3rd Trimester

Push Present ?

Hey girls, I'm coming over from 9-12 to ask a question.  My coworker's wife is pregnant and mentioned  a push present to him.  Since I recently had a baby he asked me what a push present involves.  I didn't get one (didn't want one) so I don't really know what to tell him so here I am to ask advice.  He's pretty sure she's wanting a piece of jewelry, but he would rather get her something thoughtful/sentimental.  During my tri days I remember something about mommy jewelry that wasn't really expensive...does anyone have that website?  Or is there something else you would suggest?  TIA! :)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageBabyFruit Ticker

Re: Push Present ?

• To me a push present is ridiculous.  For the wife to mention one is even more ridiculous.  She's just looking for presents. 

I believe the baby-shower board police call that "gift-grabby". 

What does she need a present for?   I wouldn't buy someone jewelry for completing a natural function of life.  He can get her flowers or something.  Whatever he considers thoughtful or sentimental... heck, I'd be happy with a trip to the nail salon, since I can't seem to fit that in these days.  

But more than that, I'm happy with a healthy new baby. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I personally don't get the point of PP's
    TTC#1 Chart
    TTC#2 Chart
    IUI #1 - #4 (repronex trigger) = BFN
    IUI#5 on 10/28/2008 ** BFP 11/10/08 ** EDD 07/21/09 *** It's a GIRL (07/14/09) AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    med/treatment free BFP 06/28/10. EDD 03/05/11 *** GIRL #2 (02/23/11)
    beta#1 @ 17dpo = 1296 .... beta#2 @ 19dpo = 3034
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    it's the Bug and Baby Belle!
  • Loading the player...
  • I think a push present is sweet. As long as it's reasonable. I wanted something useful, not diva-y.  So DH got me a sewing machine.  I'm now working on quilts for SD and LO!  I loved it.  I got it early on, like very end of 1st tri, when I was feeling really crappy all the time, so it was a nice touch.

But I kind of agree that woman is tacky... I don't ASK for presents, MH just gets them for me. :)

• Believe me, I'm with you girls, which is why I am asking what someone who wants a push present would want!  Cause I don't know!  lol 

Personally, I was very happy to have received (or bought myself) all the baby gear/clothes/etc that I wanted.  And like you said, you're getting a baby out of the deal, which is the best part!  We didn't have the means to have gotten something like a push present, but my coworker definitely does.  And he wants to be thoughtful and sensitive to what his wife wants (she really is a sweet person.)  So I thought I'd help him out and try to find a few ideas.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageBabyFruit Ticker
  • If they have $$ then it is probably quite common in their circle to do push presents.  Push presents are kind of common around my area but we don't have the $$ for extravagance and I told my BF that (although an engagement ring would kind of kick azz LMAO)

Tell him to check redenvelope.com they have a lot of "family" jewelry or look into something like a pandora bracelet or something that can be added to for different holidays and events.

Allison Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If DH thought to get me a push present on his own then I would think it was really sweet, but I would never expect or hint for one. 

All judgment aside I do have some recommendations -

The 'Loving Family' line of necklaces are really sweet IMO, and inexpensive.

For one child. They have necklaces with more children, just search amazon.com

With birthstones inside. I like this one if they plan to have more kids. It comes with one of each birthstone, I believe.

Another birthstone option but you have to tell them in advance what birthstone you want.

• DH's friend told him that he HAD to get me a present when I had the baby. I guess his wife demanded one. She wanted a TV for their bedroom. I was very surprised because I knew nothing about all that - DH gave me earrings with DD's birthstone in them. while we were in the hospital 

I've currently lost one and I'm really torn up about it.

I think it's a sweet way to commemorate a milestone - it doesn't have to be extravagant, but I don't think people should be demanding them either.

• To demand a push present is being selfish/a diva.  If a husband voluntarily on his own comes up with the idea and buys his wife a present for giving birth, then that's sweet.  I wouldn't expect one from DH. 
    2nd ectopic resulted in loss of tube. HSG revealed remaining tube is "severely torqued".
    IVF #1: ER 03/29/10; ET 04/01/10: transferred 2 embies; Beta #1 (9dp3dt)- 45; Beta #2 (11dp3dt)- 91= BFP
    FET#1: ET 04/18/12: transferred 4 embies; Beta #1: >2 = BFN
    IVF #2: ER 06/20/12; ET 6/25/12: transferred 2 embies; Beta #1 on 7/5/12= BFN
    8/16: hysteroscopy for polyp removal
    11/11: hysteroscopy #2 for yet another polyp removal
    FET#2: ET 12/15/12: transferred 3 embies; Beta #1 (9dp5dt): 12/24/12: 426; Beta #2 (11dp5dt): 845= BFP
    u/s 1/9= triplets!; miscarried all three on 1/10/13...

• I think it's a sweet idea to get something sentimental.  As many of the other mom's mention, a piece of jewelry with the baby's birthstone is a nice idea.  I don't see anything wrong with something like that.

But someone demanding a present......hmmm.  She probably gives him a list of what she wants for her birthday and/or Christmas & suggest he stick just to it as well.   Pushy people are pushy people regardless.....but i think the idea of something from the husband to recognize all the hard work the woman went thru is nice.

Having said that I did NOT get a push prize for #1 and am not expecting anything for #2.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I don't know if DH will be getting me a push present. I hadn't even heard of them until recently. If he did get me something a pc of jewelry with baby's birthstone would be very sentimental to me. On the same note - I have purchased a little gift to give DH in the hospital after I deliver. I look at it as a new daddy gift, aside from the baby. I got him a Willow Tree new dad figurine. Might be a little cheesy from his perspective but I thought it would be nice and also a way to say thanks for putting up with SO much these last 9 months (putting on my socks, gym shoes, helping me get out of bed, rubbing my feet, etc.)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I really wanted something with the baby's birthstone, but I wasn't about to ask for it and I woudn't expect my DH to think of something like that on his own. Then one day I wasat khols and the had a 300 dollar neckace for 70% off... SCORE! I actually bought my own push present- talk about tacky. 

Anyway another idea might be something spa/beauty related,I know I a feeling pretty unattractive these days and would love to be able to get out and get a guilt free mani/ pedi after the baby comes. 

ETA: please excuse my spelling/ missing letters, I have a feeling DH spilled something on my key board recently!  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My H decided he wanted to do this and is getting me some sort of jewelry with LO's birthstone.

Pretty much every jewelry store carries birthstone items. There's also a variety of more modern mom/baby items that I saw recently on Red Envelope.

• Well I had heard of these before my first and told DH about them. We both agreed it was rather silly.  We didn't do anything like that for DD but shortly after her birthday for our anniversary, DH bought me a Tiffany necklace with DD's initial on it. I wear it everyday. I plan on getting another one with DD#2's initial on it and wear them both everyday, I suppose he can do it as a push gift, or maybe just a Valentines present since it'll be so close. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH is getting me these stackable birthstone rings for Christmas - one for each of my 2 kids and one spacer.  I really like them and don't think they're as "old-fashioned" as traditional mother's rings.

https://www.favoritejewelry.com/Stack-Rings-Birthstone/stack_rings.htm

• This is the first I have ever heard of such tom foolery. Seriously? Here's you push present, it's called a hopefully healthy baby!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I hate the term, but I love the idea.

I think it's sweet if he gets it on his own. If you have to ask, or demand that it's a certain thing or pricey - then it kind of sucks the special out of it.

OP - to your co worker I would suggest a birthstone pendant or something similar.

• imageEmjayTheHunted:

To me a push present is ridiculous.  For the wife to mention one is even more ridiculous.  She's just looking for presents. 

This. Isn't her baby a present enough?????  Confused

Keeping my fingers crossed for my BFP Buddy STL34!!! CafeMom Tickers
  • imagelaurasusan:

I'm not a huge fan of the push present either, but my friend's husband got her a ring with the baby's birthstone, and I thought that was sweet.  They have a pretty good selection of birthstone jewelry at lots of price ranges at almost any jewelry store.

That would also seem to meet your friends wishlist of both sentiment and jewelry, too. :)

This or maybe a necklace..

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"