3rd Trimester

NBR: December birthdays suck!

And if you have a birthday this month, happy birthday from me! If you have a birthday this month, can you put your day down here so we can tell you happy birthday then?

Mine/Fergie+1: Dec. 11th

Mrs. B: Today! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, I hope you at least get a cake and a card!!

IzzlesMom: Dec. 19th

Tcarrol: Dec. 7th

Catste: Dec. 20th

If you have a birthday this month, I do want to know so I can wish you a happy birthday on your day. If you're anything like me, it may be the only 'happy birthday' you get and it's nice to hear it from someone.

Edited: To add a few more birthdays to my list.

CafeMom Tickers
imageimage

Re: NBR: December birthdays suck!

• Mine is tomorrow but way more importantly DD's 1st birthday is Saturday!!! Party!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine was the 4th. I got/did nothing. Yayyyyyy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Happy birthday! 

I certainly hope that my child doesn't think that December bdays suck since he may very well have one--as will many other of the babies on this board, LOL. Is there something that your parents or friends did or didn't do growing up or even now that made a Dec bday tough? We want to make sure that our LO always sees his birthday as the celebration-worthy miracle that we do after a hard time getting and staying PG.

• Kind of a mean post, don't you think?? Quite a lot of us are having December babies. And my DS1 was born Jan 2nd, so a week after Xmas. Guess I suck at timing...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageKellina:
    Kind of a mean post, don't you think?? Quite a lot of us are having December babies. And my DS1 was born Jan 2nd, so a week after Xmas. Guess I suck at timing...

Yeah, all in all kind of a douche-y thing to say.  

I'm a "Holiday" birthday and have never-ever minded at all.  My due-date was yesterday so I guess my LO will have "sucky" birthday for his entire life too.  What was I thinking?!?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I guess I'm a horrible mom for getting pregnant in the beginning of April then, because this is going to be a December 22 baby.
  • mine's December 24th.... yea Sad

happy birthday everyone else!! 

ETA: I don't think she meant this post as a "wow you guys suck for having your LOs in Dec." post, more of a comradeship for people who have December b-days and who have gone most of their lives getting "combination presents" and "oh, hey, it's your b-day!" comments at 11PM on their special days.

• imagepixieprincss:

Happy birthday! 

I certainly hope that my child doesn't think that December bdays suck since he may very well have one--as will many other of the babies on this board, LOL. Is there something that your parents or friends did or didn't do growing up or even now that made a Dec bday tough? We want to make sure that our LO always sees his birthday as the celebration-worthy miracle that we do after a hard time getting and staying PG.

Don't give them Birthday/Christmas presents.  If I ever wanted something slightly big growiing up, it had to be both my birthday/Christmas present.  Funny my sister had a summer birthday, still got big presents but she didn't have to have birthday/christmas presents. 

So if they ever ask for something kinda big and you are tempted to  tell them it will have to be both their birthday/christmas present, ask yourself this.  If they were born in the summer would I tell them to same thing ?

• DH is 12/28 & DS is arriving on 12/24.  Yes I planned for a Christmas Eve delivery - you can all tell me what an awful mother I am at another time.

December babies do get the short end of the stick (ask hubby - 12/28).....so I figured we'd go big and just have the 2nd c-section on the 24th.  Keeps our theme going though.  DS was born on Valentine's Day....I have a Halloween Birthday.....now my daughter will be Christmas Eve. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imagestw_77:
    imagepixieprincss:

Happy birthday! 

Don't give them Birthday/Christmas presents.  If I ever wanted something slightly big growiing up, it had to be both my birthday/Christmas present.  Funny my sister had a summer birthday, still got big presents but she didn't have to have birthday/christmas presents. 

So if they ever ask for something kinda big and you are tempted to  tell them it will have to be both their birthday/christmas present, ask yourself this.  If they were born in the summer would I tell them to same thing ?

::shrugs:: My birthday is in April and I always got combined gifts if I wanted something large. I would get less at xmas than my brother and then the big gift in April.

• imageHUrquiza:

mine's December 24th.... yea Sad

happy birthday everyone else!! 

ETA: I don't think she meant this post as a "wow you guys suck for having your LOs in Dec." post, more of a comradeship for people who have December b-days and who have gone most of their lives getting "combination presents" and "oh, hey, it's your b-day!" comments at 11PM on their special days.

She didn't mean this in a mean way at all! She was simply trying to explain that us December babies are often forgotten about due to the holidays or our gifts are lumped with Christmas!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Not gonna lie here, I hate having a "Christmas baby" dd1 is 12/22 and it's only her 2nd birthday party this year and it's already such a hassle (not for me, but for other people). I'm considering celebrating her birthday in November instead....
  • Anyone who thinks I'm a douchebag for writing this has never had a Dec. birthday in thier family I guess.

Decembers birthdays get over looked big time. Every person around them is so busy with Christmas buying that you'll never really get a good birthday gift/party. (I also got birthday/Christmas gifts even though there's 2 wks between them.) Birthdays in May or March never get overlooked because there's no craziness with holiday parties and such going on. 

For any mom who's having a Dec. baby, just make sure you always save money to give them some sort of party or gift that is unrelated to Christmas. No red and green socks, no candy canes, no Santa bears, etc. It's not okay to do it in June, it's not okay in December. Christmas themes are inescapable this time of year, but never overlook your child's birthday just because it's near a major holiday. If you notice, all the women who responded who had/will have a birthday this month didn't say anything negative. Why? They understand. You can't help if your due date is this month, but you CAN try to save money aside in the future so that you're not so broke by your kid's birthday that you give them a crappy birthday. Even as adults we have to live with this. I never get to have birthday parties with friends because this time of year, everyone's weekends are full and they would rather be caroling/visiting family/volunteering somewhere/out of town celebrations.

I did not intend to be a d-bag, and even though the title is rude it's pretty accurate. I just wanted to wish all the December birthday's a happy birthday in case there's no one else who remembers to say it to them. I don't think that's douchey. I think it's nice. 

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • I admit, I wouldn't have choosen to have a December baby.  Since I am, I plan on celebrating his/her "half birthday" in June so we can have a nice party and take advantage of the good weather.
  • imageErin0922:
    Mine was the 4th. I got/did nothing. Yayyyyyy.

I'm sorry!! Sad Happy Belated Birthday from me, I hope there was something to make it a good day. Or maybe you'll get a birthday dinner this weekend.

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • I really don't think this was meant to be offensive.....I think she was just trying to show support for those of us who have December birthdays.  DH & I tried for several months before getting our BFP and if we had ended up with a December due date that wouldn't have made us "sucky parents" but having a december birthday myself I would have definitely made sure to never brush over or forget their birthday.
  • Mine is the 13th and baby's is sometime this week (induced or not!)  I've always had a great birthday and now it's about to be even better!  Smile
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • While not a December birthday, mine is Jan 1 so quite close.  I just had to weigh in and say not everyone hates having a bday so close to Christmas.  I don't mind it at all but then again, I don't need everyone and their dog to wish me a happy birthday in order to feel validated:)

• imageKRiffe:
    Mine is the 13th and baby's is sometime this week (induced or not!)  I've always had a great birthday and now it's about to be even better!  Smile

Wow, you are extremely fortunate! Almost every Dec. birthday I've encountered has had a history of not-so-great birthdays, as you can tell from the Dec. birthdays who responded here. It's really hard to be overlooked on your birthday. I mean, it's the day to celebrate your life, and when pretty much everyone can't make time for you or forgot to send you a card, it hurt all the more, like your life just wasn't worth saving a couple bucks for. 

For any mom due in Dec., I'm not digging at you. You either wanted a Dec. baby or didn't have a choice in the matter. I'm referring to the women on the board who have Dec. birthdays and barely even get a Happy Birthday from anyone. 

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • imageTiffanyTheMom:

imageKRiffe:
    Mine is the 13th and baby's is sometime this week (induced or not!)  I've always had a great birthday and now it's about to be even better!  Smile

Wow, you are extremely fortunate! Almost every Dec. birthday I've encountered has had a history of not-so-great birthdays, as you can tell from the Dec. birthdays who responded here. It's really hard to be overlooked on your birthday. I mean, it's the day to celebrate your life, and when pretty much everyone can't make time for you or forgot to send you a card, it hurt all the more, like your life just wasn't worth saving a couple bucks for. 

For any mom due in Dec., I'm not digging at you. You either wanted a Dec. baby or didn't have a choice in the matter. I'm referring to the women on the board who have Dec. birthdays and barely even get a Happy Birthday from anyone. 

It sounds to me like the people in your life suck considering they overlook and don't make time for your birthday. I don't think you can blame the calendar for that. 

• imagesomegirl425:

While not a December birthday, mine is Jan 1 so quite close.  I just had to weigh in and say not everyone hates having a bday so close to Christmas.  I don't mind it at all but then again, I don't need everyone and their dog to wish me a happy birthday in order to feel validated:)

I didn't know I implied this. Confused The thing is, most December birthdays don't even get ONE happy birthday on their day. Like I said before, it's really hard to feel like you're remembered when no one says it to you. It's hard to feel special when no one even spared 99cents on a birthday card for you. Even just a few strangers on the internet remembering your birthday can make it feel much, much better even if your were forgotten by everyone else.

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • imageMama_SAS:
    imageTiffanyTheMom:

imageKRiffe:

It sounds to me like the people in your life suck considering they overlook and don't make time for your birthday. I don't think you can blame the calendar for that. 

It could be. But take a look at the other Dec. birthdays (of women, not babies) here who piped up and said they didn't get anything on their birthday either or haven't in the past. Do we all know the same sucky people or what?

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • One thing you guys might want to know in case you already don't: Tiffany and I are twins.

So, 2 weeks to the day before Christmas it's a double-whammy birthday for our family- and we've always been screwed. We've gotten the gift from a cousin that arrived exactly in between those 2 days so we were told to wait until Christmas, to open it and see "Happy Birthday!" and a $5 bill. We've gotten stiffed on gifts because of there being 2 of us and it being so close to Christmas- is a cheap art set apeice a good gift? How about a sketch book on our birthday and the colored pencils for Christmas? Our mom has taken a cruise during our birthday, our 'Sweet 16' was a joke- and not sweet. We both cried because the day itself was barely acknowledged. Our grandmother swore to GOD that our birthday was the day after, and when Tiff and I looked back through old pictures, she had thought that for years. Ouch, right? Yet, our sister, who's a January baby, always got good gifts, decorations (real decorations; not Christmas!)- sometimes even parties with friends invited. Sad.

Tiff's not being mean. She just wants to be sure that December birthdays get recognized because 9 times out of 10, the story's the same: Shitty gifts (if that) and maybe a 'Happy Birthday' late in the day once word gets out that it's your birthday and people feel bad for forgetting.

For all of you delivering in December, just be sure to pay attention to this. It is NOT fun for a December child to feel overlooked every year and then as adults not be able to celebrate still because of Christams looming over their head. Yes; we know it's not our fault or anyone else's that everyone has plans throughout the month- but acknowledgement would be fantastic.

• imageTiffanyTheMom:
    imageMama_SAS:

It could be. But take a look at the other Dec. birthdays (of women, not babies) here who piped up and said they didn't get anything on their birthday either or haven't in the past. Do we all know the same sucky people or what?

Well, you certainly don't know me. I'm just saying that if your friends can't be bothered to acknowledge your birthday then they're sucky friends. 

My friend's birthday is today and I called her in Poland to wish her a happy birthday and sent her card 2 weeks ago. I have family with birthdays on 12/4, 12/8, 12/20 12/21 and 12/23. I've sent cards to the first 2, have cards made out for the last 3, and called the first one on his birthday. Plus I'm 37 weeks pregnant, have a 4 year old, am planning for Christmas and a scheduled c/s, managed to ship out Hanukkah gifts on time to my nephews and call my Jewish friends for Hanukkah.

I don't treat December birthdays any different because there are holidays this month. If your friends and family treat your birthday differently than everyone else's it's not the calendar's fault. I'm just saying you should place the blame where it belongs.

• For me, now it isn't  bad to have a december birthday but as a kid, yeah it sucked.  My mom would ask for a wish list for my birthday, but I got a lot of " We can't afford that right now because of Christmas" comments.  I was really jealous of my sister who had bigger birthdays and Christmases because she had a June birthday. 

My advice to Dec moms ( hey I am a Nov mom myself) is to make their birthday and Christmas two special days.  Sure they will be close together  but as long as they are two special days ( and really try to avoid the combination gifts), you shouldn't have a problem.

• My mom and sister's birthdays are the week before Christmas. Mine's in July. I always felt bad for my little sister, because she'd have two or three people show up to her birthday parties and I know she resented it for a while. It's a hard thing to deal with when you're little especially. We just started doing the half birthday thing and celebrating in June. I think she really liked that a lot more.

Happy birthday December ladies!

Lilypie Maternity tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageFergie+1:

One thing you guys might want to know in case you already don't: Tiffany and I are twins.

So, 2 weeks to the day before Christmas it's a double-whammy birthday for our family- and we've always been screwed. We've gotten the gift from a cousin that arrived exactly in between those 2 days so we were told to wait until Christmas, to open it and see "Happy Birthday!" and a $5 bill. We've gotten stiffed on gifts because of there being 2 of us and it being so close to Christmas- is a cheap art set apeice a good gift? How about a sketch book on our birthday and the colored pencils for Christmas? Our mom has taken a cruise during our birthday, our 'Sweet 16' was a joke- and not sweet. We both cried because the day itself was barely acknowledged. Our grandmother swore to GOD that our birthday was the day after, and when Tiff and I looked back through old pictures, she had thought that for years. Ouch, right? Yet, our sister, who's a January baby, always got good gifts, decorations (real decorations; not Christmas!)- sometimes even parties with friends invited. Sad.

Tiff's not being mean. She just wants to be sure that December birthdays get recognized because 9 times out of 10, the story's the same: Shitty gifts (if that) and maybe a 'Happy Birthday' late in the day once word gets out that it's your birthday and people feel bad for forgetting.

For all of you delivering in December, just be sure to pay attention to this. It is NOT fun for a December child to feel overlooked every year and then as adults not be able to celebrate still because of Christams looming over their head. Yes; we know it's not our fault or anyone else's that everyone has plans throughout the month- but acknowledgement would be fantastic.

This further solidifies my point. Those people who gave shiitty gifts knew your birthdays were coming and should have set aside money for that, just as they would for anyone else's birthday.

I'm not arguing about whether you had crappy birthdays; I'm arguing that you should place blame on the people who made those birthdays crappy. 

• I'm sure no-one meant this as a dig to us Dec moms. But no one on here knows when my birthday is and wishes me happy bday! Who cares! My parents, DH, and my 3 friends are about all I get a happy bday from! My co workers forget, and I really don't care! And my bday is in august. Pretty much ALL winter bdays in upstate NY suck because it's cold and snowing. Just MHO! :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageMama_SAS:
    imageFergie+1:

One thing you guys might want to know in case you already don't: Tiffany and I are twins.

This further solidifies my point. Those people who gave shiitty gifts knew your birthdays were coming and should have set aside money for that, just as they would for anyone else's birthday.

I'm not arguing about whether you had crappy birthdays; I'm arguing that you should place blame on the people who made those birthdays crappy. 

Okay- so we should call our parents and grandparents and tell them "Thanks for giving us shitty-a$$ brithdays! You gave us a complex!"?

Her point is to ensure that this round of December babies DON'T get stiffed from family not planning properly.

• Today!!

And while mine is still a little ways a way from Christmas it does suck because of the weather where I live. I hate snow and it is always so cold so I was always stuck inside. I envied the kids who could go to the water park for their birthdays...oh well.  My parents did a pretty good job of keeping my birthday separate from Christmas though.

ETA: If it wasn't for facebook then I would probably only hear Happy Birthday a couple times and that is it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageFergie+1:
    imageMama_SAS:
    imageFergie+1:

Okay- so we should call our parents and grandparents and tell them "Thanks for giving us shitty-a$$ brithdays! You gave us a complex!"?

Her point is to ensure that this round of December babies DON'T get stiffed from family not planning properly.

The reason I made this point is because getting stiffed on a birthday is NOT unique to me. Or my twin. It's something *almost* every Dec. birthday shares. I'm not asking for a parade, nor did I think that's wht message I came across in my OP. 

People, go back and READ what I wrote. I said I wanted to know when the ladies who are having birthdays in Dec. will be another year older, and that I wanted to give them a happy birthday on this forum in case it was the only one they heard. Why? Because it's not unique to me, I've already heard a few ladies who had a birthday today or yesterday or the day before who said they didn't hear it once. It makes you feel like utter crap to be forgotten. 

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • imageFergie+1:

LOL, sure. You do whatever you want, but that was not the point of this post. The conversation turned when it was pointed out how insensitive it seemed to post this to a bunch of December mamas. 

• I'm not a december baby, but DH is the 16th and every year for the last 8 years he would tell me how he always got short changed on his b-day due to it being so close to the holidays. Believe me, I've made up for lost times...always made sure he had a fabulous birthday since we've been together, but this year he will feel it again...I'm due in 2 days. lol Poor guy only gets a daughter for his b-day this year (ooh and a 1 hour massage gift certificate to a local massage place...I'd take it!). =/
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageFergie+1:
    imageMama_SAS:
    imageFergie+1:

The reason I made this point is because getting stiffed on a birthday is NOT unique to me. Or my twin. It's something *almost* every Dec. birthday shares. I'm not asking for a parade, nor did I think that's wht message I came across in my OP. 

People, go back and READ what I wrote. I said I wanted to know when the ladies who are having birthdays in Dec. will be another year older, and that I wanted to give them a happy birthday on this forum in case it was the only one they heard. Why? Because it's not unique to me, I've already heard a few ladies who had a birthday today or yesterday or the day before who said they didn't hear it once. It makes you feel like utter crap to be forgotten. Even if I'm the only person who tells them happy birthday, which might be the case, then I'm glad to have been the one to say it.

I find it hard to believe you're trying to make this situation specific when other Dec. birthday women here have popped up and agreed that managing to get a Happy Birthday from anyone this time of year is hard. You're a great friend to send out cards and make calls so early, but you NEED to realize you might be the minority here, not me. 

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • I'm December 27th. While my parties and what not can blow (hello blizzard on my 30th) I have to say my mom is awesome. Growing up she threw me a half birthday party every year on her birthday, June 27th. It IS hard to find a weekend not monopolized by Christmas and New Year's to celebrate with your friends. But, the upside? I never had school on my birthday and in 30 years only had to work on it once (when I worked retail.)
  • imageTiffanyTheMom:
    imageFergie+1:
    imageMama_SAS:
    imageFergie+1:

People, go back and READ what I wrote. I said I wanted to know when the ladies who are having birthdays in Dec. will be another year older, and that I wanted to give them a happy birthday on this forum in case it was the only one they heard. Why? Because it's not unique to me, I've already heard a few ladies who had a birthday today or yesterday or the day before who said they didn't hear it once. It makes you feel like utter crap to be forgotten. Even if I'm the only person who tells them happy birthday, which might be the case, then I'm glad to have been the one to say it.

I find it hard to believe you're trying to make this situation specific when other Dec. birthday women here have popped up and agreed that managing to get a Happy Birthday from anyone this time of year is hard. You're a great friend to send out cards and make calls so early, but you NEED to realize you might be the minority here, not me. 

Seriously? I never said it was unique to you. All I said was that you all need to place blame where blame is due. It's not like the calendar flips to 12/1 and everyone in the world magically becomes a shiitty friend or family member, and I never said it was just you. I acknowledge that it happens but I think a good friend would remember your birthday no matter when it was and a shiitty friend would forget your birthday no matter when it was. 

• imageAllysunC:

Today!!

And while mine is still a little ways a way from Christmas it does suck because of the weather where I live. I hate snow and it is always so cold so I was always stuck inside. I envied the kids who could go to the water park for their birthdays...oh well.  My parents did a pretty good job of keeping my birthday separate from Christmas though.

ETA: If it wasn't for facebook then I would probably only hear Happy Birthday a couple times and that is it.

Happy Birthday then! I'm glad your parents worked hard to make sure you had great birthdays growing up, like you said I'm sure with them being Dec. babies themselves they put more effort into it. I've never minded the cold, I kind of love it!  (Maybe I really appreciate it now that I'm almost 8 months pregnant and am hot all the time...)

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • imageMama_SAS:

Seriously? I never said it was unique to you. All I said was that you all need to place blame where blame is due. It's not like the calendar flips to 12/1 and everyone in the world magically becomes a shiitty friend or family member, and I never said it was just you. I acknowledge that it happens but I think a good friend would remember your birthday no matter when it was and a shiitty friend would forget your birthday no matter when it was. 

It did seem like you implied that it's just me and Holly who've had crappy Dec. birthdays and that it's all down to our crappy company of friends and family. Which is ridiculous. Not every birthday we had was a disaster, but the ones We (I) have even now haven't changed much. My friends are great, but even they can't help but plan for other things first and then when they 'remember' (me tell them) my birthday is coming up and I want to go bowling, they've already got things planned. This is just how it is for a lot of December birthdays. My sister is really fortunate her DH is also a Dec. baby, and because they both share that they make each other's birthdays really good. 

Anyway, you're totally taking this post off point. It's not about me. I just wanted to make sure that all the ladies who HAVE been overlooked on their birthdays have at least one person telling them Happy Birthday. 

Please tell me what crime I'm committing. Really. Drop it. I'm trying to be nice, this wasn't supposed to be about me. 

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • imageFergie+1:

Wow, quite the sob story really but my bday is a week after christmas and my family always made sure to do something special.  It really has nothing to do with the date and rather has everything to do with how your family chooses to handle it!  Now my friends always wish me a happy bday right at midnight on new year's eve!

My dad's bday often falls on mother's day but we always make sure to give him his own special day and then give mom her special day.

My brother's bday often falls on thanksgiving but he doesn't get forgotten either.  He always gets his own celebration.

Sorry you got crappy gifts but really, where is complaining going to get you?

• imageTiffanyTheMom:
    imageMama_SAS:

It did seem like you implied that it's just me and Holly who've had crappy Dec. birthdays and that it's all down to our crappy company of friends and family. Which is ridiculous. Not every birthday we had was a disaster, but the ones We (I) have even now haven't changed much. My friends are great, but even they can't help but plan for other things first and then when they 'remember' (me tell them) my birthday is coming up and I want to go bowling, they've already got things planned. This is just how it is for a lot of December birthdays. My sister is really fortunate her DH is also a Dec. baby, and because they both share that they make each other's birthdays really good. 

Anyway, you're totally taking this post off point. It's not about me. I just wanted to make sure that all the ladies who HAVE been overlooked on their birthdays have at least one person telling them Happy Birthday. 

Please tell me what crime I'm committing. Really. Drop it. I'm trying to be nice, this wasn't supposed to be about me. 

You are taking this way too personally, or completely misreading my tone. I never thought it was about you specifically. I thought we were discussing December birthdays, as your post title indicates. If you want to take it personally that's on you.  I think announcing to a bunch of December mamas that December birthdays suck is a bit mean, but after you addressed that point I thought it was discussion about pros and cons of December birthdays. I'm more than happy to drop it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"