1st Trimester

To stay home or not? That is the question...

After being laidoff, I'm wondering if this isn't the perfect opportunity to try and find some at home work opportunities. There is a seminar that I will be attending tonight (although I would prefer not to leave the house as it is 15 degrees out and snowing heavily) on how to become an at home medical transcriptionist. I have 2 degrees already and LOVE to work. But the more I think about it, I have my whole life to work but only one opportunity to stay home with baby. Half of my monthly earnings would go to daycare anyway. Is anyone else in or was in this boat and can offer some advice? Thanks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: To stay home or not? That is the question...

• Hi I'm actually going through the same thing as well. I'm currently working but I don't know if I'm going to want to go back after the baby is born. 6-8 weeks just seems so early to me. I'm definitely going to take this time to save up as much as possible so that when baby is born and I decide to stay home we'll have some extra savings on stand by
  • I don't know that any of us can tell you what is best for you but here is my experience...

I graduated 5 months pregnant with DD and my field (interior design) was in bad shape from the recession so decided to stay home.  I have been at home with DD since she was born and don't regret a single moment of it (in fact, I LOVE it)!  I work VERY part time at a daycare and I bring her with me on those days.  Like you, our concern was the cost of daycare if I wasn't bringing in the big bucks so instead, we make little sacrifices here and there (dining out mainly) so that I can be at home.  For us, it has been wonderful and, if it works for you and your DH, I highly suggest it:)  Good Luck!    

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I also loved working and LOVED my job, I've worked since I was 16 and had a great job in a great company. I had planned on returning to work and had day care all lined up. I seriously cried every.single.day. thinking about leaving DD, and it was really really hard. About a week before I went back to work I was in a car accident and it bought me about another week to stay home, we sat down and figured with all the "work" expenses (gas, new clothes, lunches out,etc) minus the day care cost ($1000 a month) and added in my 45min commute to the wear and tear on the car (plus we ended up saving on insurance once I wasn't driving so much) we decided I should give it a go at staying home. We cut WAY back, but I would not change it for the world. It has been almost 2 years and I have loved it, all though it is hard. There are days when I wonder if I made the right choice, but I know I did. DD is very social and active and knowing her personality now, she would have loved daycare, but we are so busy with play dates and activities, she doesn't miss a thing! I say go for it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am a Independent Consultant for a company called Scentsy.  I absolutely LOVE it.  It's direct sales, kinda like Mary Kay or Avon, but I sell Wickless Candles.  I like that I am able to work when I want, and have time off when I want.  

Disclaimer - I am not trying to recruit you or anyone off of this board.  But maybe direct sales would be a way for you to have the income you desire, but also stay home with your baby.  
  • I don't have any children yet, but plan on staying home with this baby for at least the first year.  The first 6-8 months I don't really have a choice - my DH is military and we're in Korea, so not much for jobs for the spouses around here.  So I don't have much of a choice, but I am looking forward to being able to be there for my baby for some of the most important milestones in his/her's first year of life!
  • I work from home most of the year and honestly don't know how it is going to work without at least part time day care or me quitting my job.  I just don't see how the two things are compatible.  It is hard enough to stay motivated at home without a LO running around.  However if you do something that is flexible and allows you to make your own hours maybe it would work?  GL with whatever you decide!

Me: 32  H: 34
    DS #1: 8/10/11,  DS #2: 10/13/14
    TTC #3 since October 2017

• Like PP have said, only you know whether its feasible for your family.

I worked p/t after DD was born, would work from home during naps and on Fridays dropped her at a relative's house and went into the office.  That worked well until she got mobile.  Then she slept less, I got less work done, and she started tearing apart my cousin's house.  I quit when she turned a year because she was full on running thru my cousin's house, only down to one nap a day, and I was not getting hardly any work done at all and was having to work when she went to bed at night or work after DH was done working and not spend time with the both of them.  Going f/t wasn't possible with the company, and in the economy I wasn't finding a job worth the cost of daycare/commute. 

I haven't regretted quitting at all :)

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• Thank you everyone for the advice. I did run our budget like suggested and yes, it will be a stretch but ultimately we have decided to make it work. I have my whole life to get back into "career mode" but only chance to be home with baby and I just can't pass that up. I learned a lot from the seminar I attended last night and think I'm going to give at home medical transcription a try. As an independent contractor I would be able to work whenever and how much I wanted/needed. So while baby is napping, I can work. When daddy comes home, I can work. I can work on the weekends...That sort of flexibility would be a tremendous asset. Thanks again for your thoughts on the matter! I think us women of the 21st century think we need to do it all but sometimes it is nice to have to take a step back and enjoy life's gifts!
  • Congrats on deciding! I am a SAHM and I LOVE it. I loved my job as well/had a degree etc, but I wouldn't trade anything for the life I have now at home with my DD.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"