December 2010 Moms

Our Chistmas tree smells like pee

Sad 

We cut down a Christmas tree every year and this is the first time it has smelled bad when we got home and put it up.

I'm guessing there isn't much we can do to make it go away... Has anyone else ever had a tree smell like pee? How long did it take to fade?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Our Chistmas tree smells like pee

• Get a Yankee Candle! :) maybe that will help.
  • I've never had a foul smelled Christmas tree, so I don't know what to tell you... However, I really want the Ravens to take out the Steelers tonight!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Pine tree air freshener?
  • Have you already decorated it? It's perfectly acceptable to wash it off with a hose, if you haven't. If you wash it, just let it dry out in the sun for the rest of the day.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers pregnancy calendar
  • I mean it was Pretty Hot And Tempting :0)

so tempting they had to pee on it, I guess. My mom has actually hung one of those yankee candle car freshners in pine inside her artificial tree so maybe try that??

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'd be tempted to have DH take it outside & really soak it down with the hose.  Hopefully that will get rid of whatever is on there.  :(  Sorry, that's gotta suck.
  • imagedace3699:
    I've never had a foul smelled Christmas tree, so I don't know what to tell you... However, I really want the Ravens to take out the Steelers tonight!!!

Me too! So far we're up and giving them a good fight. I give Ben props though for playing with a broken nose!

• imageLNwalker81:
    Have you already decorated it? It's perfectly acceptable to wash it off with a hose, if you haven't. If you wash it, just let it dry out in the sun for the rest of the day.

We decorated it tonight. We thought about washing it but it's pretty cold here so we thought it might freeze if we left it outside to dry and didn't want it dripping in the house.. I'm hoping it fades!

• How weird...and sad.  

Bed Bath and Beyond sells these little green sticks to hang on your tree that actually, legitimately smell like a real tree.  I didn't put up a real tree this year for the first time ever since we put it up so early and I didn't want to have to worry about watering it while we were in the hospital so bought some of these for our artificial tree and it smells like Christmas!

They were only like $5 or something, can't find the link at BBB but here's the amazon link for the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/ScentSicles-Scented-Christmas-Ornaments-Scent/dp/B000V2A8EU

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm sorry but the title of your post totally made me LOL.  Maybe you can get some pine scented car air fresheners and hang them like ornaments, lol.
    imageimageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelulu3061:

How weird...and sad.  

Bed Bath and Beyond sells these little green sticks to hang on your tree that actually, legitimately smell like a real tree.  I didn't put up a real tree this year for the first time ever since we put it up so early and I didn't want to have to worry about watering it while we were in the hospital so bought some of these for our artificial tree and it smells like Christmas!

They were only like $5 or something, can't find the link at BBB but here's the amazon link for the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/ScentSicles-Scented-Christmas-Ornaments-Scent/dp/B000V2A8EU

I'll check those out, thanks for sharing! Amazon is sold out but we have a BBB near us that I can try. Luckily it's not making the house smell but we can definitely smell it when we're close to it.

• imagelindsayluong12:
    I'm sorry but the title of your post totally made me LOL.  Maybe you can get some pine scented car air fresheners and hang them like ornaments, lol.

It is pretty comical.. I would laugh too if it wasn't in my house. We should have known to pick another tree when a little mouse jumped out of it while my H was cutting it down.

• imagefmgrice:

imagelindsayluong12:
    I'm sorry but the title of your post totally made me LOL.  Maybe you can get some pine scented car air fresheners and hang them like ornaments, lol.

It is pretty comical.. I would laugh too if it wasn't in my house. We should have known to pick another tree when a little mouse jumped out of it while my H was cutting it down.

Aww, I understand.  I wouldn't be laughing if it was my tree that I just cut down, dragged into my house and decorated.  Maybe the mouse was a little foreshadowing, lol.

imageimageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LOL.  This is one of the funniest posts I have read in a long time.  I remember noticing every smell while I was pregnant - and I still do!  I am only 2 weeks out and still have a super sense of smell.  I have never had a tree smell like pee before.  Maybe an animal got to it before it was cut down.  I have to say that would drive me crazy.  There is a spray called Urine Be Gone that remedies the pee smell (it is "As Seen on TV" and is also available in most drug stores). I would buy some and give the tree a spritz (sans lights of course) and let it sit and dry before placing the lights back on.  I hope that smell goes away and doesn't ruin your holiday.  Good luck and happy holidays to you and your family.  :) 
  • I know they sell spray that you can spray on artificial trees to make them smell like real pine...but I'm not sure if that would kill your real tree.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"