3rd Trimester

C-section Q's

Well, I went to the Dr. yesterday and he scheduled my C-section for the 21. Well, he put it on his calendar at least. He is going to send me for an ultrasound at 39 weeks just to check and make sure my LO hasn't turned. I asked him if it was a possibility that he would turn and he said not really, especially since it's my first. He said first baby's just don't move around like your 2nd or 3rd do. As of right now my Lo is balled up way high and has stayed that way. As of yesterday I was not dialated at all. So I guess It's a C-section for me. Any advice? I really havent done much research on C-sections because I didn't think I would be having one. The only advice I have heard is get up and walk as soon as you can! Which I will do! Any other advice would be appreciated!!!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: C-section Q's

• I'm probably linking this wrong, but there's a good thread on this on the January board that gives some good advice. Hopefully this helps-good luck!

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/46071544.aspx

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My best advice is to pack a travel neck pillow because it is so much more comfortable sleeping sitting up after a section. When I was lying down flat it pulled on my incision.

I also had DH move a recliner into the bedroom for when we get home because it is really physically difficult to get out of bed that first week.

Good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't prepare for a CSection with my first either, I think there is just too much to wrap your mind around, or something! Anyway, I would say for you not to worry and be prepared to hold a pillow over your belly when you laugh! I always felt like I was gonna pop all my stitches out and for some reason that struck me as hilarious, so it was all rather circular. Good luck and enjoy the new baby soon :)
  • This may be a silly question. I dont understand why he scheduled a C-section even before your 40 weeks (other than I see your due on Christmas). Are you (or he) hoping to avoid Christmas conflicts or is there other reasons?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have had two C-sections and just found out I am expecting again. My advice to you would be to talk to your doctor about all of the options. If you are healthy and the baby is healthy and not distressed there is no reason to do a c-section. A lot can happen in 3 weeks. Remember that you are seeking your doctors guidance but that you have the final say.
     If you do decide the C-section is for you, just remember to take it easy but walk as much as you are comfortable with. After my second c-section I spent all day walking the halls and was able to go home a day early. Also, try not to cough of sneeze, it will feel like your incision got ripped open. After my first C-section the doctor prescribed me a laxative. After the second, they didn't. I found I was more comfortable taking a laxative because it is too painful to use those muscles to do your business.
    I hope all goes well for you! 
  • imagesjcoregon6:
    This may be a silly question. I dont understand why he scheduled a C-section even before your 40 weeks (other than I see your due on Christmas). Are you (or he) hoping to avoid Christmas conflicts or is there other reasons?

It sounds like her baby is breech and they usually schedule sections before your actual due date to avoid you going in to labor.

DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • imagesjcoregon6:
    This may be a silly question. I dont understand why he scheduled a C-section even before your 40 weeks (other than I see your due on Christmas). Are you (or he) hoping to avoid Christmas conflicts or is there other reasons?

Most scheduled c-sections are in the 39th week to attempt to avoid unnecessarily going into labor, at least in my understanding. 

• Snag as many of the ugly mesh undies as you can from the hospital!  They're waist high, ugly, but oh so comfortable.  Any elastic coming even near my incision site bothered me, including my giant, two sizes too big, maternity granny panties.  I lived in mesh undies and loose dresses the first week home (very attractive, I know).  Also, stay on top of the pain meds.  I hate taking medicine and tried to see if I could go without the pain meds, which really wasn't a good idea.  You're recovering from surgery, after all.  Good luck to you!!!! 
  • I didnt really prepare myself for my emergency C Section 4 weeks ago. However it was nothing like I thought it would be. It was actually alot easier than what little bit I mentally prepared for in the few hours I had to think about it before it happened. Be sure to have underwear that go up higher than your bikini line so you dont irritate your incision. If you have a bed that sits up high, get a step stool so you can get on and off the bed without pulling your incision. The more you get up and move around the easier it will be, the first 24 hours are the worst part. I used a bella band when I got home, it felt good having a little pressure on my stomach. Good Luck

• My repeat c/s is scheduled for the 20th! So you'll be right after me! Don't worry...it was no big deal. After 24 hours of labor (15 without epi), I was relieved to get a c/s. It was fast and easy, no pain at all. I was immed brought back to my room where I labored...like min after they stitched me up. About 10 min later, DH came walking in with DD, so it was nice. Def. get up as soon as you can and keep moving. Yes, you will be sore, but the more you move, the better you will feel. I was able to go home less than 48 hours afer my c-section, and I plan on doing the same with this baby. Don't be a martyr...take your pain meds every 6 hours for a few days, even if you feel like you don't need them. A couple of times I felt fine and the nurses kept telling me to take the meds and I didn't, then BAM, it would hit me like a ton of bricks (mainly in the evening). So after that, I took them even if I didn't feel the need to. Take Colace b/c the pain meds will constipate you. Don't be afraid to take a shower or pee or poop. None of those bothered me. I was soooo afraid a shower would burn the incision, but it was quite the opposite, it felt so good to take a shower. If you have to sneeze, laugh, throw up, or cough, push a pillow into your inscision, as it will help with the pain/pressure (I was vomitting after a pain injection they gave me the first night, and the nurse told me to do that and it helped). Dont' be afraid to let people help you. Good luck, you will be FINE!! Just a little side note to make you feel better...my friend had her DD 2 min before me and wound up with a 3rd degree tear (vaginal) and she was in pain and on painkillers longer than I was! Plus she couldn't sit, pee, poop, and the first few months of sex was torture for her!

ETA - buy some big overnight pads to use over your incision. Althgouh mine was numb (and still his), it is a little sore (if that makes sense). I placed the pad facing the incision and the adhesive stuck to my underwear to keep my underwear off of the incision, and because it will ooze a little for the first few days. And def. get the mesh undies as PP mentions...I LOVED them. Wore them for like 4 weeks!

Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagesjcoregon6:

Yes, that is exactly why! I don't want to be in the hospital on Christmas and neither does he. I think the c-sention is tentaive as of right now, we are going to check again at 39 weeks and if he has turned we will more than likely wait, but If not then we will do it on the 21. We chose that date because I will be 39 weeks and 2 days and it is also my husbands birthday, and he thought it would be neat if they shared a birthday.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My c-section with DS was an emergency c-section (I had been in labor about 18 hours, 3 hours of which were pushing), and my OB has said that a scheduled c-section has an easier recovery.  So with that said... 

Don't worry, the nurse will come in an help you get up whether you want to or not.  I was in recovery until 5:30 am, then went back to the room to try and rest for a while, and I think the nurse was in there around 10 am to help me get up.

While I was in the hospital, I had an ice pack on the incision the whole time.  That helped keep it cool and numb.  Also while I was in the hospital, I wore the hospital gown or a nightgown the whole time.  I only put on pants when I went home.  Just make sure the pants you are planning to wear aren't too tight, especially around the incision.

I agree with a PP on having a comfortable chair or glider/rocker to sit in because it is really hard to get in and out of bed the first week or two.  I got out of bed with DH's help before he left for work and then rested in my glider during the day when DS was sleeping.

The hard thing the first couple weeks was whenever I had to cough or sneeze (or wanted to laugh) - that hurt!

DS was born in July, so I tried to get out and walk (very short walks at first - I'm talking past a couple houses on my street and then back home) as soon as I felt able to.  Just don't push yourself physically.

Make sure you rest as much as possible.  Any new mom (or dad) needs a lot of rest, but remember, you are recovering from major surgery and your body needs time to repair itself.

• imageMrsJohnnaJohnson:

imagesjcoregon6:

Yes, that is exactly why! I don't want to be in the hospital on Christmas and neither does he. I think the c-sention is tentaive as of right now, we are going to check again at 39 weeks and if he has turned we will more than likely wait, but If not then we will do it on the 21. We chose that date because I will be 39 weeks and 2 days and it is also my husbands birthday, and he thought it would be neat if they shared a birthday.

Indifferent 

• imageWannaBeCrunchyMama:
    imageMrsJohnnaJohnson:

imagesjcoregon6:

Indifferent 

What, exactly, is wrong with that? She'll be in her 39th week, which is when almost all scheduled c-sections are scheduled for. Her and her doctor picked a convenient day that was in a safe time frame. It would be judge-worthy if they picked a day in the 37th week to avoid a holiday, but not in the 39th. Plus if the baby has turned they aren't going to do a c-section at all.

When I scheduled my c-section they told me I could have the 22nd (39w3d). I asked if the 21st was available because I would like to be home with my 4-year-old for the holiday. My OB doesn't have OR hours on the 21st so it's not possible. The other option was to schedule in my 38th week and neither my doctor or I were OK with that.

• imageMama_SAS:
    imageWannaBeCrunchyMama:
    imageMrsJohnnaJohnson:

imagesjcoregon6:

Indifferent 

What, exactly, is wrong with that? She'll be in her 39th week, which is when almost all scheduled c-sections are scheduled for. Her and her doctor picked a convenient day that was in a safe time frame. It would be judge-worthy if they picked a day in the 37th week to avoid a holiday, but not in the 39th. Plus if the baby has turned they aren't going to do a c-section at all.

When I scheduled my c-section they told me I could have the 22nd (39w3d). I asked if the 21st was available because I would like to be home with my 4-year-old for the holiday. My OB doesn't have OR hours on the 21st so it's not possible. The other option was to schedule in my 38th week and neither my doctor or I were OK with that.

There's nothing wrong with going into labor when the baby is ready and then getting the c-section. 

• I am having my section on the 21st too!!!  And yes, they schedule sections usually a week early because it is safer to go in when planned than to have an emergency section during labor.  Remember, it is major surgery, so youshould not eat for 12 hrs prior, etc.  So scheduling it prior to labor is standard.

I actually chose the 21st (at 39 weeks) because that is the day that my OB will be working and I did not want to have the surgery done by the back up OB that I do not really know.

As for being prepared, the only other advice that I can give is to pack for a longer stay in the hospital.  I did not plan to have a c/s with DS, so only packed for a day or two.  Being in the hospital for 4 days sucked, so this time I plan to have some comfort items with me including a TOWEL (that is the one thing I really wanted, the hosiptal towels sucked).  Some snacks/magazines, etc to help me get through the longer stay.  GL!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    imageMama_SAS:
    imageWannaBeCrunchyMama:
    imageMrsJohnnaJohnson:

imagesjcoregon6:

Indifferent 

There's nothing wrong with going into labor when the baby is ready and then getting the c-section. 

There is nothing wrong with planning a c-section with your doctor. 

A scheduled surgery has much less risk than an unscheduled one during labor, and it has a better recovery in most cases. 

• agreed.   If you've never had a c-section, please don't judget those of us who have. 

Most mom's will tell you (especially with their 1st) that they think everything will go perfectly & deliver normally............but flat out - it doesn't always happen that way.   My first was measuring extremely large & we scheduled my c-section to make sure there were no complications.  At the end of the day, I don't care if they pull the kid out my nose as long as everyone ends up healthy & able to go home.

Now I'm 3 weeks away from my 2nd schedule c-section.  I'll never thumb my nose at crunchy moms who want to deliver in a bathtub - might not be my style, but it's not my body nor my baby.   So for those of you who want to go all natural, no drugs, deliver in a bathtub, deliver on a hillside, whatever....please don't judge us c-section gals!

Just my two cents.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • My only advice would be the undies.  All I had were low in front, which was perfect for maternity but then I had an emergency c-section and all my underwear was at my incision!  I had to go to WalMart with my mom the day I left the hospital.  What I found I LOVED best was the tummy thinning kind that go all the way up to the waist.  It helped hold everything in, which means less weight on the incision.  Actually, a friend of mine lent me a couple kinds of medical gurdle thigns and they were wonderful!

My other advice is to not worry too much.  I was totally unprepared and unexpecting it, and was just fine. :-)

imageMama_SAS:
    imageWannaBeCrunchyMama:
    imageMrsJohnnaJohnson:

imagesjcoregon6:

Indifferent 

When I did my OB rotation, I asked why they schedule them early and don't want them in labor...the OB replied "would you want to work on a car with the engine running?"...when the uterus is contracting, there is more of a risk of bleeding too.

Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I would still try to get the baby to turn.  My first choice would be to see a chiropractor who is experienced with the Webster Breech Technique.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"