2nd Trimester

Any women in interfaith marriages/relationships out there?

My DH is Jewish and I am Christian, although neither of us very religious.  For those in interfaith relationships, what are you planning to do once your child is born?  Baptism?  Bris? As of now, we're not planning on doing either.  If we pick one, it will make the other side of the family angry.. so we just figured to tick off everyone off and not do one of the other.  If my DH or I felt strongly either way, I'd say we'd pick one... but we both think it's hypocritical to force one religion onto the child if we don't fully participate in the faith ourselves.  What are you doing?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Any women in interfaith marriages/relationships out there?

• I'm totally ignorant when it comes to this, but a baptism at a non-denominational church???
    Stephanie Hsu
  • If we went Christian route, we'd have a baptism in the methodist church I grew up in... You can have a baptism at a non-denominational church, but that still "officially" labels the child as Christian...

We plan on having plenty of open discussions with our child as he/she grows up and exposing him/her to both religions.. and if he/she wants to pick one of the other, we will be totally supportive.

• Loading the player...
  • DH and I are not religious either, but we have agreed that we want to bring up our children with some sort of faith. We're choosing one of the Protestant religions and are currently trying out services in our area to see which church we like and which fits our current belief and moral systems best.

What my family or his family thinks of it hasn't impacted our decision. It's not their kid.

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • I am Jewish and DH is Catholic. We are doing the same as you... the only thing we are trying to figure out (and we will discuss more once we know whether it will be a boy or girl) is the bris piece. We both agree that circumcising the boy (if thats that case) is what we want... but I don't really want him strapped to a board and it done without me there... and he agrees. But the whole religious part is tough. Some moyals (sp?) will do a "medical bris" in their office without the religious part... but I think my parents would be devastated if we went that route and didn't invite them. So that's still up for discussion...  

In the future we will teach our children about what we find is important about our own religions (being a good person, family, love, traditions). When they are old enough and wish to, they can decide to follow one or the other or continue to do both... or one that they find fits them better. We really just want to raise loving, good, family people.

• I am a ELCA Lutheran and my boyfriend has no religion.  I think I will teach my child and let them get baptized when they choose to.  If they want to.  I don't believe that God would turn a child away from Heaven making this decision... so that is what we are doing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with this... I don't believe a just God would ever send someone to he11 for not being baptized... I just feel bad because my Dad is really heartbroken over the whole thing.  However, I can't make such an important decision based on his feelings on the issue.  It's our child and it's a decision to be made by myself and my husband.  Hopefully he'll get over it with some time.

• imageRachel5782:

My DH is Jewish and I am Christian, although neither of us very religious.  For those in interfaith relationships, what are you planning to do once your child is born?  Baptism?  Bris? As of now, we're not planning on doing either.  If we pick one, it will make the other side of the family angry.. so we just figured to tick off everyone off and not do one of the other.  If my DH or I felt strongly either way, I'd say we'd pick one... but we both think it's hypocritical to force one religion onto the child if we don't fully participate in the faith ourselves.  What are you doing?

I'm Jewish and DH is Catholic.  We didn't baptize DS or have a bris.  We both agree with the bolded statement.

imageimage

• Nate and his family are Catholic. My adoptive parents are Muslim and Hindu and my bio parents are Catholic. I don't believe/follow organized religion. My MIL (and Nate) really wanted the twins to be baptized so I agreed. I had no preference and if it made them happy, I was glad to oblige. So, our kids are going to be baptized and they'll be introduced to all the religions/cultures of our families as our families are pretty religious but we won't force them to be one religion.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm the same boat, only reversed. I'm Jewish and DH is Catholic. Neither of us really practices, so we're just not going to worry about religion. I think it would be different if either of us were open to converting to the other's religion, but since we're not, we're just not going to worry about it. To us, it's more important for our children to grow up into good people than to worry about associating themselves with a particular religion. 

Besides, I really don't like the reform rabbi in our area, so I'm not really sure I'd feel comfortable having a Bris with him officiating. And DH doesn't even have a Catholic church in the area that attends at all. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My mom is Jewish and my dad is Christian and I was raised in line with what you all are saying.  We never did any baptisms or bat mitzvahs or anything.  My parents exposed me to some of the traditions of each religion but never forced either one upon me.  DH is Christian, though neither of us follows organized religion now.  We plan on teaching LO kindness, respect, compassion, etc. and will let her choose an organized religion if she wants to.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageRachel5782:

If my DH or I felt strongly either way, I'd say we'd pick one... but we both think it's hypocritical to force one religion onto the child if we don't fully participate in the faith ourselves.

This.  

My mom and dad were raised Catholic and Orthodox Jewish, respectively, but both ended up rejecting everything.  In fact, to say that my dad is Atheist is an understatement, "Anti-theist" might be more appropriate!  When my brother was born he made a huge deal out of how he refused to have him circumcised and what this represented to him.  DH's parents, on the other hand, are Methodist, and MIL is especially religious.  If our child receives any spiritual education whatsoever it will be non-denominational, which I think will slightly piss off both my dad and MIL, but oh well.  We'll just stress to our families that the child will be educated in all their cultural traditions and family history and I think they'll ultimately be ok with that.  Even my dad can appreciate telling his granddaughter funny stories about getting in big trouble with his own (4'10"-tall) mother for sneaking non-kosher sandwiches into the house.

• We do both, Im Jewish and DH is Catholic, when she grows up and chooses one or the other or something different then she will. And I grew up with both, my mother being Jewish and my dad being protestant and Im a normal functioning adult. We have a "holiday" tree and we do Hanukkah She has a hebrew name and she will probably have a first comunion. In my mind Jesus was a jew so from a "historical" standpoint one could not exist without the other. It works for us. GL :D
    photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ugh.  I dread this.  My parents are Jewish and Armenian and I was raised with good principles and some religious teachings from each.  My H is Catholic.  I consider myself Jewish.  However, since I have never been exposed to formal religion on a regular basis, it's not in me to attend services, I don't seem to connect.  I know...it's horrible.

My H and I have found a wonderful Unitarian Church, and so far we can't drag ourselves in.  I'd like to instill better faith in the LO, but so far, we can't even commit to it ourselves :(

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am Baptist and DH is Christian Science (not to be confused with Scientology). I am familiar with the rift in the family of having two different denominations. My Dad was Baptist and my Mom was Methodist. The only time I ever remember my folks fighting was over which religion my brothers and I would be. DH and I don't attend a church. We haven't found one we like and given our schedules right now, it's not been feasible.

• My husband is Hindu, I'm Catholic. We're not religious people, although we'll expose the child to both religions, Our decision is not to baptise him.
  • DH is Jewish (not religious at all) and I am Christian Indian. We will follow the Christian faith but we will hold out on the baptism until she decides that she wants to be baptized.
  • I'm Jewish, my husband is Catholic but neither of us is really practicing.  We aren't planning to do anything.  Religion isn't really important in our lives.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was raised Catholic and DH's family is Muslim but never really practiced. Neither of us are religious now or have any urge to be. I'm sure my family will be upset that we are not baptising the baby but I really don't care. Also, if DH begins to feel strongly to raise our children believing in Islam then he will but he will be responsible for it. Good luck to everyone dealing with this.
    BFP 7/17/12 DD#1 3/10/10 BFP 3/26/12 Natural MC 4/11/12 #2 Due 3/30/12
  • Since we don't plan to raise our DC in one particular religion, we did nothing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm Jewish, DH is Presbyterian, and our daughter attends a Quaker school (where I also teach). We didn't baptize or anything and we won't...we just celebrate holidays and leave it at that. When she's older, if she wants to choose, fine, but we're certainly not in a position to choose for her as non-practicing members.
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • We did neither and had our son circumcised at the hospital. We will do the same for this one. 
  • I am agnostic, my DH is Jewish. We always stressed that it was important to raise LO with both of our cultures (not necessarily religious, but I am Chinese and would like to celebrate certain traditions). So, our LO will be converted once he's born--we probably will have an informal bris (if there is such a thing) since DH was big on raising our LO under the Jewish faith. I never converted though my MIL surely tried. I just felt if I wasn't going to give something my 100%, then it wouldn't be right. Though, I have been told I'm more Jewish than most Jews...lol.

We're a very multi-cultural family (our wedding was Jewish, Chinese and military) so we think it's important to include as much as we can. I'm thankful that my parents and in-laws get a long. And when we get together, my family tries to keep everything kosher though sometimes things slip (my mom knows of the shellfish and pork, but often forgets the milk/meat rule).

my blog - cheese & cheesecake

Me: 31, DH: 34, Married 5/29/05
    BFP #1: 6/22/10, EDD 3/6/11, DS born 2/25/11 @ 38w5d
    BFP #2: 7/27/13, EDD 4/9/14, CP 8/3/13
    BFP #3: 8/31/13, EDD 5/10/13, DD born med-free 5/9/14 @ 39w6d 
  • My husband was raised Hindu and I am Catholic.  We plan on having our son baptized and will send him to a catholic school. 

We also think it is very important that he be taught about his Indian culture and thus be taught about Hinduism and celebrate that faith as well.

When he is an adult he can choose what faith to continue on with.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are doing the same as you. I am Jewish and my DH (I assume this means Dear Husband?) is Catholic. We will not be having a Baptism nor a bris (if boy, we are too soon to know the sex). We will bring up our baby with both religions and let them choose when they are older. I have already forewarned my mother of this, who is having a hard time, but she will have to deal. Her issue is that in the Jewish religion the child is what the mother is because you are positive who the mother is, not who the father is. I have told her this is the one thing I disagree with completely. It makes me feel like the mother can is an adulterer.

• We chose to circumcise at the hospital.  We are observing both of our traditions and hope to expose our children to both our cultures equally so our children can choose their own religious paths.
  • H and I are atheists from Catholic/Jewish/Presbyterian backgrounds (convoluted, much?). Our kids will be raised to think for themselves and if they chose a religion later in life, that's great, if not, that's great too.  The inlaws want Christenings, but that won't be happening. My SILs both had religious wedding ceremonies and plan on baptizing their kids, which in way makes me feel like we look bad to his parents, but at the same time, his parents don't know the first thing about their faith (I'd be surprised if they could name the first three books of the Bible) and never attend church.  I think we're making the right choice.
    Scrabble high score: 531
  • My husband's mother is Hindu, his father is Jain, and I was raised Catholic. We plan on teaching about all religions as the kiddies grow up, more of the "be a good person" aspect of each religion. I'm a little less religious than hubby. We like the social/cultural aspects of each ethnicity more than we're sold on religion. Truly, if one of my children wanted to be Buddhist, another Jewish, and a third Greek Orthodox - I'm fine with that.

Pregnancy Ticker

• My husband and I are both technically Catholic but neither one of us really believe in it.  We know we will have a fight on our hands when we decide to not have a baptism unless the child decides to when they are old enough to understand.  Both of our grandmothers gave us grief at first for having a civil ceremony for a wedding instead of being married by a priest.  A judge was perfectly fine in our book.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • "You can have a baptism at a non-denominational church, but that still "officially" labels the child as Christian..."

I'm not trying to be a snoot or anything, but this is not entirely accurate.  The only thing that really labels someone as a Christian is faith in the teachings of Jesus Christ.  Baptism is a sacrament practiced by Christians, not a means of salvation - kind of like how the act of circumcision doesn't automatically make someone Jewish.  The method and significance of baptism varies widely from one Christian denomination to the next.  I know it's nitpicky for a forum such as this, but just thought I'd point it out.  I'm not trying to start some massive theological debate or anything.  :)

My advice would be to consult with your husband and any friends/family members you respect, but ultimately make the decision YOURSELVES.  Religious beliefs are intensely personal, and your child is YOUR responsibility, not anyone else's.  Even if you and your husband did devoutly adhere to a particular religion, your child would still have to come to a point in his/her life when he/she embraces that faith independent of you or your husband.  You're the one that has to live with the decisions you make, so let them be yours and not someone else's.

Yes, it's important to get/take advice and consult those wiser than we, but here in America we are also blessed with the freedom to make parenting (and religious) decisions ourselves.  You and your husband should do what you feel most comfortable with and just develop a polite way to respond to anyone who criticizes it.  And yes, I understand the irony of giving the advice to basically ignore advice.  ;)  

• Can't have a 1st Communion in a Roman Catholic Church with out the baptism (though you may be able to do both at the same time).  The RC Church takes Communion very seriously.
  • I'm Jewish (through conversion) and was brought up Catholic, and my husband doesn't really feel connected to any religion.  DH is pretty easy going, and supportive of our kids being raised Jewish (Reform).  We are, however, both against circumcision, so we'll leave that decision up to any boys that we have, when they are old enough to decide for themselves.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • I'm in the same situation! However, if baby is a boy, we probably will have him circumsized for reasons of health not religion (although DH family can believe it's because of their Jewish faith!). 
  • I can't speak for any other religion out there, but I feel the need to point out that if you are Jewish (even if your DH is not), Judaism considers him Jewish regardless of what you practice in your home.  So choosing to circumcise him (even in a religious ceremony) is actually not hypocritical at all (it's not forcing any religion on him since he would be considered Jewish anyway), and it can save him a lot of trouble later in life (he will probably not be very happy with you if he has to get a circumcision later!).

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I am Christian and my boyfriend is a non-believer, though not totally against the idea of faith.. however I find it is important that we bring our daughter up to know the Lord. Not by force, but by example and teaching. She of course can choose her own route, but I am a firm believer (not saying that Christianity is perfect, but I believe as long as you have faith in God and try to live in accordance with his will, then He will always be there to guide us in our paths) and I know I wouldn't be alive if He didn't have some purpose for me (been in quite a few near-death situations).

Anyway my boyfriend was brought up strictly Roman Catholic, so he is jaded on the idea of religion as he did have it stuffed down his throat from a young age. I certainly don't believe that to be the right approach. He was baptized before he was too young to know the significance of such an event.. I'd rather my daughter choose to be baptized on her own accord. But at the same time, instilling the desire or encouraging your little ones to come into a relationship with the Lord is a wonderful idea if you're up for it (it's all about the approach).. if for no better cause than to instill good morals and a compassionate heart for others. Just my thoughts. Good luck with everything!

• But at the same time, instilling the desire or encouraging your little ones to come into a relationship with the Lord is a wonderful idea if you're up for it (it's all about the approach).. if for no better cause than to instill good morals and a compassionate heart for others.

It is possible to raise compassionate, moral children without religion and without instilling fear of an omnipotent being in them.  Agree with you on everything else, though.

Scrabble high score: 531
  • imageSntobeMrsLongo:

Her issue is that in the Jewish religion the child is what the mother is because you are positive who the mother is, not who the father is. I have told her this is the one thing I disagree with completely. It makes me feel like the mother can is an adulterer.

That's one theory.  Another is that it really ends up being the mother who has the final say in the home and raising of her children--traditional Judaism holds that women have a greater influence on husbands than the other way around.  Anyway, whether you like the reasons behind it or not, your child is Jewish if you are.  Choosing to or not to circumcise doesn't change your son's religious status whatsoever, but it can lead to a lot of confusion and resent if you don't and he tries to return to his roots later on.

I really don't get what the whole big deal against circumcision is...might as well do it so he has a fair choice without having to have painful surgery as an adult.  It seems to me that not circumcising is more along the lines of trying to choose his religion (or lack of it) for him than vice versa.

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I'm going to put this out there.  My husband and all of my uncles got circumcised as adults.  In my husbands case it was because his girlfriend at the time wouldn't have sex with him if he didn't.  One of my uncles had it done while in the military.  Something about diminishing the possibility of STD's (the foreskin supposedly holds in bacteria and germs).

One of my nephews (20 years ago) was circumcised using an experimental procedure (laser) and had his little penis burned.  My sister didn't agree to it but she never filed grievances against the hospital either.

My personal beliefe is to circumcise regardless of religion just to spare my child having to go through the trauma as an adult.  And as far as religion is concerned you'd be surprised by how much of a relationship children have with God.

My 3year old DD prays many nights and will wake me or my DH up to say Amen.  She has a full understanding of touching and agreeing.  She insists that I read the God book to her almost every night.  I take comfort in the fact that even if I don't have the relationship with God that I want, my DD does.

• My father is a Lutheran pastor, but I am not religious at all.  My husband is Jewish, also not religious, but cares a lot about passing on the Jewish culture and identity to our daughter.  First advice, which other posters say, is to just figure out what you want for your family and do it. 

What we did with our wedding and our daughter's birth is to modify the Jewish rituals to be more inclusive (not bringing in any Jesus references but acknowledging the fact that we are an interfaith family and our family has more than one custom to draw from).  We invite all family members to be a part of the event and participate.  I find that has worked well for a few reasons.  1.  Since we proactively plan something, family members tend to stop asking about what we will be doing and making suggestions. 2.  DH gets what he wants in terms of the Jewish identity.  3.  The grandparents get a modified version of what they want...at least there is SOME ceremony that they get to attend and take pictures of the baby in pretty dress clothes.  4.  Just because we do not practice a religion does not mean we do not have beliefs/morals and understand the importance of ceremony.  I hate the idea that if we don't pick one of two options, we are excluded entirely from doing anything.  So we just make up a third option. 

I would be happy to share a copy of the modified baby-naming ceremony we did, if that is a route you decide to go.  Good luck!!

• imagesarah.ancel:

My father is a Lutheran pastor, but I am not religious at all.  My husband is Jewish, also not religious, but cares a lot about passing on the Jewish culture and identity to our daughter.  First advice, which other posters say, is to just figure out what you want for your family and do it. 

What we did with our wedding and our daughter's birth is to modify the Jewish rituals to be more inclusive (not bringing in any Jesus references but acknowledging the fact that we are an interfaith family and our family has more than one custom to draw from).  We invite all family members to be a part of the event and participate.  I find that has worked well for a few reasons.  1.  Since we proactively plan something, family members tend to stop asking about what we will be doing and making suggestions. 2.  DH gets what he wants in terms of the Jewish identity.  3.  The grandparents get a modified version of what they want...at least there is SOME ceremony that they get to attend and take pictures of the baby in pretty dress clothes.  4.  Just because we do not practice a religion does not mean we do not have beliefs/morals and understand the importance of ceremony.  I hate the idea that if we don't pick one of two options, we are excluded entirely from doing anything.  So we just make up a third option. 

I would be happy to share a copy of the modified baby-naming ceremony we did, if that is a route you decide to go.  Good luck!!

I am catholic and my husband is jewish, and both of us practice, but neither of us are completely happy with our respective religious institutions.  We did the same thing- a modified wedding ceremony held outdoors with both a rabbi and a priest (we were really lucky to find people who were willing to be so flexible) and we received many compliments on our ceremony.  What kind of modifications did you do for the baby-naming ceremony? we're expecting our first in August and we both know we want to include both of our traditions in raising LO but probably not raise them one or the other.  

• My husband is Catholic and I am of another faith. When we were planning our wedding, there was a huge stink made because he was marrying someone from outside of his religion. We had plans on speaking with his Priest and made all the arrangements for his religion to be supported, but his extended family got up in arms and said if they didn't have certain things done at the wedding, and if they didn't see the papers we had gotten from his church allowing us to be married, they would not be attending. We did things the way we wanted for the wedding to make both sides happy. We were marrying in my Church, but I didn't want to cause problems with his church! In the end, everyone was happy. Now that we're trying for babies, I'm hoping we don't go through the same thing again.The babies will be Christened in our church (we both have gone to my Church ever since we met), but I can already hear the arguments about the baby being baptized, etc. We've decided strongly that we'll make our wishes known as soon as the baby announcement is made, and give them advance notice. If they don't agree with our decision, they don't have to come and support us! In the meantime, if we're asked to support their weddings/baby baptisms, I go, because to me, it means the same thing, just done in a different religion/church. I just hope when we have our's that they will support us the same way. We'll see!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"