Natural Birth

Birthing Methods

I am planning a natural water birth at a birth center, really excited :) I have already started researching hypnobabies and the bradley method.  I've also researched hypnobirthing, but I'm not as interested in that program. But I want to be informed. Does anyone know of any similar programs that I can look into? I want to make sure I pick the best method for my birthing experience. Anything you've heard of would be helpful, thanks :)

Re: Birthing Methods

• i've studied bradley (baby 1) and hypnobirthing (baby 2) and i'm currently studying to be a hypnobirthing instructor. i found bradley was great for first time parents in terms of childbirth eductation, but i found my class not as rich in actual relaxation and breathing techniques that were essential during my labors. i found hypnobirthing to provide that set of techniques that bradley was missing. however, hypnobirthing does not provide the same level of childbirth education from a physiological perspective.

i've heard a lot of good things about www.birthworks.org.

curious...why are you interested in hypnobabies, but not hypnobirth? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know you said you are not interested in hypnobirthing, but I LOVED it!  I was never even tempted to have an epi, or any kind of pain medication.  I am meeting up with our former teacher and classmates tonight, there were four couples total in the class and we all went med-free.  

I know someone who went med-free with Bradley and was happy with that program as well.   

• Loading the player...
  • I've heard from people who have taken hypnobirthing classes and they said that they were told how to do the techniques, but not really taught how to actually implement them.  So they had a hard time implementing them during child birth. Do you find this to be true? Or do you think it may have been more the exception to how most people learn the program?
  • i would actually find that to be more the case with hypnobabies, not hypnobirthing. in hypnobabies, you get CDs and manuals, so you are told how to do the techniques. it's usually a homestudy, self-taught class. in hypnobirth, some of the techniques are different, but you have an instructor who leads you in the exercises as well as does hypnosis sessions during class. not only do you learn how to do the exercises, you do them in class so that you are assured you are doing them properly. this is how my class was taught, it's how i teach my own classes and it's how i've heard others describe their class. 

not to knock hypnobabies at all, i've heard wonderful things about it, but regardless of what class you take, you can't put a value on face-to-face instruction!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Here are some different options for studying hypnosis for birth.

https://www.pregnancybirthandbabies.com/options.htm

Sheridan

• imagenavygirl90:
    I've heard from people who have taken hypnobirthing classes and they said that they were told how to do the techniques, but not really taught how to actually implement them.  So they had a hard time implementing them during child birth. Do you find this to be true? Or do you think it may have been more the exception to how most people learn the program?

This wasn't my experience.  Every class we practiced the techniques we were learning.  You also have to be willing to practice at home, you won't get much out of it if you just go to the classes.  I'm not sure how much time I spent practicing, but it was definitely several hours a week.  I didn't have any problem implementing the techniques once labor started.  There were plenty of things I never used, but that's part of labor is figuring out what works for you.   

• Thank you all for your suggestions! This helps a lot! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"