January 2011 Moms

Had my little boy! (very long & PIP)

So I know my due date was Jan. 4, but apparentally no one told baby Jackson!

Friday, December 17 I woke up at about 7:30 feeling like I had fluid leaking. It didn't feel like much, maybe just increased discharge, while I was laying down but when I stood up and got out of bed it felt a little heavier. I realized my underwear was soaked and pj pants were wet. I honestly didn't know whether I'd peed myself or if it was amniotic fluid. I woke DH up by saying "I really hate to wake you up this way and this is really embarassing but, does this smell like pee to you?" and I handed him my underwear. For those who were wondering, the fluid smelled to me like what it smells like when you have your period. He agreed that it was not pee and his eyes got as big as saucers.

He rushed downstairs to install the car seat because that had been on our list of things we wanted to do that weekend. Opps! I called my parents, who were on Colorado skiing, and DH's parents to let them know what was going on and my mom started trying to get a flight here to be here for the big event. I tried to eat something, but I was really too excited to eat. I wish I had eaten more though because they don't let you eat anything once you get to the hospital. I was leaking too much fluid for a panty liner to be at all effective and I didn't have any pads, so I actually put a newborn size diaper in my underwear for the ride to the hospital.

We got to the hospital at around 9:30 and they did several tests. The diaper I was using was filled up by the time we got there. They confirmed that my water had broken and said I was 100% effaced, but only 2 cm dilated. At this point I really wasn't having productive contractions. I was barely feeling any of them. They admitted me around 10:00 am and put me on pitocin, because they said that if I was planning on having an epi anyway (which I always have been) then it was the best way to help me progress. They also put me on Penicillin because I was positive for Group B Strep.

Every half hour they increased my dosage of Pitocin, so after an hour and a half I said I was ready to get my epi. Unfortunately it was another hour before the anesthesologist got to me (at 2:30), and by that time I was really in pain. The contractions were about a minute apart and really intense. I was sweating and shaking by the time the guy got there. Then he kept telling me that I needed to hunch over and hold totally still...not easy during painful contractions. But with a nurse helping to hold me in place I got my epi and felt great afterward!

I was 4 cm when they put in the epi, and when they checked me again at around 6:00 pm I was 9 cm and the baby was at station +2. They sat me upright in bed to get the baby's head down further and said it would probably only be another hour or so before we were ready to push. I was really watching the clock to see if my mom could get there before we pushed. At 8:00 they said it was time to push and I was still feeling no pain. I could feel the pressure from the contractions, but no pain at all. My mom walked straight from the airport at 8:05 and I had just started pushing.

I wasn't making much progress on my back, so they actually turned me on my side to push, and that was a lot easier for me. I pushed for 1 hour and 15 min and baby Jackson was born at 9:15 pm!

He was 37 weeks 3 days and he weighed in at 7 lb 11 oz and 22 inches long. He is quite a tall, chunky little guy for an early arrival. We were in the hospital for just over 24 hours and are now enjoying being home with our little Christmas baby.

imageimageimage
                                 **DS 12/17/10** **#2 Due 2/14/15**

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Had my little boy! (very long & PIP)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"