2nd Trimester

What is this feeling?

My lower abdomen from right above my pubic bone up maybe 2-3 inches is super tense.  Like I'm tightening my abs, only I'm not.  It feels almost like how a muscle cramp feels right before it completely cramps up if that makes any sense.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What is this feeling?

• Early Braxton hicks maybe?
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have been feeling this also for the last few weeks.  I'm curious to hear what others say.  I wasn't concerned enough to mention it at my Dr appt yesterday but I have been wondering about it.
  • Loading the player...
  • It could be Braxton Hicks. The uterus tightens up and then loosens. I got them around 17 weeks starting with DD and I think that's what they felt like because I remember calling and asking. As I got further along it was my whole belly tightening up and you could actually see it tighten. It would happen a lot when I was on my feet for awhile or walking a lot. Drink some water and put your feet up if it keeps bothering you and see if it goes away.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKWPNJumper55:
    Early Braxton hicks maybe?

I was wondering about that.  I have no idea what to expect with BH.  I always assumed they would come and go lasting for a couple of minutes.  This has been hours.

• Is this a sensation you are noticing as you are going about your day, etc.  Or do you feel the tension just when you touch your belly?

BH should come and go so I don't think that is it. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I heard it is everything stretching and shifting around!

• Could you describe it as a stitch that you get after you run or exercise? If you can, I have been having these lately too and my doctor said it RLP when I talked him at my appointment earlier today. Drink lots of water just in case and lay down! Feel better!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageiris427:

Is this a sensation you are noticing as you are going about your day, etc.  Or do you feel the tension just when you touch your belly?

BH should come and go so I don't think that is it. 

Nope, I don't have to touch it to feel it.  It's just there all the time.  

• imagecloey615:
    Could you describe it as a stitch that you get after you run or exercise? If you can, I have been having these lately too and my doctor said it RLP when I talked him at my appointment earlier today. Drink lots of water just in case and lay down! Feel better!

Nope, definitely not a stitch.  It doesn't hurt at all.  And I've felt RLP a bunch of times.  This is much different.

Maybe I have to poo??  :)

• imagegymnst1013:

imagecloey615:
    Could you describe it as a stitch that you get after you run or exercise? If you can, I have been having these lately too and my doctor said it RLP when I talked him at my appointment earlier today. Drink lots of water just in case and lay down! Feel better!

Nope, definitely not a stitch.  It doesn't hurt at all.  And I've felt RLP a bunch of times.  This is much different.

Maybe I have to poo??  :)

That definitely could be it. I have had that type of feeling too lately but I get it more in my lower belly area and honestly its pretty painful and does not go away until I go to the bathroom. 

• The only other thing besides RLP and having to go to the bathroom that I can think of is it could be a UTI. I had a UTI at around 12 weeks and I had huge amounts of pain in the area surrounding my pubic bone. I had no other symptoms besides that pain that would have signified a UTI to me. However, it felt more like someone was kicking me in my bones and did not let up until they put me on antibiotics. 
  • I just mentioned this on a previous post!!! I called it tightening and most where like what?? lol It could be bh but i think its way early for that honestly but all women are dif. for me i know its the baby curling or going into a ball. imagine tightening your fist that is how my stomach feels when the baby does it :)  And it's not to early for that at all!!! This is my 4th child, Dr. says i should be a pro at what my body can and cant do and know what it is or isnt doing lol
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageMichekke:
    I just mentioned this on a previous post!!! I called it tightening and most where like what?? lol It could be bh but i think its way early for that honestly but all women are dif. for me i know its the baby curling or going into a ball. imagine tightening your fist that is how my stomach feels when the baby does it :)  And it's not to early for that at all!!! This is my 4th child, Dr. says i should be a pro at what my body can and cant do and know what it is or isnt doing lol

I was about to say this. When my LO curls up all on one side I can feel it like that. It gets tight in that area. So that's a theory? If the baby is kicking or moving somewhere else then I have no idea though. :(

Chelsea; 7/22/2005 Carissa; 4/9/2011 Cassidy; 9/6/2012
    Baby #4; 7/7/2018
  • imagecloey615:
    The only other thing besides RLP and having to go to the bathroom that I can think of is it could be a UTI. I had a UTI at around 12 weeks and I had huge amounts of pain in the area surrounding my pubic bone. I had no other symptoms besides that pain that would have signified a UTI to me. However, it felt more like someone was kicking me in my bones and did not let up until they put me on antibiotics. 

I was actually just tested for a UTI last week and it was negative.  Last week was pain which is what made the doc suspect a UTI.  This doesn't hurt at all.  It's just tight.

• Hey Gym! I agree with PP, it's your LO. I've been getting it since about 14 weeks. It scared me in the beginning. I finally figured out it was LO when I gave a tiny push and it tightening left. Happens every time. Now I just say, "ahhhh, MOVE over!" hehehehehe

IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• imageBBColt78:

Hey Gym! I agree with PP, it's your LO. I've been getting it since about 14 weeks. It scared me in the beginning. I finally figured out it was LO when I gave a tiny push and it tightening left. Happens every time. Now I just say, "ahhhh, MOVE over!" hehehehehe

Hey BB!!  Weird because it totally doesn't feel like movement :)  I can't wait to feel honest to goodness kicks!

• Even though you're only 13 weeks, it could simply be your uterus (usually it's a little lower at this stage than you're describing, but everyone's different).  Baby's too small for it to be causing that, I think it's just your uterus.  It feels weird because it's an entire new organ/muscle you haven't felt before, but you'll notice it moves up as it grows.  Pretty weird when you first notice it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"