December 2010 Moms

BFing-1 side or both per feeding?

I usually feed Carson on both sides during the day (he is also a really slllloooww eater) but at night I only feed him on one side bc we are both ready to go back to sleep at night. My milk just came in yesterday but I just don't want to eff my supply by not draining both boobs at each session. So how do you feed?
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: BFing-1 side or both per feeding?

• I use one side per feed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I like to try to do both sides per feeding, but it doesn't usually/always happpen.  Before my milk came in, she always ate on both sides, but as soon as it came in (which happened really fast for me) she started falling asleep after one side and sometimes showing no interest in the 2nd side.  Sometimes if she's dropping off I'll unlatch her and force her to burp and switch sides, just so my boobs are a little happier.

I've also noticed that the feedings are getting a little shorter since the milk came in, I hope this is just because she's getting more, and not because I'm getting tired/lazy.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm doing both because I'm engorged and I need the relief.  Before that I would sometimes only do 1 side.  They told us in my BF class to let them nurse on 1 side until they were content, burp them and offer them the other side.  If they don't take it to just start with that breast the next time.  Basically they didn't want us pulling the baby off the breast before they were done.

imageimageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I offer both sides but in the past  two days she has started refusing the second. I think it's fine.
  • I wish he would take both but it is almost always just one.  I have a lot of milk so have to pump the other side each time which can get irritating but at least I'm building a good daycare supply already.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLovesMM:
    I use one side per feed.

This, we just switch sides each feed.

• We start wtih one, and if she's really going to town and has a good feed on the first side, I'll offer the second side. But I'm careful that she's having a good feed from one side, after a a few green poops, I'm worried about her getting too much hind milk....
    Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
  • I give him both each time.. he is constantly falling asleep at feedings and switching back and forth seems to help keep him awake.  I end up pumping after every other feeding tho, and I pump both breasts.

oh and I can never remember which breast I've done first or last each time so I just start with whichever "feels" like it needs more relief.

• I'm giving her one side per feeding, and just switching sides once every two feedings.  Sorry, that sounds confusing... two straight feeds on one side.  If she is still hungry after I burp her, I put her back on the same side.  Our LC recommended that approach because of oversupply issues.  I just pump to comfort on the other side if I get engorged.
      norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I offer the second side. Sometimes he takes it but usually he just wants one.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I offer both sides but he usually only uses one. I just alternate which side I start on. So if he does take the second side, the next feed he will be starting on the side that je had finished on. I don't wake him to feed so I do end up pumping every now and then to relieve engorgment and always pump both sides.
  • I would feed C 10-15 minutes on each side. Sometimes he refused the second side, but most times he took both. He was always a god eater from the beginning. 

This time I am planning on doing the same and also pumping after every feeding to make sure I have a good supply going. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"