3rd Trimester
Options

Update: 36/37 week Ultrasound shows breech....

I went back to the DR. yesterday, not really my appointment but I was there and DR. wanted to see what was going on with baby.  He had an X-Ray taken to see if she is still Breech... she is.  It was weird seeing her sitting there with her legs straight up like she is doing stretches.  I am waiting for a call from the Dr. to see if there is an OB/GYN that will do a version.  Last night I started doing some of the exercises recommended for helping baby flip.  So far, do diff.  I was supposed to go in today for my weekly appointment.  I'm not sure if they still have me on the schedule so I am going to call today and see.  I asked my Dr. about delivering vaginally for a breech and he said he wouldn't let me.  So, now I have questions about when we would do the C-section if the baby doesn't flip.  I assumed I would be able to ask him next week but when to scheduling they said he is going to be gone next week.  I have to see a different Dr. from the practice and he won't be able to tell me *** about when the C-Section will be.  I am so frustrated.  I want to be able to plan and get things set for when I am going to be in the hospital.  I am hoping when I call the DR. will get back to me and give me a rough idea of when this will all be happening. 

Thanks for letting me share.

Re: Update: 36/37 week Ultrasound shows breech....

• Options
    I am amazed that the Dr. had to do an xray to determine if the baby is breech. I could feel how DD was lying, tell her butt from her head and where her feet were. So could my midwife. This sucks! I hope you get some time before they attempt a version. Could you see a midwife or someone to help with alternatives?
  • Options
    I am sorry for the news. My baby is transverse, so I feel your pain. Why did they do an x-ray, not an ultrasound? That is very surprising. As for scheduling the c-section, if you are highly motivated to still have a vaginal birth, have you considered NOT scheduling one? As long as you have no complications, time can only be your friend since babies can flip at any time. Also, depending on your motivation level you can also look into accupuncture and chiropractic care. We are doing all of the above and working in the version next week, but if none of that works and baby doesn't go into distress from the version we plan to let him stay in as long as possible in hopes that he'll do his thing on his own.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageeisenberg0814:
    I am amazed that the Dr. had to do an xray to determine if the baby is breech. I could feel how DD was lying, tell her butt from her head and where her feet were. So could my midwife. This sucks! I hope you get some time before they attempt a version. Could you see a midwife or someone to help with alternatives?

How can you tell? What should I look for? Even my dumbo doctor can't tell, he usually does a positioning ultrasound. Why am I giving my money to this guy? I get hiccups below my belly button, and kicks in my upper right side, just below my right boob. But she curls up into a ball at nights, so I have no idea what that means in terms of positioning.

• Options
    imagemishu917:

imageeisenberg0814:

How can you tell? What should I look for? Even my dumbo doctor can't tell, he usually does a positioning ultrasound. Why am I giving my money to this guy? I get hiccups below my belly button, and kicks in my upper right side, just below my right boob. But she curls up into a ball at nights, so I have no idea what that means in terms of positioning.

My doctor told me that there is no FOR SURE way of determining if your baby is breech without an ultra sound.  When I was pregnant with DD, my doctor figured she was breech by feeling on my stomach, but she made me get an ultra sound to confirm it.  She was indeed breech at the time, but thankfully, my little one turned during my 37th week, so I was still able to have a vaginal birth.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

We did an X-ray because the ultrasound tech had already gone home for the day.  As I stated before my dr wont do one for a breech baby.  I have trusted through two other pregnancies and deliveries and will continue to trust what he thinks is best.  When I found out the baby was breech I did a lot of research on the subject.  Most of the stuff I read seemed to agree with things I have read on the posts here.  Some of it was different though. 

Even if was highly motivated to have a vaginal birth with a breech baby doesn't seem to be the point.  It is not my choice.  I don't think being highly motivated will change my dr's mind or make the baby flip.  I trust that my dr is doing what he thinks is best for me and baby. 

Some of the other research was less rainbows and glitter.   Breech babies are at a higher risk for complications.  I know that we don't get told this stuff but I believe firmly that if this puts my baby at risk for other problems I would rather err on the side of caution.  Sure, there are babies that will and do flip during active labor but the chances of that happening are pretty slim from what I have read.  Doing the exercises could and may help the baby flip but probably not.  I read that if they are breech for most of the pregnancy and a version is performed the chances that they will flip back to breech on their own is higher.   I am not trying to be argumentative with anyone.  I am just scared and nervous about the whole thing. 

I am going back in today to talk with my dr about when the C-Section would be scheduled.  I want to have time to plan.  I still have 3 kids at home that need to be taken care of.  I also have to decorate the house and get a tree. 

• Options

Here is one of the articles I read about breech babies and deliveries.

https://www.babyzone.com/askanexpert/c-section-for-breech-baby

• Options
    imagemishu917:

imageeisenberg0814:

That's pretty bad!

• Options
    I didnt find out til after my due date that my DS was breech so I didnt really have any time for other methods but my cousin's LO was still breech at 37 weeks and she went to a chiropractor who used the Webster Technique on her and it worked. Give it a shot.
  • Options

Just feeling the belly really can't say for sure if baby is breech....we knew my LO was breech but they kept joking that if you felt my belly at certain times you'd think she was head down.

I'm trying all the techniques to get her to flip before my u/s next Friday..I've been doing the breech tilt and I'm going to a chiopractor tomorrow to try that out.  If she doesn't flip by next friday (almost 37 weeks) I'll probably give the external version a shot.  I've asked tons of questions about it and being that my Dr will only try for 2 minute tops before stopping it made me feel better that if she really doesn't want to move they won't push it...he's done it for 35 years and never once had a problem.

If after that she's still breech then a c-section it is, but I'm gonna try everything at this point to get her to flip

• Options
    imageAppleMomma:
    imagemishu917:

imageeisenberg0814:

That's pretty bad!

I think it's pretty amazing that you assume a DR would be able to tell just from feeling.  Doesn't it seem like it would be a better idea to do a scan to make sure????

This is my third and I still can't tell from feeling. 

• Options

You've got to do what you've got to do!  I didn't mean highly motivated as any sort of dig, just that if you were really bummed about the cs that there were options that some doctors--even great ones--don't always remind of us of. It sounds like you are ready to make a plan and if that is what feels best for you, your baby, and your family then great! I hope your dr gets back to you with a schedule so you can start to have some peace about this change. I just got my news yesterday, too, and am still pretty emotional about it. I know we'll both figure it out, but it still stinks to have yet another thing to process thrown in the mix.

• Options

I agree with you.  Having to sort all of this out along with being pregnant, making arrangements for someone to care for my kids, finishing decorating and getting the last of the baby stuff done is a little overwhelming.  I felt really emotional on my way home from the Dr office yesterday.  I feel better today... still disappointed things aren't going to go how I planned them. 

I have an appointment tomorrow to try a version.  I have to be there at 11am.  I am a little scared but I am trying to think positive about this.  I will know more after tomorrow.  Hopefully I will have a date for the c-section.  I will post again when I know more.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"