Baby Showers

Are gift cards better than baby registering??

My baby shower wont be until another 3 months but Im starting to plan and organize it right now.  I actually wanted to ask for gifts cards to Target and Babies R Us instead of registering at the store.  I feel like it will be easier for the guests and easier for us.  In most baby showers, you would recieve the same gifts from guests and end up returning it or exchanging it for something else. Please, I would like to hear your input on this :)

Re: Are gift cards better than baby registering??

• I'd put gift cards on your registry but I'd also include normal registry items. People don't like being asked to bring gift cards which are basically like cash. They like to look at what you need, pick something, or buy some cute little clothes, toys etc.

The entire idea of a registry is that you shouldn't recieve duplicates- once it's bought it should be marked as 1/1 indicating not to buy another. Inevitably you will get a few duplicates (people buying things that you thought important to choose yourself (carseat, bedding etc) that they liked instead of the one on the registry. Pick the one you like best, if the other has a gift reciept return it, if not donate it (descretly) to a family in need or an organization (children's aid society etc). 

No one wants to watch you open gift card after gift card at a shower. I registered for things that are important to me (monitor, cloth diapers, thermometer kit, changing pad etc) and figure people will bring whatever they think is cute for clothes, toys, blankets etc.

• Thank you so much! :) I was thinking it was informal and kind of rude for asking for gifts cards because it is like asking for cash. It is a good idea to register list and ask for things that are fine to be duplicated.  I have another question too, I wanted to register to Target and Babies R Us, where else should I register at??
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLynette15:
    My baby shower wont be until another 3 months but Im starting to plan and organize it right now. 

You should not be throwing your own shower.  That is the height of rudeness.  

• imagedanilynn17:

imageLynette15:
    My baby shower wont be until another 3 months but Im starting to plan and organize it right now. 

You should not be throwing your own shower.  That is the height of rudeness.  

Ditto this.  I'm this.close to wondering if you're even for real.  New poster, planning your own shower, and asking if you can just ask for gift cards.....

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• well i dont have anyone else to throw it for me so its not the height of rudeness :/ Its really my husband planning it but of course Im going to help him plan and organize.  I was just asking for your guys input, not insults

• So you're throwing a party for yourselves that centers on gifts? Yes that is rude under any circumstances. 

A shower is a gift, not right.

• Dude...you can't throw your own shower. And your DH cannot throw it for you either.
  • imagedanilynn17:

So you're throwing a party for yourselves that centers on gifts? Yes that is rude under any circumstances. 

A shower is a gift, not right.

This.

• Again, I dont have anyone else to plan it than my husband and I.  We live on a military base and we moved here right before I knew I was pregnant.  I didnt feel right having our friends and neighbors that we just met throw a shower for us so I told them my husband and I were planning it.We didnt want to be showered with gifts, we wanted to celebrate us having a baby.  Didnt mean to be rude...
  • The point of a shower is to give gifts.  You didn't feel right about having people you just met throw you a shower, but you're perfectly okay with throwing your own and shaking down these people you barely know for gifts?

• imageLynette15:
    Again, I dont have anyone else to plan it than my husband and I.  We live on a military base and we moved here right before I knew I was pregnant.  I didnt feel right having our friends and neighbors that we just met throw a shower for us so I told them my husband and I were planning it.We didnt want to be showered with gifts, we wanted to celebrate us having a baby.  Didnt mean to be rude...
    If you're not close to your friends and neighbors, who exactly do you plan in inviting?
  • If you don't want gifts, then don't have a shower. A baby shower by definition is a gift from a friends/family meant to set a new mother up with nursery fittings, in the form of gifts from other friends and family.

Have a "meet the baby party" after the baby is born. There's is nothing tacky or rude about inviting people over to your house to meet a new baby. It is, however, incredibly tacky and rude to invite people over to bring you presents. Do yourself a favor and google "who should throw a baby shower" before you turn yourself into the laughing-stock of your base.

People will likely still bring gifts (mostly outfits and toys) to a meet the baby party, but it's not an event centered around "showering" a new mother with gifts.

BTW, if you don't have any friends or family nearby to throw a shower for you... who are you inviting? The neighbors that you don't really know? Good luck with that. Hmm

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"