2nd Trimester

naming child after dog who passed-too weird?

Our dog, Vienna, is no longer w/us + she was my husband's first dog.

Is it too weird to name our second child that name?

Our first child's name is Mahlia. Sibset sound okay?

Re: naming child after dog who passed-too weird?

• I think it's a pretty name, even though I think of the Vienna Sausages Surprise

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Would you be naming the baby that solely because of the dog? If so, that's kinda weird. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

I never held you, but I always loved you.
    Baby Squirt- September 2009
    Baby Turtle- May 2010
    Baby Surprise- August 2011
  • Loading the player...
  • That's why we named her Vienna b/c she was fat like a sausage, but had a beautiful face!
  • I get that dogs are like family - our pets are our babies, too - but I think your daughter deserves her own unique name. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah, should have made that clear.  Thanks for asking.  We just LOVE the name!  We loved our dog and we love our first baby girl!  How to come up with a 3rd beautiful girl name is really, really hard!
  • I think it's way weird. But I'm sure even weirder things have been done!
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • That's my feeling exactly, but my husband is just not letting it go.  The only other name we agree on is Julianna.  I'm reaching out b/c I'm not sure if I'm thinking rationally.  Thanks!
  • a little odd in my book.
  • imageStellar3713:
    I get that dogs are like family - our pets are our babies, too - but I think your daughter deserves her own unique name. 

Yes 

• Sorry but I think it's weird too. My beloved childhood dog was named Jackie and I love the name but I would never reuse it.
  • yeah that's weird
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • I'm sorry OP, I'm getting Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade flash backs.

"We named the dog Indiana." :::in Sean Connery voice:::

• I have wasted a lot of cute names on pets!  I thought about recycling but can't get my head around reusing a name I associate with a furbaby.  If you love the name, and the dog is no longer here (sorry Sad) then i guess you should go for it! I just personally couldn't..

• Totally normal. I'm naming this kid Mittens after my beloved childhood cat.
    "If you find a mate in life, you should be loyal. In your case, grateful."
    SAHM to two sweet girls, both born at home; Baby #3 in 2013!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • How about another European capital? Paris, Oslo, Warsaw?
  • I think you should ask for an alternate spelling suggestion on the baby names board and report back.  

• imageambrandau2:

I'm sorry OP, I'm getting Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade flash backs.

I know your dogs name is Scout, but when you posted I thought "Mommy, why did you name me doodle?"

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • imagemullenem:

Every child will someday ask, "mom, how did you come up with my name?"  I think that the last thing you would want to say is "we named a former dog Vienna because she was fat like a sausage and decided that it would be a good name for you"

HAHAHA - seriously, my husband and I are both laughing our asses off at this.  Brilliant. 

• Yeah, another wasted one was Josie! 
  • Excuse me while I wipe the mud off my shoes. 
  • imageEmjayTheHunted:
    Excuse me while I wipe the mud off my shoes. 

sadly I don't think this is mud

Photobucket
  • imagemagdalina.h:
    imageambrandau2:

I know your dogs name is Scout, but when you posted I thought "Mommy, why did you name me doodle?"

I could go in that direction and just name the child "Human."

Hmmm, that would simplify.

• imagemagdalina.h:

imageEmjayTheHunted:

I'm still hoping it is.

• imageambrandau2:
    imagemagdalina.h:
    imageambrandau2:

I could go in that direction and just name the child "Human."

Hmmm, that would simplify.

That's a good idea.  We're totally going to name Nugget Snoopy now

Photobucket
  • Honestly, I think its kind of weird. Plus I always eat my Chicago style Vienna beef hot dogs so it makes me think of that lol.
    Photobucket
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Natural mc @ 8 wks in Nov. '07, dd born 4/23/11, natural mc @ 6 wks in April '12, bfp 6/11/12...praying for a sticky baby!
  • imagemagdalina.h:

imageEmjayTheHunted:

Poor kid. 

• imagecdmaster:
    That's why we named her Vienna b/c she was fat like a sausage, but had a beautiful face!
    I think you just answered your own question.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

I never held you, but I always loved you.
    Baby Squirt- September 2009
    Baby Turtle- May 2010
    Baby Surprise- August 2011
  • imagemullenem:

Every child will someday ask, "mom, how did you come up with my name?"  I think that the last thing you would want to say is "we named a former dog Vienna because she was fat like a sausage and decided that it would be a good name for you"

LOL

Photobucket
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Natural mc @ 8 wks in Nov. '07, dd born 4/23/11, natural mc @ 6 wks in April '12, bfp 6/11/12...praying for a sticky baby!
  • imagecdmaster:
    That's why we named her Vienna b/c she was fat like a sausage, but had a beautiful face!

So you named your dog Vienna because she was fat and now you want to name your child after the dog?

Hm, no thanks.

Your daughter deserves her own name.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageStellar3713:
    I get that dogs are like family - our pets are our babies, too - but I think your daughter deserves her own unique name. 

This, plus it was that irritating girl on the bachelor LOL! It is a pretty name though...

photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Years ago, I dated a guy whose mom did this.  His friends razzed him about it every chance they could.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemullenem:

imageStellar3713:

This.  You could use a name similar to Vienna maybe...What about Vivian?  Every child will someday ask, "mom, how did you come up with my name?"  I think that the last thing you would want to say is "we named a former dog Vienna because she was fat like a sausage and decided that it would be a good name for you"

LMAO. I'm dying laughing!

OP, I agree with PPs that your child deserves her own unique name.

• I say if you like the name, go for it.  I'm also a crazy dog person though.
  • imagecruelsound:

imagecdmaster:

This wins as my favorite comment ever posted on TB.

This. OP, you're not making a good case for yourself with this statement. It's super-weird and as someone else mentioned, it reminds me of the crazy biitch from The Bachelor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagecdmaster:

Omg you are cracking me up right now! My best friend is the SAME WAY! Her (fur)baby girl passed away a year ago last May and she is determined to have a girl and name her after Kylie her late dog even though it's a crazy popular name now. 

So take comfort that you're not the only 'freak' out there ;D 

• We're naming our son Jack. I really liked Jackson, but that happened to be the name of my husbands first dog, and he refused. I still got Jack though :) I think maybe something similar to Vienna would be your best bet, good luck!
  • I don't think it's weird.  That's what I'm doing.  I'm naming my kid, boy or girl, Hunter; after the best doggie I ever knew.
  • So I am named after a dog who passed away right before I was born. My name it Tina. It doesn't really bother me. But I have a really silly sense of humor. If you end up having a really serious kid, it might be embarassing. Although, it's not like anyone asks me how my name was picked out so unless she brings it up it's no big deal.
  • Nooup. Don't worry. I wanted to name my daugther after my late ferret Sofi. Sofi had a great personality, she was independent and sweet and very smart! I was telling if my daugther turned out with those characteristics that would be great. ....OK, my husband did not let me name our child after a ferret...I still do not understand why??????

You guys go and name the baby Vienna..it is a great name!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"