2nd Trimester

Heartbeat reveals gender?

I work with a lot of women who are saying that a higher heart beat (above 155 or so) means you are having a girl and a lower heart beat is a boy.  I was just wondering if any of you have had similar experiences.

Re: Heartbeat reveals gender?

• I had almost believed this because my first had a HR in the 140s/150s and he's a boy. This time baby has had the same HR, so I was positive it was a boy- nope we're definitely having a girl!
  • My acupuncturist swears this is a great way to tell the gender though she did say she was wrong about her guesses (based on pulse) twice. ::shrugs::
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My baby's heartbeat has only been in the 130-140s and it is a girl...so Id say no don't go by that
    Proud Marine Wife and soon to be mommy to a princess!
  • It's not true. DS's HR is pretty much the same as this LO, and it's a girl.
  • Definitely not true. DD1 always had a lower hr and now dd2 always has a hr around 140s-150s.
  • My son had a HR around 155.

This time I'm pregnant with twins. The first few months they both had a HR in  the upper 150's. We found out their genders yesterday...

Girl - HR of 148

Boy - HR of 157

So, in my case, the boys have the higher HR's.

Maria
    After 27 months, 5 IUI's, 3 m/c's, 2 IVF's, 2 FET's (and a partridge in a pear tree) we finally had our baby boy. Our first son was born on Jan. 1, 2009.

Did another round of IVF and our girl/boy twins were born May 12, 2011
  • Then my DS should be a girl...and he clearly isn't.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It is an old wives tale- nothing is 100% until you actually see the body parts. I had a higher heart beat the first time we heard it, but I had caffinee that day, since then I have very little and not the day before the doctors office and it has since went down.

• Baby's heartrates vary throughout the day, so you can't really use it as an indicator of gender. If the baby is very active, the heartrate will be higher at that time. If it's sleeping, it will be lower.
  • They obviously haven't watched the movie "Pregnancy for Dummies".  Figures it's women that would believe nonsense like this. 
  • Nope. If your baby is more active, the HB will be higher
    Our IVF Miracles! Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Old wives tales. My 1st son's hb was always higher and clearly, he's a boy. Now this one is lower so I guess it holds true this time around.

Braydon 1.23.09
    Weston 3.24.11
    EDD 5.26.14
  • My baby was 160 at the NT scan, but 150 at the anatomy scan. I guess he changed teams.
  • HB 140-155 usually and she's a girl!
    "Right beside you is where I belong... from this moment on." imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • One baby was 162 and the other was 158 at my last scan.  Both are boys.
    imageimageimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mine was always above 160 and he's all boy.
  • Not true. Here is a good article that HB correlation is an OWT. I like the light tone and graphics in linked article: https://www.obgyn.net/medical.asp?page=/english/pubs/features/dubose/ehr-age

That said, here you go...

HB=110 6w
    HB=135 7w
    HB=165 9w
    HB=158  12w
    HB with home doppler & at dr.= 136-160 14w+
    We are having a boy.

• Our LO's heartbeat was high, around 160-170 and LO is a boy not a girl.
  • 7w4d - 158 BPM

14w5d - 160 BPM

18w2d - 157 BPM

Everyone thought we were having a girl, based on the old wives' tale. 

We're thrilled to be expecting a boy!

• The opposite was true for me. My first pregnancy baby had a higher heartbeat and I had a boy, this time around baby has a slow heartbeat and it's a girl.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I dunno! Some swear by it and others think its a load of crap. This is my first pregnancy and the baby's HR has been btwn 160-170. Me and everyone else who knows im pregnant think its a girl. So i guess i'll just have to wait and see.

• My daughter's HB was consistently in the 150s, so I did believe it...until my second had a heartbeat even higher (in the low 160s) and he's all boy.
    Dear Bump: You suck.
  • It was true for my daughter hers was 170 ish the whole time. This baby has been anywhere from 170 to 135. so idk.. The doctor said there is no truth to it.
  • My boys had heartrates that I don't believe ever went lower than 160 or so. This baby girl we're having though has always been consistently lower than my 2 boys were.

So, it's opposite for me!  All the other old wives tales seem to be opposite for my pregnancies as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Of course it does.  50% of the time.
  • Both my boys have had HBs regularly in the 160s.

imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• both my boys were always 140/150 hb.

This baby was 120 at 8 weeks, 180 at 12 weeks and 121 at 16 weeks. So we'll see!

• imageodear:
    Of course it does.  50% of the time.

That is what our Dr told us.  Our heart rate was 160 at 14 weeks.  

• I had heard boys are higher.  My mom said the nurse practitioner that she went to for all my brothers and I would guess based on that and was right every time.  When I first went in, the nurse practitioner at my doctor was suprised at how high the heart rate was and predicted a boy also - and that's what were having!

• Not true for me.  8 week heartbeat was 169, and I am having a boy.  Since that appointment it has slowed down.  Now he is around 150 and I am 25 weeks pregnant.
  • I found this on a medical website: 

In reality, fetal heart rate changes all the time during a pregnancy, influenced most by the baby's age and how they move -- but not by the gender," says Lisa Bartholomew, MD, an expert in maternal-fetal medicine at Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. Indeed, Bartholomew tells WebMD that the average fetal heart rate during mid-pregnancy can range from 120 to 160 beats per minute, for both boys and girls.

• Just went to the doctor today and HB is 132, and I am having a girl. I don't really think this is true. 

I also have all the symptons of having a boy- carrying lower, carrying all my weight out front, all the cravings and skin chagnes and everything, but she is definately a girl! I think the only way to know for sure is to wait for the US, and even then it is a gamble!

• This is completely untrue. I am pregnant with my second child and I just had my first ultrasound done yesterday and they let us listen to the heart beat and it was 145. We also found out that I am pregnant with a girl. It was the same with mt first pregancy. I have a two year old son and when I was pregnant with him his heart rate was around 145-150. It is just one of those old wise tales.
  • I had more of the opposite. lol. When I have gone to the doctor my baby's heartbeat has been at least 155 and they always said that was fast. And he's definetly a boy, so maybe sometimes that works, not for me I guess. lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"