July 2011 Moms

Out of breath walking up stairs?

The past few weeks, I've been getting out of breath and my heart is pounding when I walk upstairs in our house.  Anybody else experiencing this?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Out of breath walking up stairs?

• Yes and, while I was no marathoner pre-pregnancy, it's embarrassing!  I'm hoping it's just part of the first tri exhaustion and nothing more.
  • ::raises hand:: I've also noticed if I'm talking quite a bit I get pretty winded! Me and one of my best friends (who is also pregnant) were talking this weekend and we kept having to pause to catch our breath! haha!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes! DH and I have been walking at lunch time, and usually after the first three minutes I'm out of breath, seems to get better the more we walk, but the begining kills me
  • Ooo. I was having a huge problem with this, and still do at times. I have to go VERY VERY slow up the stairs or down them. And we have a three story house lol.

Out of curiousity do you have problems with asthma or allergies? B/c that makes it worse I think.

<3 DCRider
    Baby girl due 1/22/14!

• Yes... early on I had this same problem... I could barely talk to people while walking! I asked my DR. who informed me that it is because our heartbeat increases during the early weeks (sometimes even doubles) in order to get blood to the LO! Until you get used to this new fast heartbeat you'll feel the huffing and puffing!
  • I feel like I am out of breath just sitting here!
  • Luckily no asthma or allergies, or this would probably be even worse!  And just like some of you said, I get out of breath walking, too, which is hard cause I'm used to walking pretty quickly, so I've got to slow myself down.  And I even got out of breath talking on the phone last night, I couldn't believe it!
  • I have had the same thing! Went for a walk and though OMG i didnt know i could be this outa shape this fast! wow. Hills are tough! So not alone!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagetheluckiestduo:
    Yes... early on I had this same problem... I could barely talk to people while walking! I asked my DR. who informed me that it is because our heartbeat increases during the early weeks (sometimes even doubles) in order to get blood to the LO! Until you get used to this new fast heartbeat you'll feel the huffing and puffing!

Thank goodness! I thought I had just fallen out of shape rapidly!  lol.  I get out of breath walking from my vehicle into my office with my bags.  I am so embarrassed when I walk in practically panting and struggling to say, "Good Morning."  

• imagetheluckiestduo:
    Yes... early on I had this same problem... I could barely talk to people while walking! I asked my DR. who informed me that it is because our heartbeat increases during the early weeks (sometimes even doubles) in order to get blood to the LO! Until you get used to this new fast heartbeat you'll feel the huffing and puffing!

Good to know! I thought I was just really really out of shape already from sitting on the couch nursing my nausea all the time. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers pregnancy calendar
  • yes I experience this
  • Yes! I work on the third floor of an old building (with extra tall floors) and take the stairs every day. I don't know how I'll haul myself up there every day when I'm huge.
    image image
    D: Born 7.14.11
    Baby #2: BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
    O: Born 3.2.14 (med-free!)
  • Really glad to hear you are all experiencing this too! I figured it was from the pregnancy since it's so sudden, but it's also pretty embarrassing!

BFP #1: 10/2011, Pre-eclampsia in last 6 weeks, emergency C-section, DD born 6/25/11

BFP #2: 8/16/14, Ectopic Pregnancy & Methotrexate Inj. 9/5/14, Adverse MTX reaction, HCG levels down after 2 weeks

BFP #3: 2/23/2016, EDD 10/28/2016

• Yes and it makes me feel awful.  I ran a friggin half marathon in September and another 10+ mile race in October.  I was in the best shape of my life when I got pregnant and now, a 2-3 mile walk wears me out.  The stairs = devil.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"