Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Which "new mom" hospital gift would you want?

My sister is being induced tonight--her first baby (a boy) and her DH has two boys who, unfortunately, live across the country with their mom and won't be there. I'm wondering what to bring after the baby's born... 1) comfy nursing-friendly pajama set 2) snack/necessity basket 3) something else? The hospital provides a candlelight celebration dinner for the new parents, with sparkling cider. What would you have wanted?

Re: Which "new mom" hospital gift would you want?

• Options

I vote #2.  I loved it when people brought food.  Esp loved it when my FIL brought me Starbucks the next morning :)

My Bio
    Blog
    Miles Alister. 9.17.2007. 8# 6oz 21.5inches
    Isla Penelope. 10.21.2010. 8# 3oz 21 inches
    2 Months 11# 6oz 23.5 inches
    4 Months 13# 6oz 25 inches
    6 Months 14# 15oz 27 inches
    9 Months 17# 10oz 28 inches
    12 Months 19# 10oz 28.75 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry about the lack of paragraphing...I'm on DH's iPad!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If someone had showed up with a pumpkin pie blizzard I wouldve passed DS to them and sucked that puppy down.  But really, any gift would be appreciated Im sure.  Thats very thoughtful of you :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    food!!! i would make them a basket of their fav stuff with magazines, candy, chips.. stuff like that. hospital food is not good.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, my sister raved about pumpkin pie Blizzards a few weeks ago! Thanks for the idea!
  • Options
    If she is BF she will be starving, I vote food. The night I had my DS I ate a whle box of granola bars because it was all I had in my room lol. I couldn't wait until daylight hours when I could sent DH for food!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am literally sitting in my hospital right now and DEFINITELY number 2! I have eaten every single thing the hospital has provided me, PLUS snacks and meals whenever DH goes out to get something!
  • Options
    Eh, I'm going to have to disagree about the food because I had no appetite after I had DD for about two weeks but that's just from my experience. I would say the nursing friendly pajamas would be a good idea. I spent so much money on nursing friendly stuff (tanks,boppy, bras) after I had DD because it was so much more convenient for me so I'm sure she will appreciate that very much. 
    Sometimes it's okay to follow. (Picture is a clicky)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I'd want PJ's too. Everyone who came to visit brought me food, and I was stuck in my ratty old sweat pants.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I would vote #1 just bc they are already having a dinner planned.  Though food is great too - I had two meals right afterward I was starving!
  • Options
    All I wanted was french fries.
  • Options
    I would definitely go with the pajamas. It sucks to get home from the hospital and realize you have nothing practical to BF in, especially in the middle of the night.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Honestly I wish people would have waited until I was home to give us gifts. We had so much stuff to cart home from the hospital. By default I guess I'd go with snacks that she can eat in the hospital and not have to take home.

ETA: My fave in-hospital mom gift was when my sis brought me pumpkin pie. I am a total sweet-tooth, so having a super indulgent treat like pie or a milkshake or something else I couldn't get at the hospital was great.

• Options
    I vote 2.  I wound up being a c-section, so I was in the hospital longer, and the food got old fast.  When I got home, there wasn't (and still isn't) the time to do stuff like eat regular meals most of the time.  A snack basket would have been awesome, especially if it had stuff I could graze on during the day (not just candy, but also crackers, dried fruit, etc).  Of course, if your sister is really into PJ's, that might be a better gift.  My DS is about a month and a half old now, and I spend most of my time topless still.  I don't know that having more or comfier nursing supplies would change that because I'm a slave to convenience.  Ultimately, you know your sister best, so your judgement is probably going to be better than the Internet's.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"