Babies: 0 - 3 Months

XP- BF question about rooting

I posted this on the BF board but this one is a bit more active...

DS roots often- not just for nursing but for his pacifier too (I recently discovered). This is SUCH a dumb question- but is it weird that he roots when other people hold him? Shouldn't he know I have the food and my smell by now?

Sorry this is so dumb...but the research I read said that babies know their mother's scent by 1 month and will turn away from other women's breast pads in favor of their own mother's and so this made me think maybe he doesn't know the difference?

Huh?

Re: XP- BF question about rooting

• At six months old, B has moved beyond rooting.  She now grabs boobs, pulls shirts--and if she's being cradled a certain way, she even turns her head towards the boob, opens her mouth, and sticks out her tongue.  Regardless of whether or not I'm the one holding her.

So to me, your DS's rooting on others doesn't seem so weird! 

• nattie would try to latch on to anyone!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • LO latches on to DH's hairy arms if he's holding her but she's only a month old.

I saw the cutest picture in a magazine once of a little 2 yo boy trying to suckle a bust at a museum that had nice perky nips..so to answer your question I know they can smell the milk and know your scent but they'll take anything they can get!

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Crosby tries to latch on to DH shoulder if he is holding him and hungry. He also turns his head if he hungry and makes a sucking sound. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageomfg_itsbridemary:
    Here.  Feel better.image

This is the picture I was talking about. I think it was from Mothering magazine!

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • imageSnoopyLuv:

imageomfg_itsbridemary:
    Here.  Feel better.image

This is the picture I was talking about. I think it was from Mothering magazine!

I am dying LOL at this. Ahhh. 

And my LO has that same striped reindeer outfit! 

• See, then it's the outfit's fault!

My favorite part about this picture is the boy's faces in the pictures.  He goes from totally focused on the statues mammaries to trying to make eye contact with it while nursing.  And in reply to your OP, when you're referencing the study that talks about babies turning from other women's breastpads in favor of their mother's- it's an either-or question for the baby.  In that study, the babies were choosing their mother's scent over a random woman's.  Your LO is choosing any nipple or nipple like object that presents itself to his mouth (my DS will root towards my finger, his dad's finger, bascially anything that gets near the corner of his mouth).  I bet that if you presented him with your nipple and a pacifier, he would go for the nipple.  I am positive that he knows you and your scent, and given the choice, would show preference.

• DS will start rooting on my dad!

basically it's there way of saying HEY I want to suck! and don't care who they are  being held by. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"