3rd Trimester
Options

Breech- Talk to me about aversions

Gavin has been breech since our 20 week u/s and is being stubborn.  I will go Friday to see if he is still breech and if so I will *try* to have him turned after Christmas (37 weeks).  Anyone had an aversion?  If so, tell me about your experience....just curious! 

TIA :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Breech- Talk to me about aversions

• Options
    I believe it's called a version, rather than aversion.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had a version on Friday. It wasn't successful, but that's probably due to my funky ribcage, the success rate is pretty high especially for 2nd+ time moms.

It hurt but wasn't unbearable by any means- I just needed some deep breathing and H's hand to hold. It really varies from person to person how long it takes, how much it hurts, etc according to body type, baby's position, fluid level, etc. I would do it again in a heartbeat (I would do just about anything to avoid a c-section though...)

The terbutaline they gave me to relax my uterus made me feel kinda rough (racing heart, shaky, etc) but that went away pretty soon after. I stayed on the monitor for an hour and a half after the version to make sure LO handled it ok, then was told to take it easy for a few days after.

Hope he turns on his own before then!! If not, good luck with the version =)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a version with my first at 37 weeks.  It was successful and not too painful.  This baby was breech, flipped head down on her own sometime around week 36, but was then transverse at almost 39 weeks.  The doctor moved her head down at my appointment, but her foot got stuck by her face.  After several very painful attempts, he ended up leaving it and said that she will hopefully move it on her own.  
  • Options

How ironic, I just had one done today.  My experience was a little different than the PP's.  It hurt a lot!!!  No kidding, I didn't know what to expect.  The DR. tried 3x to get her to move and she wouldn't budge.  As a matter of fact she pushed back at him.  I would do it again if I had to but I really thought  the whole thing sucked.  Good Luck to you.  I hope the baby flips and that you don't have to go through this. 

• Options
    imagehonkytonk_kid:

The terbutaline they gave me to relax my uterus made me feel kinda rough (racing heart, shaky, etc) but that went away pretty soon after. I stayed on the monitor for an hour and a half after the version to make sure LO handled it ok, then was told to take it easy for a few days after.

I had one at 38 weeks with my first pregnancy. I do believe it's called an external version.

My experience with terbutaline was similar to above, not pleasant. The procedure itself was very painful and barbaric for my DH to watch. I read about it before hand; but, didn't realize the real risk until I got there. I had two docs, 3 residents and 2 nurses in the room. Before they started, one of the ob's called the OR to give them a "heads up" that we were starting. When I asked why he did that, he said it's their practice to have an OR waiting incase the baby needs to come out. That scared the crap out of me.

My version was not successful. I had a c-section. This baby is breech, I can just tell by the kicks and movement, and I'm very nervous he will remain breech, as I was hoping for a VBAC. However, I WILL NOT do a version ever again. I want a VBAC more than anything and did not have a good c-section experience; but, I'm just not willing to try that again.

Good luck!

• Options

If my LO doesn't flip by Friday I'll be getting an external version...I've researched the heck out of it and yes there are risks but they are VERY rare and no more then the risks of a c-section.

My Dr's done them for 35 years and never once had anything go wrong so that made me feel better and he said a majority of the versions he does last maybe 30 seconds to a minute...he will try for 2-3 minutes tops before he stops.  He feels if the baby doesn't want to move he's not going to force it.

They do prep for a c-section just in case but the baby is monitored the entire time and for some time after.  I was told I would go in for an u/s to find her position, my fluid levels, placenta and cord location and if all is good I'll go to L&D and the baby will be moniotred for a short time then I'll be given the shot (I've had it before b/c of contractions) yeah it makes your heart race but it wasn't too bad.  Then the Dr will come in do his thing for a few minutes and then you'll be monitored after.

I've gone back and forth with if I'd do it or not but in the end I realized yeah it might suck and hurt a little but it can't be any worse then a c-section and it's recovery

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"