2nd Trimester

concerns about gender ultrasound done at 17 weeks...

So we had an ultrasound done at 17 weeks, and the ultrasound tech said she "thinks" its a girl. I didn't see anything on the screen, and asked what made her think that, and she basically said it was because she didn't see much between the baby's legs.

My question is, at 17 weeks, does the absence of boy bits give a good indication it's a girl? And have any of you ladies, or anyone you know been told the wrong gender at an early scan?

We have our regular anatomy scan coming up end of this month, I'll be 20 weeks then. But I'm anxious about buying stuff, haha. And I don't want to spend money to find out we're actually supposed to be buying blue, not pink!

Re: concerns about gender ultrasound done at 17 weeks...

• Regardless of anyone else's outcomes, I personally would wait for the 20 week if I were you.
  • I was just in on a delivery where the mom had her ultrasound done at 18 weeks. They were told girl. When she delivered at 38 weeks, SURPRISE. It's a boy! So I would maybe hold off for a few more weeks! Or save your receipts!

• Loading the player...
  • Yeah I would wait for the 20 week scan....a better indication that it's a girl is the 3 lines that they look for when the find the gender....you never know how the LO is positioned and it could be hiding or shy lol.  If you absolutely need to try and buy things, save reciepts.  Either that or you can start registering.
    image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Go shopping girl and keep the receipts. 

This post has me worried because at 18 weeks there wasn't the 3 lines and the u/s tech told us girl. 

• imageBeetleLinz1125:
    Yeah I would wait for the 20 week scan....a better indication that it's a girl is the 3 lines that they look for when the find the gender....you never know how the LO is positioned and it could be hiding or shy lol.  If you absolutely need to try and buy things, save reciepts.  Either that or you can start registering.

I'm having an elective u/s at 16w4d and they've already told me that the "absence" of a penis does not mean it is definitely a girl. They have to see the three lines! 

• I actually had a friend recently in your position.  She was told girl then at her 20 week... it's a boy!  We really want to know but we held off until 20 weeks (next Tuesday) for the anatomy scan.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • imageGina418:
    Regardless of anyone else's outcomes, I personally would wait for the 20 week if I were you.

This exactly.  I hear of U/s techs being wrong at early u/s all the time!! 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had an unexpected u/s yesterday at 16w5d. Looks all boy to us and u/s tech, but she did warn us not to go out and buy stuff till our 20 week scan which isn't till Jan. 3rd. I've had a feeling it was a boy all along, but I still want to be more sure.
    Andrea 7/9/08, Joaquin 4/18/11, boy coming 12/18/13 Forever missed: Gabriel 11/24/09 at 20 weeks
  • I would definitely hold off a few more weeks, keep receipts, or only buy gender neutral things. I had an elective u/s at 14w and they said girl. I think I saw 3 lines but I'm not positive. We are waiting until our anatomy scan next Friday to make any gender specific purchases, just in case. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • I've seen lots of posts here where the Ultrasound tech called it wrong early.

I had a scan done yesterday and she said she wasn't sure but was guessing a girl because she couldn't see anything.

That was just it tho, we couldn't see anything,external parts or the famed three lines.

I had my amnio done yesterday so regardless, i'll know gender by the end of the week and it will be 99.9% accurate instead of a guess LOL. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • My doc's practice's standard procedure is to do sex determination at the 16-week appt. Last time we found out at 15w2d. Even that early, you should still be able to clearly see the "lines" that indicate the labia on a girl. It's not enough to just not see a penis. You should see lines.

So, yes, 17 weeks is an adequate amount of time to get a certain sex determination. But no, I wouldn't trust the tech's "not much between the baby's legs." I would start looking at pink stuff, but maybe not buy anything yet.

Dear Bump: You suck.
  • I definately would wait to find at your anatomy scan. My sister found at 17 weeks that she was having a boy but that was when she went for an ultrasound that they were looking for the gender. But I myself wouldn't be feeling 100% when someone was just making a guess based off of the fact that they couldn't see something.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had my anatomy ultrasound at 16 weeks, 2 days with my first pregnancy. I was told boy and now I have a healthy 18 month old son. :)
  • imageiljessicail:

My question is, at 17 weeks, does the absence of boy bits give a good indication it's a girl? 

No, not alone. You should see a penis or the three white lines (3 white dots if it's earlier) in order to determine sex. At 17 weeks, it should be possible to determine sex, unless the ultrasound technician wasn't able to get a good view. Here is our little girl at 17 weeks 1 day. The three white lines are very obvious, IMO.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If my tech said "thinks" its a girl then I would wait until the 20 week one to buy anything...or at least keep the receipts!  Its only 3 weeks, you can make it!

imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• I had a level 2 u/s at 16 weeks to follow up from a high NT measurement.  I was told one boy and one girl.  We could see 3 white lines for the girl and the boy was obvious.  We had an amnio done that day as well, and the results confirmed one boy and one girl.
  • I had an ultrasound at 18 weeks. She showed us the '3 lines' and told us it was a girl. When we had our 21 week ultrasound it was very clear that it was actually a boy! We were shocked. I wouldn't buy anything if I were you- good luck~
  • imageGina418:
    Regardless of anyone else's outcomes, I personally would wait for the 20 week if I were you.

This. I don't even trust them 100% at 20w.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks so much ladies. I agree that my best bet is to just hold my horses.

I googled what the three lines should have looked like, and what it would have looked like if it were a boy, and honestly my u/s picture matched none of them.. Most of the shots where it was real clear was what they were calling a "toilet shot" (like that u/s wand caught the picture from underneath the baby's bottom.) And that's not what angle ours was done from either.

Ultimately, in my next pregnancy, I will just wait until the 20 week and not even attempt a gender scan earlier than that. We were excited and wanted to know, but being on the fence about it like this is even worse.

Thank y'all again! I'll keep you posted what we find out in 3 weeks :)

• We had an early 3d ultrasound at 15 weeks 2 days for fun and early gender prediction.  For the first half hour of the scan we were told it was a girl and even saw the 3 lines twice on the dvd.  Thank god the place we went to was soooo excited about our baby.  Normally they do a 20 minute session but did 45 minutes with us.  During the last 10-15 minutes our LO started really moving around and it was VERY obvious the 3 lines meant nothing cause you could clearly see HIS boy parts many times including him playing with his self (yes, this starts in the womb - LOL!!)!!!!  As excited as I was to buy stuff too, we still waited until our anatomy scan at 19 weeks 2 days to confirm gender.  Needless to say his parts got quite a bit larger - LOL!!!  It is totally a boy.  IMO - I would wait to buy anything until your anatomy scan.  Its seems so far away, but really its  not.  You can do it!!  Big Smile
    Photobucket
  • I feel ya! I had my 16 week appt today and my Dr. did an unltrasound just for fun and he said, "Do you want to know the sex?" Of sourse I said yes! This was followed by, "Well don't go telling everyone yet or start celebrating, but I believe you are having a boy" What the heck am I supposed to do with that answer!? I do have an ultrasound scheduled for Monday so I am going to ask the tech what she can tell me. I get ultrasounds every 2 weeks so I figure they should be able to tell sometime soon. Otherwise I suppose I will have to wait until next month for my 20 week appt.

• I had a regular u/s at 15w2d and the tech was 99% sure that Nugget was a boy. It's been confirmed many times that he's a boy
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"