether we're going to have to figure this out before May or whether it's a girl and we're good for a while longer.

yep, x3.  we finally got some girl names picked out and narrowed down, but he hates my favorite and he doesnt have a favorite. dont even wanna talk about boy names! ugh! he wants to use Ronny, which is his best friend; they've been friends since they were like 5. i love the man like another brother, but i have never liked the name Ronny. we find out the sex thursday, so the name game gets serious after that. lol

• We liked the name Delilah but it sounds too much like my DH's ex wife's youngest (Layla).  Considering we deal with her all the time (due to my DH's kids) I just couldn't take the similarity.

Good thing we're having a boy! 

• I LOVE the name Avery. But DH says it sounds too much like Ovary (dork) and reminds him of Avery labels. 

I liked Taryn, but he said that made him think of "Tear'in it up."

I loved Sophia and actually had DH on board with it until I realized how stupid Sophie (which I'm sure at some point she would be referred to as) sounded with our last name...which starts with an S.  Sounded way to Hannah Montana for me. 

So Megan Victoria it is...nice and traditional. 

• we love the name Clayton, but i absolutely despise the nn Clay.
           I am convinced that coffee is God's gift to mothers.

BabyFruit Ticker       
    **  DD-5.30.11 ** DS-1.15.13 ** #3 EDD - 9.4.14 ** 

• imageBSSnCEB:
    image11kacey:
    imagelabooshki:

I agree with this.  To me, Sawyer is a boy name.  I LOVE the name Sawyer for a boy (but it sounds horrible with our last name!).  I personally do not like the name Sawyer for a girl.  That's just my opinion though!!!  :) 

LOST is one of the reasons that I love that name! Who knows, we may just suck it up and choose it anyway. lol!

Braydon 1.23.09
    Weston 3.24.11
    EDD 5.26.14
  • imagemuddin_lil_sis:
    imagekelly321:

imagebrittney25135:
    The only name I can pretty much name my son is Jacob... It's seriously the ONLY name me and  DH could agree on.. I like it but don't love it. So were pretty much both settling for a name we both can agree on because the names I love, he hates and the names he loves, I hate. =/

Same here, at least for boy names. sigh. So we're waiting for the anatomy scan to see whether we're going to have to figure this out before May or whether it's a girl and we're good for a while longer.

yep, x3.  we finally got some girl names picked out and narrowed down, but he hates my favorite and he doesnt have a favorite. dont even wanna talk about boy names! ugh! he wants to use Ronny, which is his best friend; they've been friends since they were like 5. i love the man like another brother, but i have never liked the name Ronny. we find out the sex thursday, so the name game gets serious after that. lol

Unfortunately ladies, it doesn't get much easier after you know the sex.  At least it didn't for us.  Girls names were a bit easier to agree on from the beginning, but guess what?  It's a boy!!!

We each came up with a top 10 list and not a single name was in common Confused  He nixed mine for the regular ridiculous reasons:  "my old boss had that name, he was a jerk"  "ugh i knew a ___ in school and he threw a ball like a girl"  "my HS girlfriend cheated on me with a ___"   etc.  I hated his mostly becuase they are very common (his name, his brothers name, my dad and bro's name, etc.) and we have a common last name. We now have a list of 2 or 3 that neither of us love, but can't find a ridiculous reason to veto.  Hopefully one of them will grow on us and be perfect for our little man!

• It's a tradition in my family for girls to have Anne as a middle name.  I'd like to continue if we have a girl.  But my last name starts with a D so we have to be careful with initials - could end up with BAD, DAD, FAD, LAD, MAD, PAD, SAD, etc.

I'm somewhat pushing for an R first name if we have a girl so her initials could be RAD.

imageimage image
    DS, May 2011
    DD, April 2014

• DH's big requirement for boy's names is that it has to roll off the tongue well when he introduces himself to women.  If it's not a good pick-up name, it gets vetoed.  On the other hand, DD has been banned from dating, forever.  Yes, it is a double standard.
  • We rejected a lot of each other's names because of associations with other people, but our funnier ones were because of DS's name.

For example, Charlie and Lucy or Charles and Diana.  Somebody pointed out Charlie Rose to me...obscure but still a little weird.  Somebody else said no Charlie and Angela because we would have a Charlie's Angel.  I wasn't really after Rose, Diana, or Angela, but I did get a laugh out of it.  I also adore Charlotte, but oh well!  He was here first!

FWIW I thought we would never land on a name we both loved.  We tossed around a thousand of them and shot them all down.  But finally he came back to a name I had rejected (Miranda, because I don't like Mandy or Randy) and suggested calling her Mira.  I thought it was impossible, but here we are with a name I adore! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • I am so in the same boat.  We quickly picked girls names, and we are having a boy.  I love Sawyer and Hudson, my husband vetoed them both because of Lost and who knows for Hudson.  We both liked Miles, it rhymes with our last name - out.  I bet we decide when we see him!
  • imagepdilly2b:

It's a tradition in my family for girls to have Anne as a middle name.  I'd like to continue if we have a girl.  But my last name starts with a D so we have to be careful with initials - could end up with BAD, DAD, FAD, LAD, MAD, PAD, SAD, etc.

I'm somewhat pushing for an R first name if we have a girl so her initials could be RAD.

My first pick for a girl name was Dixie  Ann. Our last name starts with an M. her initials would be D.A.M.  DH told me very qucikly no. lol   My poor dad's initials are BED and my brother is JED.

• DH liked Chevelle & Spartacus (for middle name). No, I am NOT joking.

So we could never agree on a name. Finally, he suggested Alicia (Alisha), and I said I liked it. And since its the ONLY girl name we could agree on, it stuck. And the more we call her that, the more it grows on me. We just have to pick a spelling.

Now Spartacus I'll have to figure out something with the next baby, if there is one, and its a boy. Oy. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yep, my husband's 2 fav boys names were Jacob and Gabriel but I vetoed them both for nickname reasons.  Not Jacob b/c Jake ends in the same sound as the beginning of our last name, and not Gabriel because I hate Gabe.

I also had a reason for vetoing both Jacob and Gabriel as potential middle names to be used with our chosen 1st name Daniel, because I didn't want my son to be a "DJ", and because Daniel Gabriel sounds stupid.

I also would like to theoretically use Samuel and Joseph for a boy's middle name to honor my 2 grandfathers, but again, Daniel Samuel sounds stupid and Daniel Joseph would be a "DJ" which I hate.

• I can't get DH to understand that his fave doesn't work with our last name! A name ending in th or n will not flow with a last name beginning with th and ending with n! We are down to two names and I'm ready to start all over..we haven't talked about it lately and I think he's just ignoring the situation because we technically have some time.  Poor thing is going to be Baby Girl Th___ when she is born!
  • If we have a boy DH wants the middle name to be Hudson. This would be okay except that Hudson is the company that produced DH's car. Everyone knows DH loves his Hudson (the other woman in our lives), but using it as part of our son's name is just too much for me.

I used to like Isabella for a girls name, but Twilight ruined that for me since I can't stand anything Twilight related.

DD1: May 2011
    DD2: February 2014

• imagethediarywithin:

If we have a boy we want to name him Miles and I like a middle name that starts with a N. The problem is our last name starts with an M. I would start to call him my little M 'n' M. So...DH said no N middle names.

DHs first and last name start with M. he has no middle name. Before DS was even concieved I jokingly said that we should name all our kids names that start with M so that I could refer to my family as my M&Ms. He did not find that one bit amusing and now that we are having kids he has officially banned all names that start with M

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers Anniversary
  • Yea I guess I wasn't think clearly when I named my DD at 3:30 AM. Her initials are ASS. lol
    Photobucket Corrine & Jason
  • This is a great thread because this JUST happened to be this morning.

We found out yesterday we are having a boy. Of course we haven't decided on a name.

I REALLY want Johnathan after my father's name (John)..well HIS father (God rest his soul) his name was Cashmere LOL..So I was like No way..

Then It dawned on me today..How about Johnathan Cash ----(Last name)

Then my friend said...Ummm DUHHH Johnny Cash  Tongue Tied

I'm like YEA that ain't happenin!

• I love Love LOVE the name Morgan for a girl....but never in a million years would I use that because it's his ex-fiance's last name.  Boooooo. 

BSS: your furbabies are freaking adorable!!!!

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageGypsyMomma2009:
    imagethediarywithin:

If we have a boy we want to name him Miles and I like a middle name that starts with a N. The problem is our last name starts with an M. I would start to call him my little M 'n' M. So...DH said no N middle names.

DHs first and last name start with M. he has no middle name. Before DS was even concieved I jokingly said that we should name all our kids names that start with M so that I could refer to my family as my M&Ms. He did not find that one bit amusing and now that we are having kids he has officially banned all names that start with M

Oh no, I like it! 

• I don't know if this is ridiculous or not but DH and I like the name Elise. However, since her nn would be "Ellie" we can't use it because MIL's dog's name is Ellie. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Anniversary
  • imageLegalLadyBug:
    I don't know if this is ridiculous or not but DH and I like the name Elise. However, since her nn would be "Ellie" we can't use it because MIL's dog's name is Ellie. 

I don't think that this is ridiculous at all! One of my all-time favorite girl's names is Chloe.  Which is also the name of my Dad's girlfriend's cat.  So yeah...no Chloe's for us.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imagegrace782:
    I love the name Rebecca, but because our last name starts with R, DH has vetoed all R names. Confused

I'm a Rebecca and my maiden name started with an R (and my sister is a Rachel). I actually really liked it and a lot of people over the years mentioned the alteration being nice. In high school some people called me 'R squared' (like R^2), which was fun.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"