2nd Trimester

well im only 17 and need some advice

I'm only 17 and 4 months along. Haven't been to a doctor and is afraid to tell my parents does anyone know a way to soften the blow? because i really need a doctor to make sure he/shes okay but im afraid to get kicked out. help?

Re: well im only 17 and need some advice

• like someone? please i really dont know what todo
  • The longer you wait the harder it will be to tell your parents, because they'll feel like you've been hiding it. There's no easy way, but it's better to just get it over with.

As far as going to the doctor, it's really important to get prenatal care for the health of the baby, and your own health as well. I know you may be 17 and scared, but you really need to do the responsible thing. 

You can PM me if you want to talk more

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm from Canada and I know the rules around health care are very different in the States, so pardon my ignorance.

Why do you have to tell your parents about your pregnancy in order to see a doctor?  Can't you just make an appointment and go on your own? 

• no since im only 17 i need a parent with me to go to the doctor.
  • i know i need to tell them and my mom keeps asking im just afraid to say yes
  • imagebreebree9702:
    no since im only 17 i need a parent with me to go to the doctor.

I don't think that's true... you could go to any walk in clinic, and with the whole doctor/patient confidentiality thing you could go on your own and your parents wouldn't have to know. I do strongly suggest telling them though.. better to just get it out. They may be mad, but who knows... they may help you out too.

• well my parents hate the father which is why i know they wont help because weve had the conversation before. and i do need one for my doctor and since im always grounded i cant get to a clinic easily. and i do plan on telling them but i just dont know how to say it bc i dont think me just saying "hey Im pregnant" will go over very well
  • imagebreebree9702:
    well my parents hate the father which is why i know they wont help because weve had the conversation before. and i do need one for my doctor and since im always grounded i cant get to a clinic easily. and i do plan on telling them but i just dont know how to say it bc i dont think me just saying "hey Im pregnant" will go over very well

Can you think of a better way? You said your mom has been asking, so she knows it's coming. If that's the only way you're going to go to the hospital, better to do it as soon as possible. You need to get checked out at the hospital.. even something as simple as a UTI can cause serious problems. Also some hospitals don't like taking new patients after you're so far along.... Just do it! Even if they don't like the dad, it's still their grandbaby. They will get over it. Better for them to be mad than for you or your baby to have serious medical problems.

• They are going to find out sooner or later. The sooner you tell them the better. It's not good to stress yourself out (that's how I went into labor early). You also need to see a doctor and start taking vitamins so the baby is healthy. I don't think there is a way to soften the news but you could write a letter with the news if your afraid to tell them face to face. You will start showing soon so you won't be able to hide it much longer. There are clinics you can go to but it would be best to tell your parents first and see how that goes. If they kick you out there are places that will help you. There are a lot of things the doctor needs to check out so you need to see one soon.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagecruelsound:

LOL that's what I'm thinking.. but hey, I'm alone on thanksgiving while DH is at work.

• Is there a high school counselor or someone that could help you out with getting to a doctor, at least until you are ready to tell your folks? I agree that you need to tell your parents, but while you figure out that part it's really important to get medical care. 

Maybe a high school counselor or teacher can connect you with a public health nurse (do you have those?) or maybe even prenatal vitamins.  

I'm assuming you are wanting to keep the baby. Am I correct?  (Don't feel like you need to answer.)

• Write an email or a letter. Even if they hate the dad your not going to change what has happened and who the dad is by waiting to tell them. At some point you have to tell them and deal with what has happened. You have to take the first step and let them know so you can start figuring things out and getting health care you need.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • okay ill try to this weekend
  • imageShannonMarieH:
    They are going to find out sooner or later. The sooner you tell them the better. It's not good to stress yourself out (that's how I went into labor early). You also need to see a doctor and start taking vitamins so the baby is healthy. I don't think there is a way to soften the news but you could write a letter with the news if your afraid to tell them face to face. You will start showing soon so you won't be able to hide it much longer. There are clinics you can go to but it would be best to tell your parents first and see how that goes. If they kick you out there are places that will help you. There are a lot of things the doctor needs to check out so you need to see one soon.

i agree with this post. the hardest thing is to tell your parents because you feat disappointment and rejection (esp since you mention the do not like the babys dad) but its best to inform them so that they can help you get on the right track for you and your babys future coz clearly it looks like you need your moms support. of course they may be disappointed but whats done is done and soon enough they will look forward to having a grandchild. all the best to you....

• imagedahansen85:

Is there a high school counselor or someone that could help you out with getting to a doctor, at least until you are ready to tell your folks? I agree that you need to tell your parents, but while you figure out that part it's really important to get medical care. 

Maybe a high school counselor or teacher can connect you with a public health nurse (do you have those?) or maybe even prenatal vitamins.  

I'm assuming you are wanting to keep the baby. Am I correct?  (Don't feel like you need to answer.)

ive tried making appointments with my counselor, but with all the graduation stuff going on at the moment theres really no time for her to see me, and yes i wanna keep the baby even if i may not be entirely ready for it. i dont think i could stand to give him/her up even if i wanted to.

• imagedahansen85:

Is there a high school counselor or someone that could help you out with getting to a doctor, at least until you are ready to tell your folks? I agree that you need to tell your parents, but while you figure out that part it's really important to get medical care. 

Ive tried making an appointment with my counselor, but with the graduation stuff going on its hard to keep appointments, and yes i wanna keep the baby. I dont think i could give him/her up if i wanted to

• imagedahansen85:

Ive tried making an appointment with my counselor, but with the graduation stuff going on its hard to keep appointments, and yes i wanna keep the baby. I dont think i could give him/her up if i wanted to

• sorry for the multiple posts
  • MUD.

*Walks away*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think you know exactly what you need to do.. and you knew even before you posted this I'm sure. You need to think about what's best for the baby instead of your parents' reaction.
  • Where I am from there is a place called planned parenthood, usually free but accept donations they could probably do some tests to see if the baby is okay or point you in the right direction, do you have anything like that?
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagea22f10:
    Where I am from there is a place called planned parenthood, usually free but accept donations they could probably do some tests to see if the baby is okay or point you in the right direction, do you have anything like that?

yes i do its just a hard time getting there. thats really the only issue is getting there.

• imagebreebree9702:

No you dont. Not for pregnancy. I was 17 when I got pregnant with my dd, I applied for Medicaid on me own, and made my appts on my own.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • just sit down with them, but make sure the tv is turned off and the phones are off.  Just sit them both down and say i have something that i need to tell you, and i dont want you to get upset, and that you really need their help. then tell them that you are pregnant with their grandchild, and you really hope that they can forgive you, and accept this baby as part of their lives.

Hopefully that will help.  it is never easy to tell your parents that you are pregnant, no matter how old you are.  I was 35 when i got pregnant with my first child, and trust me i still had a hard time telling them.

• In the united states when you are pregnant and underage you are considered an adult. Legally your medical providers can not disclose your care with anyone without your permission. You can go to the doctor (your family doctr) under your parents insurance and the doctor cannot disclose your care to your family. Call your doctor and ask them.
  • imageakating:
    In the united states when you are pregnant and underage you are considered an adult. Legally your medical providers can not disclose your care with anyone without your permission. You can go to the doctor (your family doctr) under your parents insurance and the doctor cannot disclose your care to your family. Call your doctor and ask them.

But FYI if they bill your parents insurance and your parents get a bill, whatever treatment you had will likely be on the bill.  This is how my dad found out I had LEEP procedure done in college.

Bottom line, come clean.  You made the baby, now do what's best for the baby not for you.  Get the treatment you need and that your baby desperately needs. 

~*BFP 12/19----Saw heartbeat at 6W 1D, natural miscarriage 1 week later*~ ~*BFP 7/01----Saw the heartbeat at 8W, No heartbeat and DNC 8/22*~ ~*BFP 3/20----Natural Miscarriage 4/10*~ 2/3/10- I was diagnosed with lupus anti-coagulant antibodies, which has been a factor in my multiple miscarriages.
    Once Upon a Princess Tutus
    My Life as a Future Mom
  • I was only fifteen when i had my first baby..and the best thing for you to do is to just tell them. Eventually you are going to start to show. plus you need to get prenatal care for that baby.Your parents will probably be upset at first but eventually they will get over it : )
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You gotta tell them. They are eventually going to find out and the longer you wait the angrier they are going to be that you hid this from them. As for seeing a doctor, you need to as soon as possible. In the meantime make sure you are taking prenatal vitamins (you can buy them over the counter in any drug store), do not drink or smoke if you do and try to take care  of yourself. Your parents might be mad at first when you tell them but its better that you tell them than having them find out on their own and they will get over it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekattmurphy:
    I was only fifteen when i had my first baby..and the best thing for you to do is to just tell them. Eventually you are going to start to show. plus you need to get prenatal care for that baby.Your parents will probably be upset at first but eventually they will get over it : )

sooo ... does that make you 17 or 18 now?

• imagejenerally?:

imagekattmurphy:
    I was only fifteen when i had my first baby..and the best thing for you to do is to just tell them. Eventually you are going to start to show. plus you need to get prenatal care for that baby.Your parents will probably be upset at first but eventually they will get over it : )

sooo ... does that make you 17 or 18 now?

Exactly what I thought when I read this. I kind of did a double take!

OP- You need to tell your parents. You're having a baby. The first responsible thing you need to do, is own up to that. How can you expect to raise a baby and all the tough things that come along with that if you can't even tell your parents you're pregnant?

• imagekattmurphy:

Hmm You are on child number 3, you're 18 and you're excited about it? How did you not learn your lesson the first time around?

ETA: sorry, I got sidetracked. OP- Pull up your big girl pants and tell your parents. If you are old enough to take the risk then you can step up and tell them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker C:fakepathcute.jpg
  • You need to tell your parents. It's silly that this is even a question. You are gonna have to grow up REAL fast pretty soon, best take the first step now. That includes taking proper care of your child. Seriously, tell your mom, make a doctor's appointment and get to it. It's time.
  •  --only planned parenthood does not have prenatal services (at least in NC) I didn't realize it - i've always bought my pills through them and just assumed they had prenatal/delivery, etc.

As a last resort you could always go to the emergency room for "bad cramping" or something....(feigning ignorance)

(but this would cost more than 'fessing up and going to an OB)

but I don't really recommend  that you lie to your parents..you will feel better if you just say it.

• I am not bragging by any means but FI and I had just gotten engaged, my parents werent real thrilled about that then I got pregnant.  It was tough and it took me about 2 days after finding out before I sat down with my parents and told them. I actually told my sister first so that really helped talking to her about it.  My dad flipped (of course) I am his baby, still in college and just moved back in with them. But after talking we worked things out! He also had 8 months to get used to the idea. Now, he wouldnt trade kylie for anything in the world! He is so in love with this little girl, calls everyday to see how she is, helped FI and I get our own place and get settled, and still stops in every now and then to see her.  They will love the baby once it's here but you HAVE to tell them.  Maybe sit down with your mom ALONE first. I told my mom first, then she helped me tell my dad.  You need someone right now that you can talk to. It will all work out in the end.
  • imagebreebree9702:

This is not true.  As soon as you become pregnant you become emancipated.

ETA: Also wanted to add since I am a health care worker,  no one in health care is allowed to tell your parents.  You are the only one.  Now billing may come to them if you go with their insurance.  You need to tell them anyway, no matter what.  There isn't anything you can do to make it easier on them.  It's going to be a shock no matter what.  I am old enough to be your Mom and I am pregnant with my first child and I am scared as hell.  I understand this is scary, but you aren't going to be able to do this yourself without help.  Like PP said, you need to put your big girl panties on and tell them.

• Just in case this isn't MUD...

Put on your big girl panties and tell your parents.  You need to be seeing a doctor, taking prenatals, and taking better care of yourself.

It's not about YOU anymore, you have another life that is 100% dependent on you.  If you're planning to keep that baby, you have to start putting his/her needs ahead of your wants. 

Husband has cystic fibrosis. I'm a carrier. We did TESE, IVF, ICSI, and PGD. After two failed IVFs, we were blessed with our twins.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • This company is right down the street form me, and I see their billboard every day. Please call them and check it out, they are very supportive for young mothers and can answer a lot of your questions. I hope this helps.

https://www.birthright.org/

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Can I ask why any pregnant teen post is automatically a MUD? I know many pregnant teens and teen moms who desperately need information.

bree - Please go to a doctor. You may end up losing your baby or having am unhealthy baby because of your lack of prenatal care. That will be tougher to deal with than your parents finding out. You cannot be too scared to tell your parents. Does the father know? How about his parents?

• I'm sure it wont be easy, but just tell them.

I had plenty of friends in high school that got pregnant. Their parents weren't happy at first but came to accept it. Not one of them was kicked out of their home.

• acutally, in the US, especially in Ga (i know because i live there) once you're pregnant, you're basically an emancipated minor. that's what they told me, anyway. i was seventeen when i found out i was pregnant, although i'm eighteen now. you can go to the health department or your doctor, you just need to call and tell them you're pregnant. 

i really think you should tell you're parents, though. i don't know what to tell you to expect, because i've been on my own for awhile. just trust that they love you. they'll have to know eventually, anyway. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"